New tv dilema QLED vs OLED

it's not so simple that sony oled>lg oled. each oled tv has different pros & cons.

panasonic oleds have the best color accuracy ootb but no dolby vision, sony has best motion & upscaling but its DV isnt as good as lg's. lg is said to have best hdr & os but its motion & upscaling isnt as good as sony's.

basically you have to see what is most important to you & live with whatever strengths & weaknesses each tv has (& none are too far from each other in any respect, only if you did a a/b comparison in a home environment would you really be able to see the difference).

it's not so simple that sony oled>lg oled. each oled tv has different pros & cons.

panasonic oleds have the best color accuracy ootb but no dolby vision, sony has best motion & upscaling but its DV isnt as good as lg's. lg is said to have best hdr & os but its motion & upscaling isnt as good as sony's.

basically you have to see what is most important to you & live with whatever strengths & weaknesses each tv has (& none are too far from each other in any respect, only if you did a a/b comparison in a home environment would you really be able to see the difference).
just adding to what u said all oleds have similar qualities that mean deep blacks,great viewing angles and infinite contrast.so irrespective of brand the oled tv is going to look good.

if you check out the comparison between sony a8f ang lg c8 you can see how closely match these tvs are in technical specifications.As mentioned in above post each tv has some unique advantage.Sony doesn't support youtube HDR yet.Though it might be added via firmware update in future.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c8-vs-sony-a8f/600/603

sony has best motion & upscaling but its DV isnt as good as lg's. lg is said to have best hdr & os but its motion & upscaling isnt as good as sony's.

True. But those strengths of Sony, motion and upscaling, are more important for a movie or even TV watching experience.

We don't always have 4K content and may even have to do with a 720p print sometimes. And all TV channels are not HD. So upscaling is very important for almost all our TV watching. It does not matter how accurate the colours look when all you see is pixelation.

Motion handling makes the movie look like a movie and not a home video (soap opera effect), and less jerky movement.

These things were best in CRT and Plasma automatically without an excessive need of processing. But sadly those technologies died instead of improving further due to the fashion of having slimmer looking boxes when they are turned off.

Sony OLED has other benefits too, such as less grey banding and better shading without apparent lines compared to LG. I would not underestimate Sony and be willing to pay some premium for it and wait for better deals.

Sony has an issue of ABL or "auto-dimming" from an update. Hopefully they will fix it in another update.

just adding to what u said all oleds have similar qualities that mean deep blacks,great viewing angles and infinite contrast.so irrespective of brand the oled tv is going to look good.

When comparing QLED/LED (LCD) vs OLED, OLED brings perfect deep blacks. But it comes with another problem. Less capability of handling grey ("black crushing"). It does not handle the shading of going from black to grey properly, such as shadow details. For example, when there is shadow on one side of a face, the darker side will lose details and seem completely black. Most scenes will have more shading of black rather than pure black. And there are "grey banding" lines (search google for more info). So this is also important and it isn't so obvious that OLED is the winner. However, OLED tech is improving and 2018 models are much better at this than before.

And most OLED models come with glossy screens which is a requirement to enjoy the viewing experience while most LCD models have matte coating. If more LCD models had a glossy finish, then it would be more of an even playing field for doing a comparison between the tech. Sadly, more people complain about reflection from glossy screens than a lifeless picture from matte screens.

Last edited:
Then sony X9000f seems best all round option, good in everything and bit pocket friendly compared with oleds, but not best in anything and without any real negatives.

When comparing QLED/LED (LCD) vs OLED, OLED brings perfect deep blacks. But it comes with another problem. Less capability of handling grey ("black crushing"). It does not handle the shading of going from black to grey properly, such as shadow details. For example, when there is shadow on one side of a face, the darker side will lose details and seem completely black. Most scenes will have more shading of black rather than pure black. And there are "grey banding" lines (search google for more info). So this is also important and it isn't so obvious that OLED is the winner. However, OLED tech is improving and 2018 models are much better at this than before.

And most OLED models come with glossy screens which is a requirement to enjoy the viewing experience while most LCD models have matte coating. If more LCD models had a glossy finish, then it would be more of an even playing field for doing a comparison between the tech. Sadly, more people complain about reflection from glossy screens than a lifeless picture from matte screens.

Agreed.I know OLEDs are work in progress and will only get better with time. My only limited point was when buying an OLED dont automatically assume sony is best and lg is worst or otherwise,as all these brands are using OLED screens so the core is going to be same.if you check the technical specification of these tvs, they are identical in most of the aspects.if you show both the tvs side by side hiding brand logo most people will have a hard time figuring out which is better.

