New Import Taxes and Duties Applicable 2020

What about a product ordered from say, Amazon USA? Amazon calculates shipping and duties and adds it to the final price. Is this duty/ tax paid to Amazon accepted by our customs?

What about a product ordered from say, Amazon USA? Amazon calculates shipping and duties and adds it to the final price. Is this duty/ tax paid to Amazon accepted by our customs?
You probably should rephrase your Q. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking whether the Indian Customs guys will accept duty that Amazon will pay on your behalf because they have already collected it from you? If yes, why would they not?

Yes, Amazon will pay the duties on your behalf maybe through FEDEX or any other courier company getting your stuff & deliver to your door step. You have to upload the original scanned copy of your KYC document like an Aadhar or passport to the courier's portal after their intimation.

You probably should rephrase your Q. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking whether the Indian Customs guys will accept duty that Amazon will pay on your behalf because they have already collected it from you? If yes, why would they not?
You have just deciphered my extremely complex question haven't you, so don't understand what exactly needs rephrasing here. :)

Can someone please tell in plain language how it is calculated? It would be helpful to laymen. (Including me!)

Pls do correct me if am wrong, but duties + taxes in India for getting electronic items may be 10% & gst 28%. The logistics company will add its shipping charges too. So if you are ordering on Amazon.com, before checking out or buying, you will get to see the consolidated amount inclusive of duties/taxes & shipping . If you feel that amount is worthwhile, then you can go ahead & pay or else back out.

If you don’t have a IEC code, it will be 75% which includes all surcharges and taxes

please read carefully the new customs notifications we received
taking into effect FEB 2020

the duty is 75% plus effective from feb 2020 ( cumulative of basic customs AND IGST cleared under HS9804 )
even if you import with a PERSONAL IEC code
( yes a commercial iec code will attract lower duties )
also please note the last para
there are no more value based exemptions anymore

please import knowing the law
so dont be surprised when you are hit with a duty bill
( yes there are instances when you can get away - but the acutal law as in the pdf below )

Above is not to deter or scare anyone from importing ( there may be many instances where one would have gotten through paying lower duties )
however
I received the notification in Feb 2020
hence i thought of sharing
May be useful to some - may be bullocks to others

Thank you for sharing this. I found this out the hard way when importing a headphone amp in February. and I thought it was Fedex who had messed it up. because some higher value imports in January came in much cheaper. And they were unable to explain. I remember escalating it up to top at Fedex. Of course, to no avail.

:)

Ok
Here's an update

Currently be careful.of importing anything from china

Many products are unnecesarily being delayed or even being returned

Plus the customs guys are opening up everything and using Google

So just be careful

Maybe waiting till things settle down would be more prudent

I'm sure this is applicable to items that are hand carried as well. Isn't it?
If it get caught at customs, probably yes.
Because of covid19 fear, they're limiting their exposure to passengers. Actually It is working out in favour of buyers as there is least amount of checking of the passengers & their luggage. Unless it is gold in excess, hand carried items are passing without much scrutiny.

I have pretty good experience with amazon usa one time they refunded the duty after delivering the item

Had ordered the Hel Dac/Amp from Schiit just 2 weeks back. Was charged approx 46%. The total cost of product including shipping (FedEx Economy) was ~223 USD. Was delivered within a week.

Here is the tax invoice.

Screenshot_20200728-092048.jpg

Had ordered the Hel Dac/Amp from Schiit just 2 weeks back. Was charged approx 46%. The total cost of product including shipping (FedEx Economy) was ~223 USD. Was delivered within a week.

Here is the tax invoice.

View attachment 47862
Thanks a lot. Among lot of skepticism, this is very useful. Perhaps the most transparent post about buying direct implications. Thanks.
Could you please give the breakup?
Item Price: Hel? 189$?
Shipping:
Customs:
Total:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back