New tv dilema QLED vs OLED

nickandre

My 2 1/2 year old Samsung 55js9000 bit the bullet and Samsung had no spares for it. They refunded me about 70% of the Purchase price.
I have been looking at the 55Q8C but i cannot seem to find it on display anywhere. The best price i have got is 1.50L while croma and reliance digital are giving higher prices.
I also got an offer of 1.45 for the LG 55c8
Has anyone seen QLED Q8c at stores or any owners here?
Most of the stores seem to not be having a stock and pushing me towards LG, Croma pushed me towards a 65 inch TCL while other stores are pushing the Q6.
After seeing the Sony OLED i fell in love with the Picture quality but it seemed dim compared to the QLED as well as my 55js9000. The Tv will be in a hall with bright light, and the parents do watch Tv during most part of the day. My concern with OLEDs after reading burn in issues would be the tata sky logo getting burnt in. And also my past bad experience with the sony x9000c and its backlight bleed.
Also whats the best price you guys have got for the sony oled?

If you are really interested in oled,go for Panasonic (Hollywood tune) or LG.sony prices just not justified.
New environment is for 4k with jio.dth will be absolut in few days. so no worry about logo burning.

As far as Samsung consider,I have very bad experience with services so not recommended.

What I seeing is that qled prices are kept high to show" the compare" with oled.no wonder the Shop pushing them after getting handsome return.
Qled is not that high technology otherwise TCL, hair not come out with half prices. the funny thing is that oled is always been compared with qled model q9fn which is not available in India.
for me oled is much better with depths and natchural pictures.

My 2 1/2 year old Samsung 55js9000 bit the bullet and Samsung had no spares for it. They refunded me about 70% of the Purchase price.
I have been looking at the 55Q8C but i cannot seem to find it on display anywhere. The best price i have got is 1.50L while croma and reliance digital are giving higher prices.
Most of the stores seem to not be having a stock and pushing me towards LG, Croma pushed me towards a 65 inch TCL while other stores are pushing the Q6.
After seeing the Sony OLED i fell in love with the Picture quality but it seemed dim compared to the QLED as well as my 55js9000. The Tv will be in a hall with bright light, and the parents do watch Tv during most part of the day. My concern with OLEDs after reading burn in issues would be the tata sky logo getting burnt in. And also my past bad experience with the sony x9000c and its backlight bleed.
The best QLED of samsung Q9FN is not available in india.The Q8C has less pick brightness than Q9FN and even Q7FN.Dont buy Q6F as it does not have full array local dimming. If you want a bright tv and you then you can consider sony x9000f which is for 1.2 approx else you can consider panasonic w800D The tv is very bright and LED so burn in worry.

On the OLED side you can get Lg C8 for 1.3 to 1.35 if you bargain hard.I will personally not buy sony because of price 1.8L.For that price with some more money you can opt for LG 65 c8 inch which is for 2.1 to 2.2

The best QLED of samsung Q9FN is not available in india.The Q8C has less pick brightness than Q9FN and even Q7FN.Dont buy Q6F as it does not have full array local dimming. If you want a bright tv and you then you can consider sony x9000f which is for 1.2 approx else you can consider panasonic w800D The tv is very bright and LED so burn in worry.

On the OLED side you can get Lg C8 for 1.3 to 1.35 if you bargain hard.I will personally not buy sony because of price 1.8L.For that price with some more money you can opt for LG 65 c8 inch which is for 2.1 to 2.2
Where did you see Panasonic 800d? Hows it? Its nowhere available. In fact it was a big struggle to get 730d in a showroom, forget about 800d.

Did you extended warranty for samsung to refund money? Because in 2.5 years, all warranties would be over.

Q8C is last years model which doesnt even have full array local dimming, its an edge lit. Forget comparing it to OLED or even sont x9000f. IMHO OLED and x900f are highly superior. But for some reason samsung qled prices are high, which is totally unjustified and not worth at all. So obvious choice is sony x9000f if u want led lcd or oled.

Panasonic has good TVs but pathetic support and sales. I'd stay away tbh.

Yes QLEDs and LEDs are brighter than OLEDs and i was insame situation of avoiding OLED and getting the X900f for higher brightness but once i actually got the C8 installed my worries were removed. Its great in my bright hall and except for brightness is better than QLED/LED in every aspect.

Panasonic has good TVs but pathetic support and sales. I'd stay away tbh.

