New to Console gaming with PS3 Slim 250 GB

abhigite

hello all,

I have finally graduated ( if coming to console gaming from PC means upgrading) .. to PS3 slim 250 GB after a lot of deliberations.

Have finally got the PS3 with ridge racer 7 and uncharted 2. tried my hand at the ridge racer first as i m more comfortable with the racing environment, but i think will ned some more time to get used to the controller ...

tried it with my old samsung flat screen as couldnt wait for the delivery of my LCD, and results were not too impressive as there were few missing display parts but here is the help i need .... I am getting sony 40" W550A, and i am sure things would be much better with it.

Any tips for me to configure the two and how to go about console gaming as a beginner.

Any preferred games to start ...

congrats Abhi. I am sure with newer LCDs with 720p or 1080p resolutions, you won't miss out anything. Response time of display can be a factor.

Where did you get this from and how much did you pay?

hello all,

I have finally graduated ( if coming to console gaming from PC means upgrading) .. to PS3 slim 250 GB after a lot of deliberations.

Have finally got the PS3 with ridge racer 7 and uncharted 2. tried my hand at the ridge racer first as i m more comfortable with the racing environment, but i think will ned some more time to get used to the controller ...

tried it with my old samsung flat screen as couldnt wait for the delivery of my LCD, and results were not too impressive as there were few missing display parts but here is the help i need .... I am getting sony 40" W550A, and i am sure things would be much better with it.

Any tips for me to configure the two and how to go about console gaming as a beginner.

Well PC Gamers wouldn't say that as Graduation :p

Congrats on your purchase first.

Get a good quality HDMI cable if you don't have one to connect to your new TV. Don't get into buying the expensive one's at all. Also what kind of Sound-system have you got?

If you do intend to Play online do sign-up for PSN. At the moment there isn't an Indian PSN store available so sign-up with a dummy UK or US address. This will allow you to get firmware updates into your PS3 and also allow you to download demos. There are good old classic games like Crash Bandicot available on PSN.

Regarding games there is lots of genres & sub-genres to choose from, So if you could let us know your preference it would be lot easier. If you're comfortable with Racing games and like that genre please try Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for Simulation. For Arcade within the same genre try NFS Shift, Burnout Paradise (Can be picked up cheap I believe). For off-roading there is Colin : Dirt 1 & 2

You've also got the best looking console games - UC2. I've completed the game in Normal mode and looking to start again in Crushing mode. I've never seen such level of graphics and smoot fluid flow of controls in any other game. The cinematic intro just makes you feel like you're watching Hollywood Flicks.

Other games to try - Killzone - An FPS, which is more slow & tactical. Unlike the likes of running and gunning. Buzz - A quiz game, which you can play along with your family & friends. I've been playing it for past 2 weeks along with my friends and it's very interesting. It's a change from your usual shooting & racing and can be enjoyed with family.

I'm not sure if you would be able to buy all games at once, So do try and rent them before buying. I've read about rental services in IVG & Counsol.in

If you also intend to use it as a media tank do download PS3 Media Server, It allows you to stream Photos, Music & Videos of your PC.

Any more questions shoot it down here

my friend BURNOUT PARADISE is a classic big screen extravaganza! you shall love the slowmotion n sound effects!

Besides various various others, which you shall know to pick from, i sincerely advise that you pick ..GOD OF WAR 1,2,3 ..PRINCE OF PERSIA.

These 3 games are one of the best when it comes to graphics and indulgence per their individual genre.

All the very best!
(do take care of your thumb skin :) )

Thank You all for the words of encouragement ...

ANM > I got it from Mumbai , LCD from Sony Mony and PS3 from Croma .. & the price was 64K and 22.5K respectively.

TEKY > thanks a lot for the elaborate reply ... well yes i m into racing and will sure like to try arcade games you have mentioned ... and also the FPS ... are there some clean games like counter strike ... as for the Killzone it has lots of flesha nd blood flying all over and i do have concerns for my 2 year old on that ...

I have got the HDMI connectivity and m truely enjoying the experience .... will surely like to get online and try the multiplayer exp and ps store ... so lemme see if i need some help there ...

SIDDHARTH > thanks mate will surely try out your suggestions ....

BTW are the games cheaper outside of india ... say singapore / Aue / china ... cos from there i can arrange some titles....

