NewCDP Line

Dear Sridhar,
Apart from the cdps,amps and other equipment why not consider A/V furniture too. AV racks and speaker stands can be imported from China/korea and sold here. Most of us would be only too happy to buy locally and save the headache of carting it from abroad or relying on average carpenters/fabricators to make one.
A distributor friend had imported 100 racks from Korea and it cost him 2100/- per 3 tier rack(steel tube/6mm toughened glass) and he sold them for 8000/-!!!!!!!!! a couple of years ago.
Sadly now when i require a solid rack this joker has migrated to Australia.
Regards

Sorry folks, was out of town and my trip back was delayed. I see Oppo, Rega and Jolida. I have looked at Monarchy, in fact I was in touch with C Poon but I dont think its going to work out. This is what I said about small shops. Its great that Poon is doing a service to the audio community in a sense since he keeps his costs to a minimum (he has struck it rich with some seminconductor company that he invested in and made it big enough to not work again :D
The Monarchy DAC is a great piece since it can add a tube in the path and also provide a pre functionality not to mention the different number of combinations. However, Monarchy is not likely to work for various reasons and it will be too expensive when its brought here. However, just that one peice may be worth it, let me check
Oppo - another great player, great pricing, but with the way the company operates, there is no way you can be competitive in pricing, their margins are not big enough to have dealers operate with the same retail price - at least the last time I checked. So, what does this mean - simply that by the time the product gets here its going to be much more than US retail and a customer who does not know this will think the dealer is pricing it too high.
Rega -
This is an interesting one. I havent pursued this, let me check. If I had $2K would I buy the saturn, no, but thats me, for this price, one possibility for me is the Raysonic or this other player that I am pursuing. Thats not to say that the saturn is not a good player, its a matter of taste.

cheers
Sridhar

Raysonic has a distributor and dealers are already there. Its priced somewhere around Rs 95K :(

I would think that OPPO fits tghe bill Perfectly.... CDP + SACD priced below US $ 250.

The range has been VERY well reviewed for the past couple of years.

Burge Cooper offers this product, but at ABSURD prices... ( Like all the other stuff he offers :mad: ) and I dont think that they have any Exclusive dealership...

Worth Exploring ?

i have somewhat addressed Oppo in my previous post, just curious what the indian prices are like?
Oppo does not have a distributor model
cheers

Folks
A quick update. Numerous attempts to Rega went unanswered :mad:

I now have a CDP that I am bringing in, will evaluate and give feedback / decide based on that. But my gut feel tells me that they will end up retailing here for higher than I initially planned.
What do you guys think is there a lot room for a good CDP in the Rs 40K range? Its priced around the same in the US and has been reviewed well. Its a SS player but with a very unconventional output :D

cheers
Sridhar

Sorry :p no brand right now. I am sure you can figure it out though. Very few CD players have gone for this type of approach in their output stage. Once I have it in-house I will let you know either way since then it will either be
We are dealers for it OR we pass on it :)

cheers

Re : The Oppo
Srudhar, I had my brother bring in the Oppo DV 981 HD for me last year-cost me $229 x Rs 40.
It sure is a great universal player & unbeatable VFM.
A2V are selling it for in excess of Rs 30 k.
If you were to handle them, what could you price them at?
IMHO owning an Oppo is a win win situation; you are starting out in Audio & can't really afford a Hi quality dedicated Cd player + a good DVD player for the wifie who would rather watch movies.
So you get in an Oppo, which gives you pretty good audio playback( read Wes Philips review of the Oppo 970 in Stereophile) + outstanding DVD playback-everyone happy.
You want to move on in Audio so you pick up a good DAC & pair it to the great Oppo transport-you get true Hi end playback( plz recheck the stereophile review for authentification) & wifie still has an outstanding DVD player for her movies-continued happiness.
Need I go on ?
Think abt it...

hi Kamal
thanks for the post. I agree that it would be good to bring the Oppo down, however Oppo does direct only, no distributor, I checked a while back. Getting the oppo down would be the same price for me as it would be for if you order direct. Second, we will not be able to offer service as we don't get the support needed from oppo.
cheers

Hi Sridhar,

As far as I know, Oppo does not ship to India even for direct orders. If we go through the online ordering form, India is not available as an option in the list of countries. I had written to them about a year ago. At that time, they informed me that they did not do direct shipping to India.

Hence the need for a dealer for Oppo. Oppo do have international resellers in a few countries. They are again listed at OPPO Digital - Where to Buy OPPO Products

Regards,
Prasad.

Hi
CEC is not even responding properly to the US distributor as they find the Russian and other markets more lucrative. But the CEC 51XR is a fanstastic player for the price. Doge 6 is terriffic player but support will be an issue.

cheers

Ah, I see. Thanks for responding. If I may ask, have you short-listed the brands/models that you are planning to carry?

Hi
No, unfortunately I have not as far as CDPs go. The only one we carry apart from the usual NAD, Marantz is the Usher CD-7 CDP. I will be getting a tube CDP shortly from Japan (with a DAC on the similar lines of Audio Note but at much much less price), if we like it, we will carry it.

cheers

Hi,

I did mail Oppo a few days back and they are shipping to India and that too for a charge of $72.50. They sent me the link for an offline order form that can be faxed/mailed and this is for ordering in USD and from the main site of OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer. Even going at Rs. 50 for $1.00 it still works out to half the rate compared to the Rs. 40K on the OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer site. Might be now they will stop processing orders for India from the .com site and process only on the .in site.

Folks
this is all old news. There is a distributor now for Oppo in India and as far as I know the DVD player is available in most major cities. While we dont carry Oppo, my take is that you should support your local dealer, yes you may still get it for a bit cheaper if you buy from outside, but building this relationship is important if this nice market has to grow and finally savings to be passed back to the user. Pls also remember that warranty typically holds only for items bought locally.

cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back