New owner of Samsung plasma 43D490

hi magesh/ All,

I just bought a plasma(43D490) 4 days back and i don't know how to watch 3d movie using this TV :sad: . Can you help me how to proceed? Let me tell u wat i tried, I downloaded some movies from the internet(in my ext hard disk-connected via USB to the TV) and tried to watch them with my 3D glasses on, but i am unable to get a 3D view :eek: . Please help me out here. Adding further info here :- the power button on the spec is on(says 3D glasses are connected to the TV) and there is button on my remote which says 3D and wen I press it, it gives me 3 choices 2D->3D, side-by-side, and up-down. thanks in advance.

Hi,
Congrats on your new TV.
If you play a proper 3D content (say SBS),
Normal TV viewing: You will get two images of the same content side by side.
if you press 3D button in TV: Both the images get merged into one. 3D is working fine now.

Switch on the 3D glasses by pressing and holding it for a few secs,red and freen light will glow alternatively.
You will get a message "3D glass connected to TV"
Now you should see the 3d effect,if still not,just press the power button(3d glass) once.you will see a green light in the power button and this should work.

Karthee congrats . Rock has said it all.
Your glasses will switch on only when you are viewing 3D content in the tv ( all the three formats you've mentioned) open the 3D movie( I prefer Side by Side) and press your 3D button , now 2 images will merge and look one blury image.
Then put on the 3D glass and switch on the button seeing the Tv(then only it will work)
Enjoy your 3D experience :) ..
If you think 3D experience is less.
In the Menu-> Picture-> 3d-> increase the depth to maximum.

Important: Hope you are aware of the burn-in , and hundred hours stuff discussed above.

MyPS43D490A1 got delivered yesterday, bought it from Croma T Nagar....its tempting me to override the Burn in period! will be receiving the 2 free BD 3D glasses by tomorrow!

I was spending enough time in this forum to gather all information to buy myself a Plasma X or U series, i went for Samsung PS43D490 because it has 3D for the same budget i had in my mind and most of the reviews are Positive... Thanks to all of you guys in this Forum for helping me to make a wise decision....!
Hey,

I am new here...got few questions about 'samsung plasma 43d490'. I happened to look at this product in b'lore metro for 41k...its a 3d plasma tv...any problems for you in terms of quality or performance....?

@Srini. myself and one more friend got it before 3 weeks.we've to wait for the 100 hours burn in period(with dim settings) even in that quality look good in some channels..
MY suggestion is check other brands as well and get the best. 3D is great. Heat is there but it all depends on your viewing distance your budget. Picture quality I assure you , it is great

hi all,
I juz bought 43d490 few hours back. got it from cochin thanks for your inputs which made me decide the purchase, i was planning to go with samsung d5000 32 led but always wanted a big screen..here are my two hours initial impression review:

Pros:
1. It took my 500gb seagate hdd with no issues and is playing all the formats
2. Watching dvd rips, mkv are simply wow!
3. The speakers gives you a virtual surround effect, even-though there is a need for a external speaker system as the overall sound volume is less
4. Good for pic slideshow, and handycam videos

Cons:
1. Needs a power-plug had to replace my switch board
will update more later

@Quaker: My suggestion please go for a stabilizer which will have the 15Amp pin as well
that way you can save your TV.
@ Techie hope you've tried the default modes like movie etc..

^
Ya but those defaults modes have very high contrast of around 90. Is it safe to use that much contrast even after Break in?

@ magesh_magi1: Thanks Magesh ..yea the stabilizer could ve saved my switch board :( never thought in that way

@techie : im in movie mode... should i be reducing the contrast? in default its around 90 also noticed some small amount of noise in the screen is it normal should i be playing with the settings to get rid of that?

@ magesh_magi1: Thanks Magesh ..yea the stabilizer could ve saved my switch board :( never thought in that way

@techie : im in movie mode... should i be reducing the contrast? in default its around 90 also noticed some small amount of noise in the screen is it normal should i be playing with the settings to get rid of that?

U should keep movie mode with contrast ,brightness and other settings around 50 for first 100-200 hrs for Break in. After that u can use any settings.

Hi all,

This is my first post here. And thanks to this forum i have bought a Samsung 43d490 :).

I bought it from Croma in Navi Mumbai, and i effectively got it at 37K. (39 K for set, with 2 3d glasses, & Croma extended warranty for 2 yrs charged at 3K).
In addition, i swiped using mine and my friends master card and got about 1K cash back on each!..so effective price came to about 37K. :).

Checked both Reliance Digital & Central - both quoted about 45 K!!...

Assembled the stand yesterday by myself and currently running through the break in slides. Briefly played a movie and was really happy with the PQ.

Only one grouse - in the break in slides, when white/pastel colours come up i can see very faint "dirty screen" effect. Searched forums and found this is a common occurance. Should i replace the set or carry on?

I connected 43d450 with laptop via HDMI but picture m getting is stretched,its showing in 1024x768 resolution,laptops resolution is 1366x768 so anyway to get right picture on TV.

didn't exactly get what you are saying, but:

when you connect 1024x768 TV to laptop via HDMI, your laptop screen resolution will also become 1024x768 if both screens are ON.

if above is not the case then you can set your laptop resolution to 1024x768 and then connect via HDMI to TV

didn't exactly get what you are saying, but:

when you connect 1024x768 TV to laptop via HDMI, your laptop screen resolution will also become 1024x768 if both screens are ON.

if above is not the case then you can set your laptop resolution to 1024x768 and then connect via HDMI to TV
Ya got that to work :)
Anyway to make TV display at a native resolution of laptop i.e. 1366x768. Tried but everything looks out of place on tv screen at 1366x768.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am new here...got few questions about 'samsung plasma 43d490'. I happened to look at this product in b'lore metro for 41k...its a 3d plasma tv...any problems for you in terms of quality or performance....?

Quality and performance is great, and i am loving every bit. watching downloaded movies *.mkv from the 1Tb HDD.....its looks awesome in the Movie mode!

i got this one for abt 36.5K with 2 3D glasses plus the usual 5% cashback in Croma Chennai! i know its the steal deal, never saw anyone bought it for this price so far :clapping:

Hi all,

Only one grouse - in the break in slides, when white/pastel colours come up i can see very faint "dirty screen" effect. Searched forums and found this is a common occurance. Should i replace the set or carry on?

Ive also noticed this "dirty screen" but as you said its very faint..is this common can someone comment on this please?

Ya there is Dirty Screen effect which can be seen only white background in my Tv too. i dont think there is problem with TV,it should be common.

Which model of glasses u received and at what price.
I m staying in hubli karnataka today i visited girias for the same it cost for 41k after bargain.(without glass) so i reject for present waiting for any offer.

If you are using windows press Windows+P and select extend option while your TV is connected.
This should set up multi-monitor mode for you.

Then your laptop screen will be 1024x768, but your TV will be 720p or 1080p depending on your TV

You can also try
Right click Desktop -> Select screen resolution.
Try detect multiple monitors etc.

If you use duplicate option then the resolution will be set to the minimum of both the screens.

All this will fail if your laptop hw does not support 720p. Please make sure your chipset supports 720p or 1080p as well.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back