New Home Theater Advice

Thanks Elangaos. I hope I am in the right Direction.

Yup.. very much.. Wait for some more suggestion on ideal room from other members too..

Nah Nah This will be for the TV in ground floor for general Entertainment. That area will have huge glass wall almost 200 sqft. I am not even looking for HT there :)

Ok cool..

I have choice to build shutters from outside to full eliminate the light from the window.

Ok.. Metal shutters?.. Dark tint glass window, should cut the light by half... And a dark curtain should subside the remaining.. Just thinking on room aesthetics..

My only concern here is the speaker placement and Acoustics management due to the new French Window I am doing. If hanging from the ceiling is a good option I can do that for the surrounds.

If you are looking for 9.2.6 layout, then i think the speakers are best at ear-level, to distinguish the overheads..

Surrounds are best at ear level, or mounted higher than that depending on preference / convenience in your room..

Otherwise I have to fix the speaker position on the wall first and correspondingly position the door.

For the media room you are looking at, you may have issues only for surr back..As you are planning for a door there.. There, you can position the surrback on the wall above the door and tilt it towards your listening position..

Since rear wall is good for reflections, will glass be okay there or does it need treatment (like panel that slides)

Sorry, i have no experience with room acoustic panel.. Having read some members suggestions, to treat some-part of rear wall is good.. Plz wait for detailed inputs..

Wouldn't 175" diagonal need a large viewing distance. For the primary seating I was thinking around 12' or so from the screen.

Not much.. I watch 100 inch diagonal 16:9 screen from approx 11 feet distance comfortably.. Between 12 ~ 15 feet should be fine.. If you think 175 is large, you can settle for 150.. Bigger screen is better IMO..

How forward will the AT screen come- 2' or 3'.

2 feet at the maximum from front wall is enough..

With this one row (3/4 seats) will be around 14'-15' from the front Wall. Rear wall will be 3' - 4' behind,will this be enough space for speakers. (Additional seating will be bean bags or fold able chairs pulled in/futon).

Most HT set-ups that i have come across have been in the living room :).. Can guess from your room size.. Should be just fine..

I just checked this on a wall. Woah, width will probably be the full room. some specs I got from amazon

• 176-inch Diagonal, 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 69.0" H x 162.0" W. Overall Size: 73.6" H x 166.7" W.
  • 180-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 88.3" H x 156.9" W. Overall Size: 92.9" H x 161.6" W x 1.6" D.
  • 165-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 81.0" H x 144.0" W. Overall Size: 85.6" H x 148.5" W x 1.6" D.
Which aspect Ratio is the preferred one for the projectors. My plan is to have lots of kids movies/Telugu Movies/ English. When I am alone I will watch lots of TV Series (netflix or Prime). Live Sports for groups

16:9 IMO.. Can do both 16:9 fully for all media (youtube, casting from mobile) on 175 inch screen & a 21:9 (for most movies) with black bars on top & bottom..

Coming to the projectors, how good is the screen masking feature in them when playing different ratios.

No idea on that..

Do we get the woven AT screens in India or the perforated ones. I read Woven screens are a very good choice.

You can get perforated ones from theater dealers.. But one FM suggested not to go for perforated and instead look for woven..So i procured spandex lycra from Tiruppur and DIY AT screen, 100 inch diagonal..

This will not be a constraint as I have the spare room and no problem with the Leds distracting. One more thing how do one maintain the speakers behind the AT screen if it is fixed.

Good one :).. Other than dusting, i don't think you need to do for maintain speakers..Based on how big screen you settle for, you might squeeze some space on either sides and use that to access behind the screen.. Just a thought..

Yup.. very much.. Wait for some more suggestion on ideal room from other members too..
Done. Have 5 more days time before I need to freeze the drawings.

Ok.. Metal shutters?.. Dark tint glass window, should cut the light by half... And a dark curtain should subside the remaining.. Just thinking on room aesthetics..
Shutters from outside. Internal it will be blinds/curtains. Have a few pitch black stuff which can be covered with a top layer

If you are looking for 9.2.6 layout, then i think the speakers are best at ear-level, to distinguish the overheads..

Surrounds are best at ear level, or mounted higher than that depending on preference / convenience in your room..

For the media room you are looking at, you may have issues only for surr back..As you are planning for a door there.. There, you can position the surrback on the wall above the door and tilt it towards your listening position..
I am leaning towards 7.2.4. If I can experience the 9.2.6 somewhere, I will take a call on that. Primarily I want some space for people to move around :)

Sorry, i have no experience with room acoustic panel.. Having read some members suggestions, to treat some-part of rear wall is good.. Plz wait for detailed inputs..
Too much reading is muddling the information I am having. Kind of confused on the order. I will post sepearetly on this

Not much.. I watch 100 inch diagonal 16:9 screen from approx 11 feet distance comfortably.. Between 12 ~ 15 feet should be fine.. If you think 175 is large, you can settle for 150.. Bigger screen is better IMO..

