new home theatre setup for 2.5 - 3 L - need advice please

ultisel

Dear all
I am very thankful for all the forum members for the dynamic discussions. I am planning to get a new home theatre for my home here in Chennai. I visited the BOSE showroom and was not feeling happy and so went to look for customised options. I already have an entry level Yamaha HT which will be probably small for my room. I have narrowed down on the following options..
1. Denon AVR 3500H
2. dual subwoofers - definitive technology pro sub 800
3. Jamo S 807 + S 83 CEN + S 803 + S 801

total quoted cost is 3.1 lacs including cables and installation. I have attached the pictures of the room and dimensions. Please let me know if these components/package is good and the cost is appropriate. Thanks in advance.

living 1.jpgliving 2.jpgliving room.png

Your AVR selection is good. If you are planning to listen to music as well, you can consider Marantz.

For subwoofer, I would suggest SVS PB-1000 or PB-2000 (if you are ready to stretch the budget).

You can evaluate more brands of speakers like KEF, SVS, Dali, Elac etc.

If you are considering tower front speakers, you need to plan the space for them on left/right of the TV unit.

Where will you place two subwoofers? Is the placement flexible?
What's your listening distance from speakers ?
Distance between left and right speaker ?

Your AVR selection is good. If you are planning to listen to music as well, you can consider Marantz.

For subwoofer, I would suggest SVS PB-1000 or PB-2000 (if you are ready to stretch the budget).

You can evaluate more brands of speakers like KEF, SVS, Dali, Elac etc.

If you are considering tower front speakers, you need to plan the space for them on left/right of the TV unit.
Thanks. I started at 2 L and have stretched to 3 L already . Is Dali spekter better than Jamo S. I heard some remarks from dealers about Jamo. It will be primarily for movies and about 30% music.

No plans for height speakers? Your receiver supports Atmos/dtsx
We though of putting ceiling speakers but deferred later. At the level where a man is sitting in the photo we have made provisions for 2 speakers on each side. Will that be useful?

Where will you place two subwoofers? Is the placement flexible?
What's your listening distance from speakers ?
Distance between left and right speaker ?
I had planned to put the subwoofers - one below the tv and the other at the end of the family/dining room about 30 feet apart. There was no provision for wiring in between to take to the floor level. The right and left speakers would be about 13 feet apart. Distance from the TV/floor sanders and the listening point would be about 12-15 feet.

I had planned to put the subwoofers - one below the tv and the other at the end of the family/dining room about 30 feet apart. There was no provision for wiring in between to take to the floor level. The right and left speakers would be about 13 feet apart. Distance from the TV/floor sanders and the listening point would be about 12-15 feet.
Great.. the speaker distances and listening distance is good.

I started at 2 L and have stretched to 3 L already .

1. Denon AVR 3500H

Since you are ale to stretch upto 3 Lacs now, would suggest Denon x 4400 / Marantz SR 6012, both 9.2 capable AVR out of the box and upto 11.1 (7.2.4 layout).. Since you have false ceiling done, consider adding 4 heights for more immersive HT experience.. If both of the AVR is not possible then consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 capable AVR (either 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4) capable layout..

2. dual subwoofers - definitive technology pro sub 800

Dual subwoofers are good.. But how much do the dual def tech pro sub 800 cost?.. There could be some inexpensive options that you may consider..

3. Jamo S 807 + S 83 CEN + S 803 + S 801

When you have dual subs taking care of below 80hz, all you need is smaller BS all around you.. So consider a BS speaker from brand of your liking..

Since you are ale to stretch upto 3 Lacs now, would suggest Denon x 4400 / Marantz SR 6012, both 9.2 capable AVR out of the box and upto 11.1 (7.2.4 layout).. Since you have false ceiling done, consider adding 4 heights for more immersive HT experience.. If both of the AVR is not possible then consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 capable AVR (either 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4) capable layout..

Dual subwoofers are good.. But how much do the dual def tech pro sub 800 cost?.. There could be some inexpensive options that you may consider..

When you have dual subs taking care of below 80hz, all you need is smaller BS all around you.. So consider a BS speaker from brand of your liking..
Thanks for the reply. Actually I was quoted 95k for Denon and 1.01 L for Marantz. So should be ok. Will Marantz be a better option if that two.

Dual subwoofers are quoted at 75 k. The room is windy and close to the see. So I thought it would be better to stick to the stronger ones.

What would be your suggestion for the speaker package. Rational reduction of the package cost would be most welcome for me now. I considered Mission LX3 and Yamaha also.

At what height will you place your surround speakers?
Won't they be too protruding?
Yeah the speakers are a bit protruding. On the left side they come on the ledge so that is ok. One pair is at about 4 feet and the other is at 7-8 feet.

What I meant was since I did not do the ceiling speakers will I be missing out a lot.

Yeah the speakers are a bit protruding. On the left side they come on the ledge so that is ok. One pair is at about 4 feet and the other is at 7-8 feet.

What I meant was since I did not do the ceiling speakers will I be missing out a lot.
No.. not much.. And anyway these speakers are Atmos ready.. So you can place the Atmos speakers on these .

I would go with 5.2.1 in your case instead of 7.2
And add another subwoofer only if required.
As your space is large you will get good clean bass even with a single sub.

Those speakers will placed above your front speakers.. 2 speakers will be sufficient.
Please do not try ceiling firing atmos speakers. I had bad experience with Elac and Pioneers. Their performance is marginal. Better option would be ceiling speakers or elevations speakers. Also very less content relating to atmos. For my setup, elevation works better than atmos

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was quoted 95k for Denon and 1.01 L for Marantz. So should be ok. Will Marantz be a better option if that two.

95K for Denon x 4400 & 1.01L for Marantz 6012?.. 95K for Denon x 4400 seems a good price..

Dual subwoofers are quoted at 75 k. The room is windy and close to the see. So I thought it would be better to stick to the stronger ones.

This on looks to be a 8inch driver.. I doubt if it will dig deeper in the freq response, also if sea wind would do anything to subwoofer freq..

You may consider other 12 inch sub offerings inside your budget of 75K..

What would be your suggestion for the speaker package. Rational reduction of the package cost would be most welcome for me now. I considered Mission LX3 and Yamaha also.

Taga Harmony Platinum range of speakers.. I would try to complete the set-up with as many speakers as possible.. My suggestion would be Taga LCR-60, for it is 14K per speaker and shallow in depth (11cm) and has flexible wall mount options.. I would buy 7 of these speakers and wall mount it in the room to complete the bed layer..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back