So my suggestion is if you have money buy sony A8F or A9F is you can afford it else if you are on tight budget and buy C8 which will give you similar experience or X9000f if you want dont want an OLED.

so to update all,
recieved the refund demand draft from samsung post diwali,
and decided on going in for the samsung 55q8cn, since i had a 55 curved previously and the non curved 55 looked smaller. Oled was ruled out since my parents watch the same channels for hours at a time and average about 6-10 hours usage.
Many stores quoted various pricing and quoted a wait time of 1-2 weeks to deliver. I finally decided to travel a bit out of my area and check with a samsung brand store who had it in stock. Paid 1.69 got some cash back as well as was promised a samsung smart club membership with points amounting to 4300 so in total with the cash back and reward points it worked out to around 1.58 still a bit more than others but I was getting it sooner and from a brand shop so guaranteed to be genuine not a demo unit.
It got delivered 24th last month and they instructed us to call back after a week for the registration to avaial the reward points.
was not till 26th when the service center recieved a install request from us(the dealer did not do it) the tv was a beauty had deep inky blacks a few tinkering of the settings I managed to get the images to my liking and with no judder and less soap opera effect.
Around 29th the tv failed to power up. Being within 7-10 from purchase i called up the store who told me to call on a dedicated customer care number(different from listed on samsung site) and lodge a complaint there and to give them the complaint number so he can follow up.

the next day a technician from the service center (who has become close friends) visited and said there seems to be an issue with the one connect box or the tv. But he will not open it to problem solve since its within a month of purchase. I asked him to put in a request for replacement.
I conveyed the same to the dealer(samsung brand store) a week later they said a senior person needs to check the tv before processing further,
he came over with the engineer who visited the last time, and was struggling to open the one connect box trying to open the locks and failing and finally prying it out. I told him we want a replacement, he said he wants to check it. I allowed him to and then he clicked pictures of the board numbers, and said will replace the box only not the tv, i refused that saying its not a month, i need an entire replacement, he said no its an accessory etc etc, i called the dealer they too were convincing me that if a remote does not work no one replaces the tv its an accessory.

Later he left and then called me saying it will take 8 days to get the part, i asked what part you said the box, he said no we dont replace box only board, i refused. He then called back saying he will give a free one year extended warranty with the part, i said we are not beggars we can afford the 3-5 year extended warranty.

the dealer still kept convincing me to take the board replacement.
the service center had already before this put a replacement request.
I called customer care narrated the incident told them what i need and was put on hold for 5 minutes and then told the same what dealer told me, i argued its not an accessory and the tv cannot function without the one connect box.

4 days later i got a call from samsung head office stating the tv is not in stock and i will be issued a refund, i said ok. decided croma has the same tv in stock now and at a lower price so in the end i saved money. But then they called back saying they will only provide a service refund coupon and you will have to purchase a new tv or any products from the same store or other brand stores. I kept refusing and asked for a demand draft or a replacement. I called a few brand stores 2 had no stocks and the others told a good price but when i said service coupon they said we made a mistake calculating its 1.91l without offers we thought you said staff coupon.
I still flat out refused the coupon, they then said they will issue me a replacement in three days.
a week gone and they say we can give you a service coupon or else we need 4 more days to track stocks.
the dealer is neither helpful, nor has he given my smart club membership number for the 4300 voucher, ive been calling them since three four days and all the time the same excuse matches the excuse the head office gave of the replacement time to track. called up smartclub helpline was offered help put on hold then said get it from dealer we cannot do anything.

the service center has put in either replace immediate or refund via rtgs or demand draft only request.
so its been 20mdays since i got the tv and 16 days with it lying dead and no solution yet. Wonder how samsung can do this to anyone paying top premium for their flagship line up. either that or i guess theres some malpractices with their brand stores.

Wow...it is quite an "unpremium" experience for a premium TV!
exactly!
the person who calls me from the head office says its a high end model so less/no stocks, it's like they are trying to arm twist to take a service coupon and i go get another one myself instead of them doing the needful and replacing.
I spoke to a customer care person a while back, they gave a lead time of 15 days to track stocks for replacement, when i said thats outrageous and i need a replacement tv in 3 days at my doorstep or the refund dd and that it does not take more than few minutes to check which wharehouse has stocks, they say sir take the service coupon and buy any product of your choice with that same amount from the brand store or else wait but we will not issue a dd refund. Last week after i rejected the service coupon and asked for a dd refund or replacement they said they will fasttrack it and i will get it in 2-3 days

Ideally shouldn't the seller be handling the replacement of a product within 7/10 days? same seller is convincing me to either get the pcb replaced or take the service coupon. Do these dealers have some hand in this?

