New Speaker Cable

afj

IMG_20160507_125721.jpg

Finolex electrical wire 4.0 sq mm dual core. works out closer to 11 gauge. i previously had doubled up 16 gauge acoustic research speaker cable. the reason i changed it was that it was looking shabby. from a change in SQ, i cant really say for sure, but i did feel some improvement in the tightness of the bass and also slightly brighter in the mids and highs. again, i wont say that it has moved from neutral to brighter, perhaps more towards neutral. to reiterate, the SQ difference is very minimal, if at all.

cost was about 60 rupees per meter. 99.97 pure copper. really thick wire - found it difficult to fit into the speakers. you also get 2.5 sq mm dual core wire which is closer to 13 gauge

Last edited:
Agreed. I tried it based on someone's recommendation and could not hear anything different from more expensive cables.

Be warned 12 gauge (or near it) will be difficult connecting to speakers without binding posts or plugs. 14 gauge works out better.

I just use regular Finolex 2.5 sq mm cable lightly braided.
Good stuff SQ wise, shamelessly showcases DIY but dirt cheap (Rs. 40 per meter).
The only pain is you need to buy an entire 90m roll.

Cheers,
Raghu

Just landed up on this thread, while I am into my first purchase of entry level stereo music system. I have not considered the budget for cables and wires.

How much does it usually cost for a stereo setup and anything else that is needed other than cable to connect ?

I really do not know much of Hi-Fi, so far have been with HT(in the box type) and computer speakers, which used to contain everything in the box.

I just use regular Finolex 2.5 sq mm cable lightly braided.
Good stuff SQ wise, shamelessly showcases DIY but dirt cheap (Rs. 40 per meter).
The only pain is you need to buy an entire 90m roll.

Cheers,
Raghu

there will be some stores that sell as per your requirement if you look around. i purchased mine like that

Just landed up on this thread, while I am into my first purchase of entry level stereo music system. I have not considered the budget for cables and wires.

How much does it usually cost for a stereo setup and anything else that is needed other than cable to connect ?

I really do not know much of Hi-Fi, so far have been with HT(in the box type) and computer speakers, which used to contain everything in the box.

for speaker cable, use 16-14 gauge pure copper wire. most decent speaker wire is off this spec. as raghu uses above, finolex electrical wire 2.5 sqmm will work extremely well. for usb and hdmi, any decent brand. for interconnects again, any decent brand and quality.

Thanks, once my amp and speakers are finalized, I will have to again ask for specific help regarding this part too :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

View attachment 20837

Finolex electrical wire 4.0 sq mm dual core. works out closer to 11 gauge. i previously had doubled up 16 gauge acoustic research speaker cable. the reason i changed it was that it was looking shabby. from a change in SQ, i cant really say for sure, but i did feel some improvement in the tightness of the bass and also slightly brighter in the mids and highs. again, i wont say that it has moved from neutral to brighter, perhaps more towards neutral. to reiterate, the SQ difference is very minimal, if at all.

cost was about 60 rupees per meter. 99.97 pure copper. really thick wire - found it difficult to fit into the speakers. you also get 2.5 sq mm dual core wire which is closer to 13 gauge
Where did you buy a finolex cable?
Please provide contact details.

Thank you!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Don't get too fixated on the brand Finolex. Polycab is just as good and available almost everywhere.

Where did you buy a finolex cable?
Please provide contact details.

i got it in hyderabad. if you ask around in electrical shops you will find

Also available on Amazon India along with the likes of Havells and Anchor.

Hifimart also has DAC cables, good VFM along with the likes of Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice. At least my ears cannot tell the difference.

I think afj was asking about Finolex being sold in short [relatively] lengths. In Mumbai, it's very difficult to find it sold cut to size. Whole rolls are available at major electrical stores.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back