Nikon D5100 SLR or Nikon P500 Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
besides increasing the ISO.. you could have tried wider aperture with a slower shutter speed and that could have done the trick at ISO 200.

most of the P&S max out at 400 and then you wont feel the pics are awsome..

dslr using the bigger sensor are usable upto ISO 1600.

was already maxing out on aperture and exposure time as per my ability to hold it still :)
Actually I could have changed to 50mm but then I didn't.

I agree totally. Take a look at Fuji X10 compact for total vintage style manual controls FUJIFILM X10 | Fujifilm Global or its DSLR cousin X100.

Edit: Just saw this, think maybe this will be my next Fuji to launch pro interchangeable lens version of the X100 | EOSHD.com :licklips:

Sigh. That is a work of beauty. For what it is worth, other companies try to do the retro rangefinder look, but only Fuji really "gets" it.

Its such a shame they decided to put a small sensor in the X10 and the X100 doesn't have interchangeable lenses.

Last edited:
Guys any update on my final choice ... ??? :)

you gotta take the final call.. we were all here with so many posts to confuse you.. :):)

Too many Gobblins on HFV :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Personally I would start with D5100 and the 1.8G prime and buy the 70-200VR lens a year later. I am not tempted to get the Canon with its double lens kit because

1. These lenses will provide average PQ compared to a 1.8 or 1.4 prime but present too may mental complications with regards to composition and on-the-fly swapping of lenses while you still struggle to get **outstanding** pics
2. I am now confident of my mind settling in with the "limitation" of a fixed focal lens and adapting around it to compose great pics, adding simplicity to the process of composition. The plus is in the outstanding PQ or IQ of a prime that will help me anticipate a shot being familiar with its results.
3. The 70-200 will help me shoot with the specific intent I have for it (archeology/sculptures on distant walls of temples and other odd usage) and make lens swapping rare.

Your thread just helped me make up my mind on what I would get if it were a Nikon D5100 body. Now I will wait for serendipity to strike another idea or path to consider an alternative choice before I will actually purchase a DSLR next year. No more thinking or worrying about what Nikon kit for me. :clapping:

What are the equivalent lens kit options with the Canon D1100? Waiting for the Fuji X100 with interchangeable lens as well along with serendipity :)

--G0bble

Last edited:
Before getting the dslr, I wanted to buy a compact that I can carry around easily, in my pocket. Did not want superzoom.
I was STRONGLY advised by my "network" to go for a DSLR and I went for it. And I love it.
However, I STILL want to buy a camera which may not have superzoom, but fits my pocket easily and is easier to carry around. Maybe a mobile with exceptional camera will do the trick. But I want a large sensor size, good ISO capability, big aperture.
Fuji X100 is nice, but EXPENSIVE.

Ok then I will go to the show room and fiddle around one final time between, Sony A35, Canon 1100D and Canon 550D (if available for around 35-38) and see what feels good. Hoping and expecting that the pic quality for all three would more or less be the same.

JUST ONE LAST Q, which I asked .....

A35 is for 35K without any extra lens ,only stock 18-55mm. So again If I have to buy one lens to complete the kit with A35, apart from the stock 18-55mm which one it should be.

1100D is coming with 18-55 and 55-250mm IS lens for 38K and I might bargain it for aroung 36 as well. So the price point between the two is very marginal. Same question here, If I have to buy one lens to complete the kit with 1100D, apart from the stock 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses, which one they should be.

Same with 550D ...

In a nut shell, what ever SLR I purchase of the above, which one kit lens should I buy apart from the stock, to complete the beginners kit

Too many Gobblins on HFV :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Personally I would start with D5100 and the 1.8G prime and buy the 70-200VR lens a year later. I am not tempted to get the Canon with its double lens kit because

1. These lenses will provide average PQ compared to a 1.8 or 1.4 prime but present too may mental complications with regards to composition and on-the-fly swapping of lenses while you still struggle to get **outstanding** pics
2. I am now confident of my mind settling in with the "limitation" of a fixed focal lens and adapting around it to compose great pics, adding simplicity to the process of composition. The plus is in the outstanding PQ or IQ of a prime that will help me anticipate a shot being familiar with its results.
3. The 70-200 will help me shoot with the specific intent I have for it (archeology/sculptures on distant walls of temples and other odd usage) and make lens swapping rare.

Your thread just helped me make up my mind on what I would get if it were a Nikon D5100 body. Now I will wait for serendipity to strike another idea or path to consider an alternative choice before I will actually purchase a DSLR next year. No more thinking or worrying about what Nikon kit for me. :clapping:

What are the equivalent lens kit options with the Canon D1100? Waiting for the Fuji X100 with interchangeable lens as well along with serendipity :)

--G0bble

we will be waiting for your new purchase..

and yes.. not too many.. gobble is just one...

