New release vinyl

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

While surfing Amazon saw a new release entitled Together presented by Sony . Placed order and got it . This vinyl weighs 180 gms and spins at 33rpm. The vinyl is good with a nice stereo separation. Previously I bought a vinyl of the Hindi movie Sholay but was not satisfied. But this vinyl is better than what I bought previously. The vinyl records Tabla jugalbandi by ustad Allarakha and ustad Zakir Hussain. I had this in two different formats, cassette and CD but I prefer the vinyl. Actually for some days I had been searching for new vinyls , read about the new releases and even sent messages to our FMs. Sholay disappointed me and I think the EP of the same movie sounds better. But Together helps me to gather enthusiasm to buy some more newly pressed vinyls.
I don't have any connection with the Amazon . I am writing here for those who are yet to buy new vinyls.

@skroderider
That is why I have written this review. I have come to know from some of our FMs that some vinyls released recently are good while some others are average or below average. Personally I think that the old vinyls by far surpasses the new ones. But some vinyls that are being released now are also good. The titles like Dil Padoshi Hai, Together, Sajda, colonial cousins, maestroes choice are good. However would be glad if FMs who are buying new vinyls write how that particular vinyl is . That will be helpful to all here.

The quality of new reissues purely depends on the source being used for the remaster. Generally, if the label doing the reissue is able to get hold of the original master (analog/dat/digital tapes)..it will be advertised clearly "sourced from the original analog tapes".. or something like that..

Otherwise if there is nothing mentioned while advertising, it would be safe to assume that the label was unable to get hold of the original masters, and the reissue is going to be sourced from one of the later masters..in that case, the reissue will most probably sound average/not as good as the original pressings. There can be exceptions of course..but this is my general observation from the reissues that I've bought over the last few years. Many a times I have personally emailed the labels asking them for more details about the source being used for the reissues..in most cases they're more than happy to reply.

I have bought many new Hindi reissues (Guide, Mr & Mrs 55, Mughal e Azam, Amar Prem, Pakeezah etc). Personally I think the recording does not really matter as these old recordings never had a high res recording anyways. However what you do get is a scratchless 180gm vinyl that is far better than the overpriced and often terrible condition Hindi vinyls that you get from resellers.

Having said that some of the better hindi recordings like Marasim and Pareenita sound fantastic on Vinyl.

As a rule of thumb, if the original recording is from digital era, the new released records are mostly very good. I found the 90's music on record to be very very enjoyable.
Repressings from analogue tape master era are not worth on new records, IMHO.
Roughly, we can take Dil Padosi Hain / Saajda as the beginning mark of the digital recording as far as hindi music is concerned.
Recordings before that should sound better on their older vinyl avatar.

I stay away from newly released records by Saregama and prefer to buy old ones. Burnt my fingers badly with their poor SQ audio CDs in the recent past. Also the pricing for newly released one is on the higher side.

Received another new vinyl ( Bollywood movie Chandni) . This is from Sony DADC. This vinyl is good to my ears. I haven't heard the previous pressing of this movie so can't compare it with the former one. I like this but the cover of the vinyl is very bad and IMO it could have been better.

Well you can try out Tangya Records. It is a venture into vinyl manufacturing by music aficionados and they have a few good ones with attention being paid to the quality, the mastering and the cover art. I have got all the three records i.e Colonial Cousins, Indian Ocean and Abida Parveen they have released and by far they are amongst the best out there.

Well you can try out Tangya Records. It is a venture into vinyl manufacturing by music aficionados and they have a few good ones with attention being paid to the quality, the mastering and the cover art. I have got all the three records i.e Colonial Cousins, Indian Ocean and Abida Parveen they have released and by far they are amongst the best out there.
Totally agree!!!!

I too have all three and enjoying them...

We need to encourage such initiatives is what I believe. Their intent is spot on and should be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to hear more from them.

Will they also release the Bollywood oldies? Have heard that their colonial cousins is very good and it has been praised by the music enthusiasts. Would be better if they release the Bollywood oldies and Indian classical music.

Oh man I should have picked up Chandni today as I picked up some 18 LPs today and all previous old.pressing. if any of you looking for old collections let me know as I got to know about an uncle in Bangalore who has a shop.full of records in good condition properly.packed. he has collections of Rafi, Lata, Shammi, Amitabh, Rajesh khanna and all

Oh man I should have picked up Chandni today as I picked up some 18 LPs today and all previous old.pressing. if any of you looking for old collections let me know as I got to know about an uncle in Bangalore who has a shop.full of records in good condition properly.packed. he has collections of Rafi, Lata, Shammi, Amitabh, Rajesh khanna and all
Can you share the contact please?

Contact please?

Any other new releases?

What's that? Please explain how to get these records?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back