Yes QLEDs and LEDs are brighter than OLEDs and i was insame situation of avoiding OLED and getting the X900f for higher brightness but once i actually got the C8 installed my worries were removed. Its great in my bright hall and except for brightness is better than QLED/LED in every aspect.
I think what matters to the viewing experience is the contrast, more than the peak brightness. The OLEDs have infinite contrast which makes bright objects/flashes more realistic. Also speed of OLED pixel is faster fast to change to a color and fast to light up and turn off. It makes watching scenes with some ambulance lights / flashes nore realistic. Also when it happens from a pitch black background, it makes more realistic sense than backlighted source. My PC monitor is a LED 5ms version. watching on OLED still has a easily noticeable edge.

Samesung Qled's are way too overpriced I would recommend Led (9000F) over Qled, if you are not going for Oled.

Did you extended warranty for samsung to refund money? Because in 2.5 years, all warranties would be over.
nope i had the standard one year warranty which expired. The tv would not power up was suspected the mainboard was at fault they got a test mainboard and noticed there was an issue with the panel as well. I anyway asked them for a quotation for the repairs and checked my options, 15k for exchange with a dealer, samsung got back to me 2 days later asked for my bank details, id proof invoice copy and then got a call from the head office stating due to non availability of parts they refund invoice value minus depreciation of 20% per year after the first year till 5 years.
Not a bad deal at all considering i get 70% of the price.

I am not to keen on sony i had taken the x9000c before the samsung tv it had horrendous back light bleed in three replacement tvs, i was in touch with the then service manager, they initiated a full refund. I did see the x9000f side by side with the qleds and found it brighter than the x9000f infact my parents who spend most time watching it found it brighter and to have better colors and then dad saw the sony oled he liked that but not the lg oled. Still if i do find a good deal on a 65 x9000f i might go with it.
Q8C is last years model which doesnt even have full array local dimming, its an edge lit. Forget comparing it to OLED or even sont x9000f. IMHO OLED and x900f are highly superior. But for some reason samsung qled prices are high, which is totally unjustified and not worth at all. So obvious choice is sony x9000f if u want led lcd or oled.

Q8CN is the 2018 model for europe and asia Q8Fn is the 2018 model for america and canada

Where did you see Panasonic 800d? Hows it? Its nowhere available. In fact it was a big struggle to get 730d in a showroom, forget about 800d.
yea i could not find a panasonic oled easily

I have been reading alot of the burn in and image retention on OLEDs you folks think it would be an issue? Parents watch tv for about 6-8 hrs a day at times and i guess the tata sky or channel logo may get burnt in. Also samsung offers a 10 year burn in warranty on the qleds

I am still waiting for my DD to come and for the service guys to pick my TV up its been a week since they told me they will refund. So i do have some time to check out more suggestions. Also we did get pretty used to the one connect box when attaching usb drives and any other ports

Last edited:
nope i had the standard one year warranty which expired. The tv would not power up was suspected the mainboard was at fault they got a test mainboard and noticed there was an issue with the panel as well. I anyway asked them for a quotation for the repairs and checked my options, 15k for exchange with a dealer, samsung got back to me 2 days later asked for my bank details, id proof invoice copy and then got a call from the head office stating due to non availability of parts they refund invoice value minus depreciation of 20% per year after the first year till 5 years.
Not a bad deal at all considering i get 70% of the price.

I am not to keen on sony i had taken the x9000c before the samsung tv it had horrendous back light bleed in three replacement tvs, i was in touch with the then service manager, they initiated a full refund. I did see the x9000f side by side with the qleds and found it brighter than the x9000f infact my parents who spend most time watching it found it brighter and to have better colors and then dad saw the sony oled he liked that but not the lg oled. Still if i do find a good deal on a 65 x9000f i might go with it.

Q8CN is the 2018 model for europe and asia Q8Fn is the 2018 model for america and canada

yea i could not find a panasonic oled easily

I have been reading alot of the burn in and image retention on OLEDs you folks think it would be an issue? Parents watch tv for about 6-8 hrs a day at times and i guess the tata sky or channel logo may get burnt in. Also samsung offers a 10 year burn in warranty on the qleds

I am still waiting for my DD to come and for the service guys to pick my TV up its been a week since they told me they will refund. So i do have some time to check out more suggestions. Also we did get pretty used to the one connect box when attaching usb drives and any other ports

So essentially Samsung stood behind their product. Nice. And fairly big saving for you, considering that the next best offer was 15k!

