Newbie building home theater DIY mode.

sandeepgarg

I am a newbie here based in Ajmer Rajasthan, not much of ear for sounds. Have a room 29'x19' for home theater (flexible maybe with a dance floor too, if ok? Confused)

Height of ceiling is 11.5' front (screen wall). 2 steps 6.5' wide and 9" and 1.5' height each at rear for the seats. Leaves about 16' ground level. Roof is 7" RCC, no false ceiling done till now. All plastered brick walls (flyash Bricks-- less porous than red bricks). 1.5' hanging beam across centre. Floor is ceramic tiles.

Entry from 1 side if rear wall (19'), and 3 long windows 1'10" of wood and glass on 1 side wall.

I need reasonable priced acoustic, Audio (maybe 7.1.2 or 7.2.4) and video. Hoping the total project with 10 to 12 seating ends within 7 to 8 lakhs.

Picture attached.

PLEASE HELP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191210-093220.png
    Screenshot_20191210-093220.png
    188 KB · Views: 39
I need reasonable priced acoustic, Audio (maybe 7.1.2 or 7.2.4) and video. Hoping the total project with 10 to 12 seating ends within 7 to 8 lakhs.

Is 7 - 8 Lakhs budget for AVR, speakers, projector & Acoustics?.. I believe if you are going the DIY route for acoustics, then it wouldn't be expensive..

You should be able to complete a good 7.2.4 set-up in your budget.. For AVR you may consider Denon x 3600 / Marantz SR 6013 (or) any other 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs to get to 7.2.4 set-up..

For speakers, try to audition brands that are aval in your city / or the nearest city, so you can then shortlist based on that..

Projector - 4K (or) FHD?..

Thanks for the reply elangoas!! The budget I am aiming for is with seats, wall (including heavy blackouts for Windows) and ceiling acoustic (with false ceiling), 4k 3D projector, screen, audio setup and Wall/ceiling lights. Looking at external speakers and not in Wall.

Here we do not have any good shop with the required equipment. :-(

I want to start with the basic acoustics 1st so there is no echo. Wiring has to be done according to location of speakers. These are the 2 things that I need to understand 1st.

Please check out the threads by FM @hydrovac, @sud98 which have extensive coverage on acoustic treatment. Also, please connect with FM @yogibear . He had posted a few HT gears on sale last year which are used in dedicated HT rooms (Like M&K speakers/SW).

Thanks for the reply elangoas!! The budget I am aiming for is with seats, wall (including heavy blackouts for Windows) and ceiling acoustic (with false ceiling), 4k 3D projector, screen, audio setup and Wall/ceiling lights. Looking at external speakers and not in Wall.

Here we do not have any good shop with the required equipment. :-(

Ok.. 4K projectors can be expensive.. Am not much into 4K, other members should chip in here..

Regarding screen, what diagonal size are you looking at?.. DIY Acoustic Transparent screen (or) Vinyl screen?..

I want to start with the basic acoustics 1st so there is no echo. Wiring has to be done according to location of speakers. These are the 2 things that I need to understand 1st.

Ok Great.. Since you have already planned ceiling acoustic, this should help take care of echo.. A good amount of fabric in the room in any form (curtains / carpet) should also add to that help..

I'm looking at screen of 133" to 150" diagonal.

For ceiling as there is a 1.5' beam hanging across center of room, I am thinking of perforated gypsum with 2" glasswool inside (maybe encased in some sort of hdpe bag). Or will pine mdf 9mm 850 gsm do instead of gypsum? Or regular mdf + glasswool?

Should I cover the whole ceiling or the front till beam with perforated, and behind beam with plain gypsum with or without glasswool? Should it be done in 2 steps or 1 continuous, as i have lesser height to ceiling at rear?

For 3 walls (both sides and rear), I plan to install 2" wood wool board (or glass wool) with 1.5" air gap behind, front with mdf and 1" foam + fabric. About 1' after floor and 4' height after that, total height ends at 5'. Will this do or is more height needed?

Should only the front half of room have this treatment? Then what of rear walls

Heavy blackout curtains for Windows should suffice.

How should I treat the wall behind the screen. I plan a rolling screen about 1' from final front wall.

I may, if possible, use the 13x19 floor as a party floor also (but maybe not).

Will this do as a basic cost effective acoustic setup?

I'm looking at screen of 133" to 150" diagonal.

Thats a good size..

For ceiling as there is a 1.5' beam hanging across center of room, I am thinking of perforated gypsum with 2" glasswool inside (maybe encased in some sort of hdpe bag). Or will pine mdf 9mm 850 gsm do instead of gypsum? Or regular mdf + glasswool?

I think this is a good idea to cover the ceiling with absorption material and then cover it with perforated gypsum board.. I recently completed Acoustics in my living room and did it a bit differently..

Should I cover the whole ceiling or the front till beam with perforated, and behind beam with plain gypsum with or without glasswool? Should it be done in 2 steps or 1 continuous, as i have lesser height to ceiling at rear?

I think whole ceiling would be a good idea, as it is single largest surface in any room..

