Nikon D5100 SLR or Nikon P500 Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gobble dear friend, I am talking about images, pictures taken from the camera, not videos ....:) If the image taken from the DSLR isnt in 16:9 then its gonna lad up with those black bars when viewing on a 16:9 LCD (which is common these days)

Unless you take the pics in JPG, it wont be a problem. While converting to JPG from RAW images from your camera, adjust the image size so that you will not loose the IQ.

Well this mean some post processing for every image will become a mandatory task ..... damm, this is not good new as far as I am concerned ..... hope the black bars are not too big as its 2:3.

Well this mean some post processing for every image will become a mandatory task ..... damm, this is not good new as far as I am concerned ..... hope the black bars are not too big as its 2:3.

I dont know how much will it affect in decision making for a DSLR vs Point n Shoot, for me its irrelevant (if i understand the issue properly).

Also 1080p is not any standard for photography.

No this would definitely be....not as bad as to go for a PnS ... Its DSLR all the way mind is made up ... also its not about 1080p resolution ..... any resolution as high as 5xxx can be in 16:9 ratio. Its about the ratio .... not the resolution. I am surprised that with all the displays these days in 16:9 ratio, these DSLRs does not come with any resolution in 16:9......strange ....

No this would definitely be....not as bad as to go for a PnS ... Its DSLR all the way mind is made up ... also its not about 1080p resolution ..... any resolution as high as 5xxx can be in 16:9 ratio. Its about the ratio .... not the resolution. I am surprised that with all the displays these days in 16:9 ratio, these DSLRs does not come with any resolution in 16:9......strange ....

Its not simple as that, then there wont be any 1.5x, 1.6x crop, premium full frame sensors in the market

I dont know how much will it affect in decision making for a DSLR vs Point n Shoot, for me its irrelevant (if i understand the issue properly).

Also 1080p is not any standard for photography.

DSLRs shoot in 3:2 format and photographs are just displayed nicely so I am not sure if it is really a major issue that can play a significant role in the selection of a camera. As far as videos are concerned, a full HD video will be displayed in 16:9 format.

Why did you drop D5100 ? Sorry if I missed it. :eek:

D5100 might be as good as 550D, but when I held D3100 and then 1100D, Canon 1100D felt far better than 3100. Going by the same logic I think 550D would be better in ergonomics and handling....

DSLRs shoot in 3:2 format and photographs are just displayed nicely so I am not sure if it is really a major issue that can play a significant role in the selection of a camera. As far as videos are concerned, a full HD video will be displayed in 16:9 format.

It isnt an issue as bad as to make it a decisions factor maybe, but it still is a big one when you mostly view your pics on 47" LCD, and black bars on both ends would definitely not be a pleasing picture viewing experience ....

Gobble dear friend, I am talking about images, pictures taken from the camera, not videos ....:) If the image taken from the DSLR isnt in 16:9 then its gonna lad up with those black bars when viewing on a 16:9 LCD (which is common these days)

Sam dearest,
I was referring to the ability to use 16:9 mode to take picture shots as well. ;) Not just videos :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

^^ Gobble my dearest dearest friend, thats what i am saying, 550D does not have the ability to use 16:9 mode to take pictures as well ...... :D :)

^^ Gobble my dearest dearest friend, thats what i am saying, 550D does not have the ability to use 16:9 mode to take pictures as well ...... :D :)

You are an absolute darling Sam ... where would I be without you? :eek:hyeah: ;)

Now tell us your choice quickly so we can all celebrate your purchase :yahoo:

--G0bble
:)

Friends, fellow mates and photography gurus, the judgement day arrived and 12 pages of pure knowldge did not go wast ...... and finally I bought the amazing
Canon 550D TSi Rebel

intro001.jpg

zurtop.jpg

I will write a detail review and experience later, but let me share the first impressions.

Cost : 33500 with 18-55mm, plus I also purchased a 55-250mm for 12500, so total its a woping expense of 46000, with a camera in the hands of a total noob....:D . Thing to note is that these lenses are with IS II, and not I so are a bit expensive as compared to IS I.

Any way with time I hope gurus here will help me not regrette the decission ...:D

I did not go with 50mm 1.8 prime (I might go at later stage), as that is a portrait lens, I tried the lens at the showroom, and though it was giving amazing face portraits, I would have been very limited in my range out side on my trip. Instead invested on a 50-250mm to get better zoom reach. Now I am covered from 18mm to 250mm and I think I will be correct in saying that it will be adequate for most of the general photography while travelling.

First 10-20 snaps were on full auto out side and results were amazing, ofcourse. Then I started fiddling around the settings ..... man there are so many ...:D .... the permutation combination of shutter speed and aperture to get that perfect low light snap has got my head spinning ...... :D :D ....

But will get there (with some help from you all ...:) ..... anyway happy to have invested in this DSLR. Waiting for some outing to put this beast on some test .........

Will update with detail review/doubts/experiments and probably loads n loads of questions on DSLR photography .....

My sincere thanks for all of my fellow mates who poured in their valuable suggestions to help me make my decision, looking forward for more guidance and support for the same .....

Last edited:
Dear Sam,

Congratulations on your deeply researched and well documented purchase. I hope you have a wonderful time taking, viewing and displaying pictures with your brand new DSLR. Please keep us posted as you go along through this thread.

All the very best to you and your photography.

Congratulations Sam. :clapping:

Looking forward to see "Sams Photography Guide" in your signature.:)

hey... congrats budd.. now another thread's gotta start.. how bout another one on shutter/aperture and light effect and diffrent kinda photography..

Many congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure this camera system will give you a great deal of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back