For OLED, I think there needs to be some empirical data on life, since there is continuous technological progress. Rtings.com is running a test of continuous use of oled, which you can google. But result seemed to be a life of 4k hours before burning, when the content was played for five hours and then changed. Total 20 hours playing time in a day and 4 hours tv close. Check out the article on that test.

Just to put my views here..

I have owned/am owing plasmas from panasonic and samsung before and briefly owned and threw out an LG plasma since it had no blacks to speak off.

Currently I own a sony AF8 and every time I view, my jaw drops literally. Netflix, hotstar and prime themself have too much content to consume and hence disconnected DTH and went all the way with apps..

Sony's image processing engine and upscaling is incomparable. Even 4k and 2k look far better.

Earlier when I demoed in the store, the differences were marginal va LG C8 and I got the sony because the price differential between C8 was only 6-10k and I preferred the android OS.

But having owned the AF8 for few months, The difference is certainly HUGE at home just for the picture quality. Sound, Android are only extras. If I have to buy all over again, I will even buy AF8 with the current 40k difference vs the C8 equipped with the current knowledge of the performance.

I got a android bluetooth remote for 900/- on amazon sale which is similar to fire tv remote without the gazillion buttons and am happy with it. (Still hate the original remote).

Lowest current price for AF8 is 1.65 - 1.7 in hyderabad for the 55". Stunning for such price.

I recommend reading reviews and youtube comparisons before discarding the AF8 for price alone. It is a flagship TV while C8 is the starting range of LG. E8 will be a correct comparison against AF8 and the prices are similar of E8 a bit higher. So the AF8 price at 1.65L is kind of justified.

Having said that, A lot of people got the LG 55C8 for 1.25L. it is an insane and unbelievable price.
Even 65C8 is only 20k more than 55AF8 which can sway the decision a LOT in LG's favour.

Sony's image processing engine and upscaling is incomparable. Even 4k and 2k look far better.

Lowest current price for AF8 is 1.65 - 1.7 in hyderabad for the 55". Stunning for such price.

I recommend reading reviews and youtube comparisons before discarding the AF8 for price alone.

Having said that, A lot of people got the LG 55C8 for 1.25L. it is an insane and unbelievable price.

All are valid points.

I was showed the same action movie clip in both Sony A8F and LG C8 in a cause store visit. While both looked good, I liked Sony more as it looked more like a movie than a home video. It is a bit hard to understand why, but it is the end-result that matters.

The default settings may be wrong in LG and may need a lot of calibration, but someone has to do all the work of comparing them with their best settings to be sure. So if in doubt, I think Sony would be a safer choice (LG supplies the OLED panels to Sony but Sony has better processing capabilities).

The pricing keeps changing but Sony's price for 55 inch A8F should drop to 1.55 making it closer to LG's lowest price which is 1.25. Any higher difference would be hard to justify to someone who is on a budget when any OLED brand is much better than any LED/LCD or QLED.

These high-end OLED and some top QLED models have a glossy screen while all low-end models have matte screens which makes the picture dull and tiring.

QLED are over-priced. They are the same old LCD tech with some improvements. For the similar price of a QLED TV, it is better to go for a high-end and one size larger LED-LCD if you are not going for an OLED TV.

Very beautifully written review. For those with a fat wallet and knows how to avoid OLED burn-in, at that price point AF8 is a no-brainer. Yes its costlier than C8, but trying to save some thousands when you are already putting down a huge sum on a TV is baffling. When you go big, go for the best is my mantra. But then that's me.

Last edited:
The pricing keeps changing but Sony's price for 55 inch A8F should drop to 1.55 making it closer to LG's lowest price which is 1.25. Any higher difference would be hard to justify to someone who is on a budget ...
I like the fact that Sony prices itself more than others. That's what it makes it retain its premium image and the oomph factor. Sort of like a Merc/BMW among a sea of Hondas and Toyotas.
And the additional amount you put down for a Sony is for its obviously superior R&D (picture processing and possibly even audio, as in the case of acoustic surface tech). In my opinion its worth investing more on a Sony when you are cash rich and willing to pump in huge amounts on a TV.

Last edited:
All are valid points.

I was showed the same action movie clip in both Sony A8F and LG C8 in a cause store visit. While both looked good, I liked Sony more as it looked more like a movie than a home video. It is a bit hard to understand why, but it is the end-result that matters.

The default settings may be wrong in LG and may need a lot of calibration, but someone has to do all the work of comparing them with their best settings to be sure. So if in doubt, I think Sony would be a safer choice (LG supplies the OLED panels to Sony but Sony has better processing capabilities).

