New plinth project for my Garrard 301s ond lenco L 75

kuruvilajacob

Hi,
I've just completed the new plinth for my Lenco GL 75. When I got the Lenco with the original plinth, it sounded awful with rumble noise so prominent that even an ordinary entry level player sounded better.But when I put the new 5 layer marine ply plinth with the same arm and cart, it sounds absolutely great with a wall to wall sound stage that it beats my Garrard 301 hands down. I am going to add a new Jelco arm to the lenco soon. I have two Garrarrd 301s which I will be modifying with new plinths . I will post on those later. I will shortly post pics of the modified Lenco

kuruvilajacob

Great going!!!

What is the arm and cartridge you're using currently?

And what is your plan for the finish (veneer/paint/etc)?

I see that you are using router for the work. Nice, nice. I haven't got down to using mine even once though I have a nice collection of bits.

Also, your cutout looks very complicated. Is this your own design, or have you modified ropie's design?

Hi,

it sounds absolutely great with a wall to wall sound stage that it beats my Garrard 301 hands down

Interesting.

I have ordered new rubber V block bearings for the Jelco L75 tonearm.Will try it out with a Shure V15 once they arrive. Never got down to actually listening to the Lenco in the system.

I am going to add a new Jelco arm to the lenco soon

Is it the Jelco SA-750D?

I read somewhere that the Jelco SA-750L 12 inch arm is similar (same?) as the Ortofon RS 309D.The Ortofon arm is made by Jelco.

Regards
Rajiv

I am using the stock arm and Shure 44-7 original cart (Made in USA). I am going to apply clear polish so that the original grains will be visible. The cutout is my (my carpenter's) own design by taking image of each layer. I will try out different cartridges like Goldring 1006 and Shure 97 etc. The additional arm is an entry level Jelco taken from a Cosmic Cogram 4000. I am just making a provision for an extra arm. I may try other arms later. It really sounds wonderful as it is. I am sure it can only improve as I use it further and by trying out different carts etc.

I am using the stock arm and Shure 44-7 original cart (Made in USA). I am going to apply clear polish so that the original grains will be visible. The cutout is my (my carpenter's) own design by taking image of each layer. I will try out different cartridges like Goldring 1006 and Shure 97 etc. The additional arm is an entry level Jelco taken from a Cosmic Cogram 4000. I am just making a provision for an extra arm. I may try other arms later. It really sounds wonderful as it is. I am sure it can only improve as I use it further and by trying out different carts etc.

The stock arm of the Lenco L75 is probably the weakest part of your chain right now. Please try the Jelco arm on priority.

Also, just to overdo it a bit, you can add one more layer of ply at the bottom. This will add to the weight. Also, in case you haven't drilled the holes for clamping down the top plate to the new plinth, you can do it. The thread is 4 mm.

I have fitted the Jelco arm last night. I am at present using Shure 97 (Not XE) with this arm. It certainly sounds different from the stock arm. I am still not in a position to make a conclusion on it's performance. Plinth for the first of the garrards is complete. It's got a SME 3009 with attached head shell. For my second Garrard, I am planning to have a 35mm ply plinth suspended on squash balls . I am also going to make a solid plinth for my Garrard Zero 100. I have made provision for bolting the plinth to the bottom though I have not got down to it. I will keep you posted on the progress. Right now I am listening to Dave Brubecks Time Out album with the Lenco arm. It sure sounds good

Cheers
kuruvilajacob

Hi to all,

I have completed the plinth building of Lenco with two arms and one Garrard 301 with SME 3009 arm and Goldring 1006 cart. The Garrard is sounding superb with this combination with outstanding deep bass extension that I have never experienced ever before on any of my previous set up. Even the Lenco with the Jelco arm is giving good sound stage and extended bass but not to the extent as on Garraard. I am now waiting to set up the other Garrard with SME 3012 arm . For this project, I have taken the advice of forum member Rajiv and Stevieboy. I have a plywood plinth of 35mm suspende on squash balls. I will post some pics of progress so shortly
kuruvilajacob

Hi,

I have pics of completed projects which includes Lenco with two arms,Garrard 301 with SME 3009 arm with Goldring cart and Garrard Zero 100. I am in the process of completing the final project of fixing my second Garrard 391 with 3012 with new ply plinth
kuruvilajacob

Hi to all,

I have finally managed to upload some of the pics. Since I have a very efficient carpenter, I even got the Garrard Zero 100 plinth changed as can be seen from the pics. My final project is Garrard 301 with 3012 arm plinth on squash ball. This will also be completed shortly. I will be posting reports on all these shortly.

kuruvilajacob

Last edited:
I set up my 301 with SME 3012 arm on the 35mm ply plinth suspended on squas balls. When I used Grado Pretige Black cart, I felt there was something lacking but still far better than when I used the cudappa plinth. Then I changed the cart to a Shure 75 ED type 2 and then I found the music flowing with much better range and deeper bass and mid. But the bass and overall sound quality of the Garrard 301 full covered and dampened sounded a little bit cleaner with deeper and cleaner bass extension. It could be due to the cart (Goldring 1006). But I would give the 301 fully damped a few extra marks for its engaging details . But for some type of music , the 301 with 3012 is not far behind
kuruvilajacob

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back