16:9 IMO.. Can do both 16:9 fully for all media (youtube, casting from mobile) on 175 inch screen & a 21:9 (for most movies) with black bars on top & bottom..
Cool. Sounds like going for as large as possible does not deter the viewing experience

You can get perforated ones from theater dealers.. But one FM suggested not to go for perforated and instead look for woven..So i procured spandex lycra from Tiruppur and DIY AT screen, 100 inch diagonal..
I also keep reading about woven ones. Will do further research on this.

Good one :).. Other than dusting, i don't think you need to do for maintain speakers..Based on how big screen you settle for, you might squeeze some space on either sides and use that to access behind the screen.. Just a thought..
I now feel I can create space even if I get full screen. One is side entry near existing window space (make a small door). Other one from equipment room

Done. Have 5 more days time before I need to freeze the drawings.

Shutters from outside. Internal it will be blinds/curtains. Have a few pitch black stuff which can be covered with a top layer

Ok got it..

Primarily I want some space for people to move around :)

I can understand that.. Look for wall mountable speakers which are not too deep, so that not obstructive when moving around the room..

I am leaning towards 7.2.4. If I can experience the 9.2.6 somewhere, I will take a call on that.

Pro FX deals with Denon AVR.. This Denon X 8500 is a flagship AVR.. I doub't if they would have one for demo.. They might just procure it for you against order.. Anyways, give a shot..

9.2.6 is King size HT set-up.. There is no looking back.. Even if you get the Denon 8500, you can settle for a 7.2.4 layout if you feel there too many speakers are in the room.. Always go for the kill ;)..

Since you had a very good budget, suggesting was towards owing a great product.. Up to you to choose/decide based on room limitation..

Too much reading is muddling the information I am having. Kind of confused on the order. I will post sepearetly on this

Open a new thread, with Acoustics in the title and you would some more suggestions..

Cool. Sounds like going for as large as possible does not deter the viewing experience

Yup.. Visually, more satisfying

I also keep reading about woven ones. Will do further research on this.

Ok..

I now feel I can create space even if I get full screen. One is side entry near existing window space (make a small door). Other one from equipment room

Ok great.. I did the DIY AT screen, some time back with members inputs.. Here is the thread if it would give you some ideas - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-acoustic-transparent-screen.67092/

For the past few days I was reading various threads on what steps to follow for a green field Media Room.

At some places I read acoustics should be done first. At others buy speakers and do the needful adjustments followed by acoustics.
For a room that is still in Civil stage, both the sequence of steps work for me. Now What is the best order to follow.

1) Equipment
-What will be the Minimum equipment needed to start with for 7.2.4 layout
- Is it better to run speaker wires longer by a few feet and cut them after final positioning. Do speakers have wire length indication if any which the performance starts to deteriorate
- Projector Screen. should AT screen should be purchased at the start itself to get right acoustics

2) Acoustics Treatment after speakers are positioned
- If this is done later will it be only incremental improvement?

or Acoustics first/ Equipment later.

Is it better to purchase all the equipment for the Media room before hand itself including the seating as each element will have some impact on the acoustics. Do front walls need acoustic treatment irrespective of speaker positioning.

Coming to the equipment, gradual addition seems to be unanimous choice. What should be the order of equipment if the focus is both movie/music.

If the budget is limited what should be the preference given for each equipment to get a rich experience from using the HT. Generally my preference is to buy best where equipment has long life cycle. For ones which have very short life cycles, I prefer the VFM route.

Speakers (7.2.4) - Buy the best right now or easily up-gradable
Left
Right
Center
Surrounds

Subs
Wiring & cables -

Electronics -
Projector -
BDP -
AVR -
Stereo Amp -
IR remotes-
Screen -
HDMI Cables-
Ethernet vs wifi-
Additional Connectivities-
Anything else to consider -

Ancillaries for the Media Room
UPS -
Stabilizer -

Ok got it..
9.2.6 is King size HT set-up.. There is no looking back.. Even if you get the Denon 8500, you can settle for a 7.2.4 layout if you feel there too many speakers are in the room.. Always go for the kill ;)..

Since you had a very good budget, suggesting was towards owing a great product.. Up to you to choose/decide based on room limitation..
Done. Sounds like a good choice if the budget permits

Open a new thread, with Acoustics in the title and you would some more suggestions..
I will cross post in the acoustics thread.

1) Equipment
-What will be the Minimum equipment needed to start with for 7.2.4 layout

AVR + speakers + cables + BR Player / Media player..

- Is it better to run speaker wires longer by a few feet and cut them after final positioning.

Yes.. Good to have some extra length.. But good to make a rough layout and calculate the distances..

Do speakers have wire length indication if any which the performance starts to deteriorate

Never done this.. Don't think it is required..

- Projector Screen. should AT screen should be purchased at the start itself to get right acoustics

AT screen can be done once the room is ready with civil work.. You can consider positioning panels behind the AT screen.. inbetween the L-C-R..

This would be better IMO.. Positioning panels is easier after speakers are placed at ideal/preferred locations..

Speakers (7.2.4) - Buy the best right now or easily up-gradable

I would say buy the best with in your budget and finish it & then optimise with positioning & acoustics..