For 3 walls (both sides and rear), I plan to install 2" wood wool board (or glass wool) with 1.5" air gap behind, front with mdf and 1" foam + fabric. About 1' after floor and 4' height after that, total height ends at 5'. Will this do or is more height needed?

Treatment for any room, calls for in the low freq range.. Your room being this big, not sure, if you would have as much issues as in a small room.. But, to treat low freq, the material has to be thick..

How should I treat the wall behind the screen. I plan a rolling screen about 1' from final front wall.

Front wall treatment in-between the L-C-R would be good.. I added 6 inches of absorption on either sides of my center speaker and it has been a noticeable improvement..

Will this do as a basic cost effective acoustic setup?

For now, i guess you entire ceiling + front wall + thicker bass traps at the rear of the room, as high as the sofa should do to large extent..

The air gap area needs to be sealed to be effective.

Also, use rockwool instead of glasswool as its easier to handle.

If you are using for mid-high frequencies, then you dont need so much absorption (in terms of thickness). For bass frequencies you probably need more so better to build corner end to end traps.

On side walls will the 5' height of panelling (4' actual panel) do?

For rear what diffuser to use? What to use for thick absorption in area behind front speakers? Should I put the 2 front, 1 central, 2 subwoofers, behind the curtain and go for an audio (nano) curtain?

Should it be a rolling curtain, I am being advised against it for best quality and also for damage during opening and shutting?

I have been told that do not put any insulation rock wool or glass wool on ceiling, just perforated gypsum is enough. Any advice? I have echo, as it is a bare room right now.

I am also being advised in Wall speakers as they are better. Except for being invisible, are they really better?

I always thought that visible speakers are more professional looking and versatile (maybe my personal opinion).

What to use for thick absorption in area behind front speakers? Should I put the 2 front, 1 central, 2 subwoofers, behind the curtain and go for an audio (nano) curtain?

Should it be a rolling curtain, I am being advised against it for best quality and also for damage during opening and shutting?

Rockwool is cheaper and easier to work with.. Lower density of the material, with higher thickness should do on the front wall, behind speakers and in-between L-C-R.. Assuming your L-C-R, each of them have 30cm depth, then it would be better to have 30cm depth of rockwool in-between them..

Didn't understand when you said audio curtain.. Did you mean Acoustic Transparent screen?.. If so, that would be best to hide all the 3 speakers and subwoofers behind screen as well as acoustic material..

I have been told that do not put any insulation rock wool or glass wool on ceiling, just perforated gypsum is enough. Any advice? I have echo, as it is a bare room right now.

Bare rooms have echo.. The more softer material used in the room, will help to reduce the echo..

I have abt 100 cu.ft of rockwool on ceiling / high wall corners in my living room and find it just right.. Not sure why you were suggested against it.. Any specific reason from the person who said that?..

How thick is possible (or) have you planned for the thickness of acoustic material between perforated gypsum board and the concrete ceiling?..

Sorry, was out of touch for long.

I am trying to setup a reasonable home theater as I said.

I am thinking of just a TAGA TAV 606SE 5.0 package (about 37000/-), add 2 more surrounds/rear (suggest), 1 or 2 subwoofers (suggest) and 2/4 ceiling Atmos (not too expensive). Will this work?

After the 1st 2 months novelty, this will be very occasional like 8 to 10 times a year, with friends.

I cannot see my utility of spending more.

Now which reasonable AVR with 4k passthrough and projector to use?

I am thinking of painting the whole front wall white. Will this work?

The size of the room is 19' x 29' (550sqft) untreated.

Just some cheap woodwool board, or glasswool/rockwool panels with fabric and air gap, behind the speakers, and some on walls (4x2 8 or 9pcs on each side, 4 on rear)

Ceiling perforated gypsum board, with some panels there too. Will experiment with the locations.

May set up a framed woven AT screen, if able to source fine Lycra fabric. Let's see.......

Will this packaging material work for giving acoustic support, it is pretty light.

Attachments

• 15770135131783083081165642065091.jpg
    15770135131783083081165642065091.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 34
The size of the room is 19' x 29' (550sqft) untreated.

Just some cheap woodwool board, or glasswool/rockwool panels with fabric and air gap, behind the speakers, and some on walls (4x2 8 or 9pcs on each side, 4 on rear)

Ceiling perforated gypsum board, with some panels there too. Will experiment with the locations.

May set up a framed woven AT screen, if able to source fine Lycra fabric. Let's see.......
look for spandex material. FM kannan is a source I used and a few others. I am not sure of the purpose of the packaging material, so cant comment.

It is a 550 sqft room, 19x29.

For speakers I am thinking of just a TAGA TAV 606SE 5.0 package (about 37000/-), add 2 more surrounds/rear (suggest), 1 or 2 subwoofers (suggest) and 2/4 ceiling Atmos (not too expensive). Will this work reasonably? I want to keep it very cost effective.

After the 1st 2 months novelty, this will be very occasional -- like 8 to 10 times a year, with friends. And PS4 Pro games by son.

I cannot see my utility of spending big :-(

Now which reasonable AVR (leaning for Pioneer lx303 or 503) with 4k passthrough (either 7.2 or 9.2 and projector to use (1080p or 4k--may be overkill right now)?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back