Newly acquired Harbeth SHL5 in my setup - singing but not performing?????

...with some Aberlour/Laphroaig...
!!! Please delete one. Whether or not I contribute more in your thread will depend upon the one you delete!!!

Just kidding... agree with your plan below, but, did you try a cotton mattress or pile of pillows of cushions in the Corners behind the speakers? I think they will have a considerable effect on room acoustics.

5. Room treatment is the crying need of the hour - I can feel that basic room treatment like a couple of bass traps and acoustic panels are greatly necessary to improve the sound, especially the bass traps, as I can feel the pressure buildup in my ears with a few songs with sustained low frequencies.

Hence, I am trying to add some better furniture, find affordable treatment supplies, nothing that is too jarring aesthetically and will blend in into my living room. I have also ordered a nice carpet for the floor and will try to address the reflection points on the floor and the side walls (ceiling - not sure I can do anything there, don't think I want to either)

Anyway, my immediate plan of action, therefore, is furniture + room treatment first, good DAC next and maybe an amp upgrade (to Rega Elex or Elicit maybe, as I like the combo) during my end of year visit to the Blighty. (I will post 'before/after' pictures of my room as soon as I do something)

Meanwhile, as I type this, I am listening to 'Soulville' by Ben Webster on my headphones at work. So, this evening will be an evening of Harbeth, scotch, some olives and great saxophone... Hmm, am I the new king of good times?? :D

once again... which scotch??

!!! Please delete one. Whether or not I contribute more in your thread will depend upon the one you delete!!!

once again... which scotch??

Sorry aashish, can't do. It is like choosing your favourite child ;) both of them I love. In fact love all the peaty single malts - try 'Caol Ila' if you haven't already. That is in my top 5 too.

Just kidding... agree with your plan below, but, did you try a cotton mattress or pile of pillows of cushions in the Corners behind the speakers? I think they will have a considerable effect on room acoustics.

Anyway, I tried placing the bolsters, in the corners behind the speakers, and I am not sure if it made too much of a difference, couldn't discern a big difference. But I will give it a go with a mattress, let's see.

Meanwhile, guys, just a quick question regarding bass traps...

This may sound stupid, but a lot of recommendation is about placing some bass traps (DIY, branded or home remedies) in the corners, behind the speakers. But (pardon my ignorance), if my speakers are front ported and not rear, do I still need the traps behind the speakers (in the corners)? Won't adding some absorption in the front (like carpets on the floor and something else on the walls) be more effective?

Not an expert but here's what I know: bass waves are long. A 50Hz wave is 22 feet long; lower notes are longer. Also bass waves are omnidirectional and radiate in all directions. It's why when one is trying to locate a rave in Goa, for instance, a good rule of thumb is to just head in the direction of the sound of the bass because one can hear it before anything else :) In a room typically, the wave exits the speakers, hits the walls, reverses its direction and then meets the next oncoming wave, creating a sort of muddiness and tending to build up most strongly in the corners, especially the trihedral corners that is, wall-wall-ceiling or wall-wall-floor. The front position of the ports won't make a huge difference, other than allowing a little more leeway in terms of positioning your speakers. Neither will carpets or wall padding. Ideally, all corners should be treated, wall and ceiling. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in with more info. But those are the basic truths, from what I can tell.

Regarding the amp, I've tried my Harbeths with a 65W tube amp and a 200W SS amp. Both sound great but I found that the extra watts give more body to the sound, especially in the low end the bass seems to have a little more definition to it. I would urge you to experiment with more watts if you can, and see if that makes a difference in your room. Hope this helps.

Regardless of anything else, it's great to hear that you find the sound more to your liking now. I bet it's going to sound better and better with time (and tweaks).

Last edited:
Meanwhile, guys, just a quick question regarding bass traps...

This may sound stupid, but a lot of recommendation is about placing some bass traps (DIY, branded or home remedies) in the corners, behind the speakers. But (pardon my ignorance), if my speakers are front ported and not rear, do I still need the traps behind the speakers (in the corners)? Won't adding some absorption in the front (like carpets on the floor and something else on the walls) be more effective?

i would not suggest doing this yourself. every absorber will also take away something as well hence needs to be done by some one who knows this well.

Best way is to play around with placement and seating position as the biggest problem is room nodes which the bass trap will anyway not solve much of- electronic EQ can do that but it comes with its own problems

If u have a chance try vintage sansui au series integrated amps like au717,517.no looking back.thats one of the reason people still paying top dollars for vintage sansui,specially fully refurbished.its my small advice came frm experience.

Sansuis, go for them where ever you get them. Although, difficult to find them these days in India. Have also heard some available with Original transistors replaced. Give a through check before you jump.

I am a proud owner of AU 717, AU D 11 and a much smaller AU D7, and they are worth every penny.

My D7 needs a service and recap now. will feed this beauty new Nichikons Caps and they will last well for my son and his son there after as well.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back