Few years back I had a similar bad experience with the Samsung 64" 8500 plasma TV refusing to start (red light blink). The problem was rarely happening within warranty period itself but right after the warranty period expired it refused to start altogether. After mental torture got the refund. I wonder if the reliability of Samsung is worse than LG and Sony.

After 5 years, I now once again dare(?) to consider another Samsung - the Samsung 65" NU8000 since OLED might curb the freedom and freedom is very important for me and ofcourse the Samsung is at a good price (1.43) and probably the best of the edge lit LED with blacks like my current Panasonic Viera Plasma (2009 model).

Last edited:
Few years back I had a similar bad experience with the Samsung 64" 8500 plasma TV refusing to start (red light blink). The problem was rarely happening within warranty period itself but right after the warranty period expired it refused to start altogether. After mental torture got the refund. I wonder if the reliability of Samsung is worse than LG and Sony.

After 5 years, I now once again dare(?) to consider another Samsung - the Samsung 65" NU8000 since OLED might curb the freedom and freedom is very important for me and ofcourse the Samsung is at a good price (1.43) and probably the best of the edge lit LED with blacks like my current Panasonic Viera Plasma (2009 model).

the previous tv i had was a 55js9000 samsungs suhd. I had taken a sony 55x80c but the android system was laggy and opted for an upgrade to x90c the backlight bleed was bad 3-4 sets and each more worse sony after months finally refunded and i went in for samsung and was delighted by the picture quality as well as the black levels. the same tv developed an issue around october it was 1 year past the warranty expiry but they did not have parts so i got a 67% refund took some time due to diwali but was hassle free and i was happy with their customer service.
the qled q8c in comparisson with my old suhd, the black levels are even more better and the viewing angles too have improve alot for a VA panel. The tv performance wise is top notch to me performs well in my bright living room as well as when i turn the lights off at night.

The experience i had is shocking I am not sure if the dealer has a role in something here, cause the service center who is handling my case has been pretty good and keep givng me updates daily even the owner calls me up, infact the owner told the other person who came to check to not open anything we put for a replace if you want to you can go check it, we both feel the dealer sent this person to hav a look and replace parts.
lets see what happens.

one thing i did notice was most of samsungs higher end tvs are made in Vietnam. Couple of weeks ago i took a 32inch samsung m5570 to replace a bedrooms lg 32inch. got a great deal for it and being full hd smart tv with a ci/cam slot with satellite inputs compared to hd ready from sony or lg in the same price range, that tv too is made in vietnam. the picture quality is great sound is ok.

Ideally shouldn't the seller be handling the replacement of a product within 7/10 days? same seller is convincing me to either get the pcb replaced or take the service coupon. Do these dealers have some hand in this?

I never had the unfortunate experience to deal with a lemon TV so can't comment if the dealer is hand-in-glove but it seems to be like that in this case. I am guessing a replacement set impacts their margins so they are pushing for repair as Samsung may be hurting them during replacements.

Yes. A replacement is in order. But for your own peace of mind, nothing of real value will change with part replacement compared to full box replacement. Sometimes we lose peace of mind bcz we think we are hard done by, that's all. Just saying... Mind you I am not an easy guy - I fight like a honey badger(yeah) when I have to and when it makes a difference.

Yes. A replacement is in order. But for your own peace of mind, nothing of real value will change with part replacement compared to full box replacement. Sometimes we lose peace of mind bcz we think we are hard done by, that's all. Just saying... Mind you I am not an easy guy - I fight like a honey badger(yeah) when I have to and when it makes a difference.

I certainly would not settle for parts replacement, when it failed within 4 days of purchase if it was a later date i would not mind provided it was fixed in a timely manner. When i purchased my 32inch tv from croma they said within 7 days if any hardware issues there will be a replacement. Same thing happens when we buy computer parts mobile phones or any other electronics. Infact the service center said they do not open and diagnose for products within 1 month of purchase.

called up the service center today they still have no updates on when a replacement unit will be made available to them. The store guy called up to ask if i took the service coupon, then tried convincing me to take the repair option. When i said dont bother the service center is handling he said he will talk to some higher ups. Then again someone from head office called offering the service coupon and then gave an extended time for tracking a replacement. I am giving them till today evening after which i will escalate the matter to their customer satisfaction head.

