new member and looking for a home theatre system

goldee

Hi all, am Goldee. Recently shifted to Bangalore from Delhi. Am looking for a home theatre system.

Request you to pls suggest me a good HT(5.1 or 7.1, you guys suggest pls) , which can play music & movies with ease. I love bass and thunderous sounds while watching movies. Usage would be 80% music+20%movies and I listen to electronica+house music+trance and U2, Pink Floyd,Chris Rea,boney-M,ABBA etc

My budget for HT including sub woofer+Amp <=Rs.1 lac.

I have heard about Monitor Audio,KEF, Wharfdale(diamond 10) and Definitive technology but really never auditioned any of them.

I have auditioned Jamo HCS606 with side-firing passive Sub and would like to couple it with Sub200 or sub300. was content with the performance though.

Is there anything better available in bangalore in the above price range? Pls help me with the prices,best bargains available and addresses.

Thanks
Goldee

Welcome to the forum:clapping:

For both(mov/music) Denon 1610 + HT pack can come in your Budget.
Denon 1610(30k) + Q acoustic 1010i (?55K) is good.
But many will agree that you need stereo amp for better music.

Welcome to the forum:clapping:

For both(mov/music) Denon 1610 + HT pack can come in your Budget.
Denon 1610(30k) + Q acoustic 1010i (?55K) is good.
But many will agree that you need stereo amp for better music.

Welcome to the forum, Goldee.

Is there anything better available in bangalore in the above price range? Pls help me with the prices,best bargains available and addresses.

Hello Goldee, Welcome to the Forum. A quick search (Forum) leads you to the brands (and Dealers) available here in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Friends, thnx a lot for the warmth shown and suggestions.

Would like the Gurus like Mridul/Venkat/unleash and others to respond on my requirements.

Also, is it OK to mix-n-match different brands while settting up a 5.1 HT or should one consider buying only 1 single brand for HT(5.1) and may be a better going receiver/amp etc?

Pls get back soon

Thanks
:p

Hi goldee,

Welcome to the forum. If your preference is 80% music it is better to spend better part of your budget like 60k on a stereo system.Stereo amp,CDP and a pair of good book shelves. There is no meaning in hearing your music thro' AVR.As far as i know, only very high end AVRs are good for music too.Rest of the money you can use to build a step by step HT system over a period of time.In this way you can have the best of both the worlds. Thats my two cents.

cheers,
sri

Thanks Sri, the terms used are little alien:cool: to me since I am new to this world.

Would request you to decipher the same for me pls.

Rgds
Goldee

Would like the Gurus like Mridul/Venkat/unleash and others to respond on my requirements.

My response will cost you Rs.10,000 per hour. :):)

Jokes apart, your questions have already been answered in innumerable threads. At the outset, if 80% of your interest is in music, why are you going for a HT system?

What I would suggest are the following:

1. Please read through the various threads on HT.
2. Make a list of points and start auditioning various components.
3. Make a second set of more specific points.
4. Come back with specific questions and we will be glad to answer them.

Points like speaker choice, amp/AVR, mixing brands, HT vs Stereo, etc., have all been covered already.

Cheers

Hi goldee,

There is nothing to decipher in what i have written:) Actually a stereo amplifier is used mostly to hear music exclusively.It has only two channels of amplifications.Where as an AVR(audio video receiver) has 6 or 7 or even 8 discreet channels to amplyfy movie sound.AVR s are made exclusively to watch movies and connected usually to a DVD player.A stereo amp is usualy connected to a CDP.(cd player)

Since your preference is predominantly music i am suggesting you to have both set ups so that you can enjoy both your music and movies.

cheers,
sri

Am sorry folks!! There has been a mix-up, i realised just now after reading a couple of reviews. actually it would be 80% for movies+TV viewing and 20% for the music thru it.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused.:sad::sad::sad:

Now, which HT system+AVR+woofer would you guys recommend.

Pls do respond.

Thnx

Am sorry folks!! There has been a mix-up, i realised just now after reading a couple of reviews. actually it would be 80% for movies+TV viewing and 20% for the music thru it.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused.:sad::sad::sad:

Now, which HT system+AVR+woofer would you guys recommend.

Pls do respond.

Thnx

:D He he, reviews told you that you should watch more movies and hear less music?
On a serious note,Goldee, you can go for the Yamaha Rx v663(40k) + Q acoustics 1010 5.1(42k) speaker package and use the Pioneer Dv420(5k) to play your dvds. For an additional 20k you can add the same subwoofer from the package for more bass.
For the same 40k you can look at AVR s from other brands like Onkyo 607, DEnon 1910 etc.

:D He he, reviews told you that you should watch more movies and hear less music?
On a serious note,Goldee, you can go for the Yamaha Rx v663(40k) + Q acoustics 1010 5.1(42k) speaker package and use the Pioneer Dv420(5k) to play your dvds. For an additional 20k you can add the same subwoofer from the package for more bass.
For the same 40k you can look at AVR s from other brands like Onkyo 607, DEnon 1910 etc.
Hi Goldee,
+1 to that.
That was an excellent suggestion.With this set up you can have a blast with movies.It can give a decent music output too.

cheers,
sri

Many thanks iAudio/Sri for the suggestion.

But, I would prefer floor-standers to book-shelf speakers. 1 they give a punch to the ambience and the power output is decent too. Pls suggest if i m correct.:indifferent14:

But am new to the forum and what i have learnt from the posts is that a stereo AMP is required for music listening and a normal AMP for movies, with my kind of usage .i.e.80% movies+tv and 20% music,which one is advisable.

Also, which AMP to go in for, Marantz or Yamaha or Denon. also pls suggest the model number. :p

Many thanks iAudio/Sri for the suggestion.

But, I would prefer floor-standers to book-shelf speakers. 1 they give a punch to the ambience and the power output is decent too. Pls suggest if i m correct.:indifferent14:

But am new to the forum and what i have learnt from the posts is that a stereo AMP is required for music listening and a normal AMP for movies, with my kind of usage .i.e.80% movies+tv and 20% music,which one is advisable.

Also, which AMP to go in for, Marantz or Yamaha or Denon. also pls suggest the model number. :p

IF you are intent on floorstanders, you can use a pair as fronts. For example, If you are using Mission package, m33is as front, if wharrfedale, Wharfedale 9.5s, or with q acoustics you can subsititute the front pair of 1010i s with 1050i. This would increase the total costs by around 10-15k rs.

Thanks again, I went to Audio Planet-koramangla today.Though got a little late but the sound engineer was quiet calm in handling my queries and was very co-operative.

Auditioned, Q-acoustics, Wharfdale Diamond(which they had brought for the purpose of comparision) and morduant. Loved morduant of all but the price for the 5.1 speakers only was 1.2lacs...and another 50k for the amp. :sad:

I am somehow liking the performance of Jamo HCS S606, HT more than these. with side-firing subs and an additional subwoofer(200w or 250 w), the package can be more killing and will have a solid punch.Say what?

ANy other brands you can suggest?

Thnx

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back