The pricing keeps changing but Sony's price for 55 inch A8F should drop to 1.55 making it closer to LG's lowest price which is 1.25. Any higher difference would be hard to justify to someone who is on a budget when any OLED brand is much better than any LED/LCD or QLED.

These high-end OLED and some top QLED models have a glossy screen while all low-end models have matte screens which makes the picture dull and tiring.

QLED are over-priced. They are the same old LCD tech with some improvements. For the similar price of a QLED TV, it is better to go for a high-end and one size larger LED-LCD if you are not going for an OLED TV.
yes thats the same difference i felt with the lg oled vs sony oled. However none of the stores are having it below 2l I asked reliance to give me the best price they could minus any offers or gifts. they said 2.10.
Lg Oled the best i could get on C8 was 1.45
Samsung 55Q8CN best 1.50 but with a 1 week wait time since they need to order it from samsung. 55Q7FN 1.38 best price ready stock and 55q6FN for 1.12

one of the stores who offered it to me for 1.52 and had one piece in stock I paid a token booking of 1000 bucks cause he kept insisiting, i asked them for me to be able to see the box before i make the final payment later, they showed me a box which was torn on two side of the top corners and the rear side, the tape was also half way put on. And their handling of other tvs in the stack was horrible, they would just slide it n let it drop down on the sides. i asked for a new unit but was denied and was even denied refund of 1000, they kept forcing me to take that and when i walked out after letting them keep that they kept calling and arm twisting me to take that, and then told me they were getting another unit, i disliked their behaviour so told them I am not interested, they kept calling for a day and said you have to take it we went into loss of 4l cause of you.

will go again tomorrow to some more stores and see whats the best deal i can crack for the sony oled.

So essentially Samsung stood behind their product. Nice. And fairly big saving for you, considering that the next best offer was 15k!

For OLED, I think there needs to be some empirical data on life, since there is continuous technological progress. Rtings.com is running a test of continuous use of oled, which you can google. But result seemed to be a life of 4k hours before burning, when the content was played for five hours and then changed. Total 20 hours playing time in a day and 4 hours tv close. Check out the article on that test.

Yes! I was impressed with them offering a refund without me even thinking that they do have something like this, or without needing to push them for it. Thanks i will check that out

Last edited:
I like the fact that Sony prices itself more than others. That's what it makes it retain its premium image and the oomph factor. Sort of like a Merc/BMW among a sea of Hondas and Toyotas.
And the additional amount you put down for a Sony is for its obviously superior R&D (picture processing and possibly even audio, as in the case of acoustic surface tech). In my opinion its worth investing more on a Sony when you are cash rich and willing to pump in huge amounts on a TV.
Well if u like expensive tvs then you should consider lg w8 77 inch wallpaper tv 33lac mrp.god knows how much discount the dealer will give.

yes thats the same difference i felt with the lg oled vs sony oled. However none of the stores are having it below 2l I asked reliance to give me the best price they could minus any offers or gifts. they said 2.10.
Lg Oled the best i could get on C8 was 1.45
Samsung 55Q8CN best 1.50 but with a 1 week wait time since they need to order it from samsung. 55Q7FN 1.38 best price ready stock and 55q6FN for 1.12

one of the stores who offered it to me for 1.52 and had one piece in stock I paid a token booking of 1000 bucks cause he kept insisiting, i asked them for me to be able to see the box before i make the final payment later, they showed me a box which was torn on two side of the top corners and the rear side, the tape was also half way put on. And their handling of other tvs in the stack was horrible, they would just slide it n let it drop down on the sides. i asked for a new unit but was denied and was even denied refund of 1000, they kept forcing me to take that and when i walked out after letting them keep that they kept calling and arm twisting me to take that, and then told me they were getting another unit, i disliked their behaviour so told them I am not interested, they kept calling for a day and said you have to take it we went into loss of 4l cause of you.

will go again tomorrow to some more stores and see whats the best deal i can crack for the sony oled.

Yes! I was impressed with them offering a refund without me even thinking that they do have something like this, or without needing to push them for it. Thanks i will check that out

One point : isnt q8cn a curved tv model?

And where did you get these prices? Which city?

One point : isnt q8cn a curved tv model?

And where did you get these prices? Which city?

yes it is.. The one which samsung is refunding for is a curved one as well.
The prices are from Navi Mumbai, Kohinoor stores another store gave me a similar good price for the qleds. The prices are minus any offers. Cash back is from the bank and i will be swiping two cards they said i could get cash back on both cards.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back