AVR + speakers + cables + BR Player / Media player..
Thanks. I think its is time I start reading and auditioning the AVR's. I am looking to see if multi room options are possible.
  1. HT on the second floor - primary entertainment center
  2. First Floor- May be a few speakers scattered in the hall to play music
  3. Ground floor - It will have a TV and I am looking for a few speakers to play music.
I read some AVR's can support this. Any reasonably priced AVR for this. Or will I need a specialized one. If it gets too expensive, I will explore individual options

Yes.. Good to have some extra length.. But good to make a rough layout and calculate the distances.
I will do the layout and share it once I have the seating plan confirmed.

Never done this.. Don't think it is required..
@sdurani shared this. See table: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
For longer run of the wires, it may make a difference. for shorter lengths should not matter much

AT screen can be done once the room is ready with civil work.. You can consider positioning panels behind the AT screen.. inbetween the L-C-R..
I will do that. Just the doubt whether it should be done before or after speaker positioning. What is the preferred color behind AT screen for the acoustic panel /wall

This would be better IMO.. Positioning panels is easier after speakers are placed at ideal/preferred locations
This seems to be the unanimous feedback as well

I would say buy the best with in your budget and finish it & then optimise with positioning & acoustics..
Only that there are too many elements. I am wondering what will not really improve much after a few years vs some which change very frequently.

Thanks for your inputs elangoas. They have been of real help.

Thanks. I think its is time I start reading and auditioning the AVR's. I am looking to see if multi room options are possible.
  1. HT on the second floor - primary entertainment center
  2. First Floor- May be a few speakers scattered in the hall to play music
  3. Ground floor - It will have a TV and I am looking for a few speakers to play music.
I read some AVR's can support this. Any reasonably priced AVR for this. Or will I need a specialized one. If it gets too expensive, I will explore individual options

Yes.. AVR's do have this Zone feature, for multi-room use capability.. I haven't used this feature / never looked into it.. Will check for info..

I will do the layout and share it once I have the seating plan confirmed.

Just an idea: Use an A4 sheet, and relate the dimensions of your room to the paper.. Once you have listening position fixed, use a protractor on the listening position and mark the speaker layout for a maximum of 9 bed speakers on the walls/floor using the Dolby guide PDF link in the above post.. This will fairly give you an idea on where the speakers would be in the room..

@sdurani shared this. See table: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
For longer run of the wires, it may make a difference. for shorter lengths should not matter much

Am sorry.. I misread your query on cable deterioration and missed the length indicator, which is why i said it was not reqd.. I stand corrected..

I will do that. Just the doubt whether it should be done before or after speaker positioning.

I think you having said, you can create/squeeze some space to the sides of the AT screen, you should be able to reposition the mains if reqd.. But, even if you have to reposition them, it may not be more than a feet for the L/R..

What is the preferred color behind AT screen for the acoustic panel /wall

No much inputs on this.. But i feel that a darker colour (black) is good behind the screen as it absorbs and not diffuse light..

This seems to be the unanimous feedback as well

Only that there are too many elements. I am wondering what will not really improve much after a few years vs some which change very frequently.

Didn't get this..

Thanks for your inputs elangoas. They have been of real help.

Thank you.. Glad my inputs was of help.. I too have learned a few things from your queries..cheers..

Last edited:
Yes.. AVR's do have this Zone feature, for multi-room use capability.. I haven't used this feature / never looked into it.. Will check for info..

Just an idea: Use an A4 sheet, and relate the dimensions of your room to the paper.. Once you have listening position fixed, use a protractor on the listening position and mark the speaker layout for a maximum of 9 bed speakers on the walls/floor using the Dolby guide PDF link in the above post.. This will fairly give you an idea on where the speakers would be in the room..
I was thinking alone the same lines.

I think you having said, you can create/squeeze some space to the sides of the AT screen, you should be able to reposition the mains if reqd.. But, even if you have to reposition them, it may not be more than a feet for the L/R..
Done.

Things like speakers don't really change much but input sources may need upgrade more frequently. Projector support HD vs 4k. Laser projectors etc. So if the pie if fixed which should be given higher priority

What type of flooring will be optimal given the dry and dusty conditions we have. I can do anything (Wood/tiles/marble etc) as long as it is easy to clean. Carpets are dust magnets so kind of skeptical to do them. May add rugs at the initial reflection points for acoustic treatment if needed

Things like speakers don't really change much but input sources may need upgrade more frequently. Projector support HD vs 4k. Laser projectors etc. So if the pie if fixed which should be given higher priority

True.. Below are IMO..

1) AVR
2) Speakers
3) Projector - FHD Vs 4K - This will depend more on your media sources (BR Discs, BR Rips).. If most of them would be FHD, then it would be better to get a FHD projector..

What type of flooring will be optimal given the dry and dusty conditions we have. I can do anything (Wood/tiles/marble etc) as long as it is easy to clean. Carpets are dust magnets so kind of skeptical to do them. May add rugs at the initial reflection points for acoustic treatment if needed

No input here.. But, have read that tiled/hard surfaces reflect more sound.. I think carpet..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back