New TT under 50K

frend2001

Dear FMs

Out to buy a new TT under the 50k budget.

I'm totally open to all suggestions and pointers and have no bias for BD or DD.

The only specifications that matter are compatibility of 1/2 Inch cart mounting and low inner groove distortion.

Please advice.

I have Philips 242with shure m55e cart and it is way better than rega rp1 which was given good reviews, so my suggestion is old is gold.

Out of the new TT, I would recommend only Rega . But I think below 50 K you may only get RP 1 for around 36K . You may have to up your budget to around 70 K and go for a RP 3 which in my opinion is a fairly decent TT. But a Lenco L 75 modified with a compatible arm should give you better performance.

Out of the new TT, I would recommend only Rega . But I think below 50 K you may only get RP 1 for around 36K . You may have to up your budget to around 70 K and go for a RP 3 which in my opinion is a fairly decent TT. But a Lenco L 75 modified with a compatible arm should give you better performance.

Lenco L-75 is much better even without modification. FM Tek has both Rega Rp3 and L-75 in original condition. He prefers Lenco. Modified Lenco is in a different league.

Regards
Sachin

Rega RP3 without catridge is $700. Is it worth it at that price? Lenco is vintage one..so, it should be difficult to source one..right? Sorry..i am total noob when in comes to TT.

Lenco L-75 is much better even without modification. FM Tek has both Rega Rp3 and L-75 in original condition. He prefers Lenco. Modified Lenco is in a different league.

Regards
Sachin

Yes, I have both Lenco and Rega, but just to corrct Sachu, I have a Lenco L 70 and not L 75. The Rega I have is a P3-24 which I had bought for around 52k brand new few years ago.

I like both TT's a lot for different reasons. I am running Denon Dl110 cart on both tables. I like the Lenco for its heft and attack. It is more "slamming" is the word I use when listening to mostly Rock. The Rega I prefer when I want to get more into the mid range of things. I like to use the word "clinical" for the Rega sound I get. So each one is good for certain albums vs the other. I am happy to have both. I do find I get less inner groove distortion on the Rega, but that could also be because the L70 headshell is pretty massive and bulky, and hard to properly align a cart as opposed to the Rega.

Do you have a phono stage or are you also looking at that under 50k. Also could you give an idea f the rest of the system you use ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a 50K budget, you can even look at the Technics stable, SL1200 or SL1210, availability can be challenging though.

Technics DD turntables in good condition, are a vinyl lover's best friend. Worth every penny spent on them.

Last edited:
Indeed SL1200 seems to be best contender. Looked at a few. Pricing from 35k to 55k.

But comes with a clinch either cosmetic or mechanical. So I'm not at ease with that.

I currently have CNC phono stage as phono pre.

Turntable : Technics SL - 220, Cosmic HS410 DD

If you have a strong heart, make one out of the two you have or modify one of them.

What are going wrong in the current ones by the way?

I am in the way of assembling one from two TTs. It's first of all a thrilling experience to see a turning table producing music all of a sudden! and second benefit is the cost.
Only problem (to me) is to find a good motor with known RPM and good torque. I am trying with one from Cosmic BD 2000, let's see....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back