some years back i had purchase a macbook and one day within the 7 days period i ran a hardware test which gave a error code of one of the fans thought the laptop functioned fine but did get hot at times, the service center issued it DOA and the store handed me a new box. All done within 3 hours of going to the service center.

so i visited the service center this morning, no updates yet. They gave me a customer car number to call on and check status they said 15-20 days more please wait. I said i want a dd refund i don't wish to wait any further. And said i will call up a higher official and used the persons name. They said we will initiate request and call you by noon.
10 minutes ago i got a call from the service center that my replacement tv arrived and will be delivered today evening or in the morning.
Asked them for the label on the box.
Its a october import with a new series serial number(service center says must be a new revision), the one i had was an august import.

so i visited the service center this morning, no updates yet. They gave me a customer car number to call on and check status they said 15-20 days more please wait. I said i want a dd refund i don't wish to wait any further. And said i will call up a higher official and used the persons name. They said we will initiate request and call you by noon.
10 minutes ago i got a call from the service center that my replacement tv arrived and will be delivered today evening or in the morning.
Asked them for the label on the box.
Its a october import with a new series serial number(service center says must be a new revision), the one i had was an august import.
please don't close your complaint ,until your new set works fine & gives you satisfaction.

please don't close your complaint ,until your new set works fine & gives you satisfaction.

yes i wont close the complaint.

I am planning to lodge a complaint against the dealer for misleading

Before i purchased the tv, they told me they will give me a samsung smart club membership and points amounting to INR 4,300.
They told me i can use the points at any samsung brand store or smart cafe no minimum amount, for anything i wish.
When i was making the payment I was giving my card and they were asking 2.5% card transaction fees I asked them to cancel the deal, he was asking me to pay cash or via rtgs. I was walking off and he said ok it was his mistake the price he quoted me was for cash transactions (still 25k more than other multi brand stores but delivery in 3 days compared to 15)
After the payment he asked me to contact them after 7 days to register the membership and avail the points.
From the past week i have been calling them and they kept making some excuse or the other.
Today I finally spoke to the owner and he said he cannot give me a smart club membership since therw will be issues in his accounts and he will go in for a loss since he gave me at a discounted price and did not take card transaction fees. They just keep talking not allowing you to speak. Finally he said he will send me an email that I have 4300 pending with them, i refused that as well.
I asked them to either give the membership or send me an akg headphone which is some 4800 odd and the difference i will pay them.
He said ok and then later said we do not have stocks wait till feb, we will give you something else i refused that as well then he said actually you have to purchase products over like a microwave washing machine fridge or tv or mobile phone over 15k to avail that 4300, i pointed out their misleading and then he said i will call you on tuesday and let you know.

Will go over next week or put in a complaint against them.

For any one within mumbai, the dealer is a samsung brand store Sanjay Sales Andheri, please be cautious with them. They did not even bother to put in an installation request, i had to call the toll free myself.

By the way got the replacement tv and installed it as well. Need to tinker with the settings and white balances. the previous set was on the redder side and this on the greener side.

Please speak only to samsung customer service, don't talk to store.Post ur story after arrival of new set on samsung India facebook page.send mail to consumer affairs ministry and CC to samsung India and samsung SOUTH KOREA. It may not yield anything but sometimes it may work.

What a bad ordeal for you, good finally things are sorted. Our relaxed customer oriented laws makes these MNC act smart and on top of that bad dealers.

I hope your TV works perfectly now.

After much thought, try as I might I am married to plasma like pictures. I hate DSE and uniformity issues. I hate blooming, I am not thrilled about deep tints being passed of as black. I dislike the shimmer of LED and don't like very bright pictures.

And the clinching arguement is that TV these days are not as reliable anyways to hope that buying LED will last a decade. So have almost decided to go for OLED and hope it stays good for 4 years. Also promised myself not to stare at it with red and purple slides.

If I get burned(pun), it will be for my heart ;)

Last edited:
After much thought, try as I might I am married to plasma like pictures. I hate DSE and uniformity issues. I hate blooming, I am not thrilled about deep tints being passed of as black. I dislike the shimmer of LED and don't like very bright pictures.

And the clinching arguement is that TV these days are not as reliable anyways to hope that buying LED will last a decade. So have almost decided to go for OLED and hope it stays good for 4 years. Also promised myself not to stare at it with red and purple slides.

If I get burned(pun), it will be for my heart ;)

haha sweet! OLED has some pretty sick Pic quality, Would have taken one if it was for my own personal usage with streaming or blurays but at the end of the day gotta make the parents happy with what they like and with what content they love to watch.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back