Also how is the multiplayer online gaming experience in india.... if you can share your exp ...

Thx once again for all the help

TEKY > thanks a lot for the elaborate reply ... well yes i m into racing and will sure like to try arcade games you have mentioned ... and also the FPS ... are there some clean games like counter strike ... as for the Killzone it has lots of flesha nd blood flying all over and i do have concerns for my 2 year old on that ...

I know what you mean, I'm not a big fan of FPS myself however KZ turns to be entertaining. Only option is to play after you're Kid has slept. Apart from that I haven't come across any game with less blood and gore.

BTW are the games cheaper outside of india ... say singapore / Aue / china ... cos from there i can arrange some titles....

Yes, they do tend to be cheaper outside India even for release titles. Especially in US/UK, I'm not sure about Singapore/Australia

Also how is the multiplayer online gaming experience in india.... if you can share your exp ...

Best is to ask audiodelic who is on here, I would believe a decent broadband with around 1 Mbps should be fine. Also what matters is decent ping from your broadband connection, Speedtest.net also has that tool to help you understand.

Guys, just finished Uncharted 2 and it was AWESOME ... i mean everything about the game, gameplay, storyline, puzzles, action, graphics, music ... it was really good.

well i might sound going overboard, but it was my first game on PS3 and as it is the game is fantastic (going by the online reviews) i was blown away. Also as its very easy to play, in terms of controls, it was superb.

Now, i have got MGS4 and just tried it once, it seems a bit more complicated and intense, but has been ranked #1 game for PS3 ahead of uncharted 2 (#2), so looking forward to it.

Any tips for MGS4, i see it has quite a following amongst gamers.

hello all,

congrats on your purchase brother and about tips play games atleast 5 hours a day like i use to play :D :cool:

Guys, just finished Uncharted 2 and it was AWESOME ... i mean everything about the game, gameplay, storyline, puzzles, action, graphics, music ... it was really good.

well i might sound going overboard, but it was my first game on PS3 and as it is the game is fantastic (going by the online reviews) i was blown away. Also as its very easy to play, in terms of controls, it was superb.
Now, i have got MGS4 and just tried it once, it seems a bit more complicated and intense, but has been ranked #1 game for PS3 ahead of uncharted 2 (#2), so looking forward to it.

Any tips for MGS4, i see it has quite a following amongst gamers.

mgs4 is an awesome game yaar i have finished it atleast 10 times already but now i have sold mine coz kinda bored with it :) but you will definetly have an awesome time with it go for it for me uncharted 2 is my number one game far far better than mgs4 in its own terms :cool:

hi guys
i just got my self a ps3 slim too. i wanted to ask if i could run the ps3 (in case of a power failure') on my home inverter. i have been running my lcd tvs etc fine on them but was not to sure about the ps3 is it as sensitive as amplifiers or could be worked around like lcd tvs. my inverter is a normal one no pure sine wave. are there any members doing this?

hi guys
i just got my self a ps3 slim too. i wanted to ask if i could run the ps3 (in case of a power failure') on my home inverter. i have been running my lcd tvs etc fine on them but was not to sure about the ps3 is it as sensitive as amplifiers or could be worked around like lcd tvs. my inverter is a normal one no pure sine wave. are there any members doing this?

You should not risk your gadgets running on the Invertor, use a UPS which would reduce the risk of any unforseen damages due to the above mentioned factor and since you already own an APC pure sine wave UPS so use that to your benefit.

Well, veteran PC gamers would not call this 'graduation'. But this is more convenient. And you dont have to worry about your graphics card heating up or about the zillion other things that might interfere with your gaming experience on a PC :).

The PS3 is an immensely versatile machine and it sure is a good buy - even if you dont game at all, in my opinion.

Do try Top Spin 3, Infamous and Prototype.

My wife is the primary user of our PS3 and swears by MGS4, Price of Persia, Assassin's Creed 1&2, Dead Space. While I just play Ashes 2009 :yahoo:

You could use it as a media server. I did for a while. Until I got the WDTV.

My wife is the primary user of our PS3 and swears by MGS4, Price of Persia, Assassin's Creed 1&2, Dead Space. While I just play Ashes 2009 :yahoo:

You could use it as a media server. I did for a while. Until I got the WDTV.

Is Assassins creed 2 out?

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back