Last edited:
Before getting the dslr, I wanted to buy a compact that I can carry around easily, in my pocket. Did not want superzoom.
I was STRONGLY advised by my "network" to go for a DSLR and I went for it. And I love it.
However, I STILL want to buy a camera which may not have superzoom, but fits my pocket easily and is easier to carry around. Maybe a mobile with exceptional camera will do the trick. But I want a large sensor size, good ISO capability, big aperture.
Fuji X100 is nice, but EXPENSIVE.

x100 is no way pocketable.. it big biger than the d5100/550d in terms of width.

x10 isint pocketable too.. however micro hybrids are a good options.. but not pocektable.. look forward for pana series.. they are darn good..but every thing comes with its flaws.. no comparing it to a dslr..

Last edited:
Reactions: anm
Ok then I will go to the show room and fiddle around one final time between, Sony A35, Canon 1100D and Canon 550D (if available for around 35-38) and see what feels good. Hoping and expecting that the pic quality for all three would more or less be the same.

A35 is for 35K without any extra lens ,only stock 18-55mm. So again If I have to buy one lens to complete the kit with A35, apart from the stock 18-55mm which one it should be.

1100D is coming with 18-55 and 55-250mm IS lens for 38K and I might bargain it for aroung 36 as well. So the price point between the two is very marginal. Same question here, If I have to buy one lens to complete the kit with 1100D, apart from the stock 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses, which one they should be.

Same with 550D ...

In a nut shell, what ever SLR I purchase of the above, which one kit lens should I buy apart from the stock, to complete the beginners kit

50mm prime

later you can upgrade the 18-55 (non IS) to some good L lens or 17-50 from Tamron non-OS (preferred). For a 50mm range if you require IS, there is no point in going for a DSLR. Hope you will take it in the right spirit.

Last edited:
@sam9s,

So both cameras from thread title are not a choice any more? Time to rename the thread I think, DSLR or Bridge. ;)

Same with 550D ...

A35 as suggested can be a good option but i wudn't be commenting as i have not tried it ever..

for 1100D..and 550D. it completely depends on you.. if you would be needing a zoom or not.. or you would wanna settle down with a prime fixed lens giving exceptional quality and later add more lenses. (more likely to happen).

right now as this gonna be your first dslr.. just pick it up with a the base 18-55mm kit / a fixed prime lens... once you get to use it. you go deeper into your dslr.sort out what type of photography intrests you more.

potrait/landscape/wildlife/nature/street... give it time and pick a lens suitable for the same..

now when you are picking up a canon besides a fix lens.. if its any lens.. please keep a check that you get a 18-55 IS/55-250 IS... (IS stands for image stabilization ) same as VR in nikon for (vibration reduction). most of the sellers have been notorious in the past for selling non-IS lens in india with the base kit and it will be distratrous if you dont have a IS lens.. hence no image stabilization...

Canon 1100D Digital SLR Camera 18-55mm IS Lens 2YWRTYBL | eBay

1100d for 27,900 with 18-55 IS..

CANON EOS 550D DSLR CAMERA BODY ONLY WITHOUT LENS 4-GB EOS CARRYING CASE | eBay 550d body 30,900

Canon 550D with 18-55mm IS Lens Kit + Manufacturer Warranty | eBay
550d with 18-55 IS.. 33,750..

here you go between 550d and 1100d..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

550s being tad better inspite of being the old model.
you always get the benefit of the bigger sensor and better video.. and yes you stated about the LCD..

1100d 230k (budget lcd) is no match to 1040K of a 550d.

better af and faster speed.. coz inpite of being old and similar priced..

550d was never an entry level dslr..

50mm prime

later you can upgrade the 18-55 (non IS) to some good L lens or 17-50 from Tamron non-OS (preferred). For a 50mm range if you require IS, there is no point in going for a DSLR. Hope you will take it in the right spirit.

sam9s somewhere mentioned that he would wanna take pics of his kid too.. even at 50 mm i guess IS will certainly help and how bout pannning..

who knows .. sam9s might be sitting in the next F1 and posting pics here with his new dslr ?? what say ? he is in delhi...

IS is not going to help here in any way unless the hands are not steady.

true.. but that's the whole purpose of IS. he wont be using a tripod all the time.. so IS will certainly help.. for few shots not necessarily he will be using the viewfinder to be more steady rather use live view.....

and might be dark scenes a lil slow shutter.. IS will be definitely useful and it can definitely turned off if using a tripod.. for few bucks more it can definitely help take better pictures..

18-55 in low light? No way.. Use 50mm prime instead (~f4) and see the difference.18-55 is good only for landscapes provided you are using at f8 which is its sweet spot along with a tripod.

f8 is the sweet spot for many lenses and for telephoto too..

incase if someone gets just the base kit and no prime.. what then ?

yes.. wider aperture.. slower shutter.. bump up ISO and.
WB all that can be done too to get better picture with a 18-55.

unless and until one has the option to select between multiple lenses and have a good ball head tripod...

and most of the lens at telephoto or landscape are the sharpest around f8.. personal exp.. wont say that its a fact.
and one reason for companies to emphasize on IS/VR world wide.. and use diffrent kind of stabilization.

optical/sensor shift..

there should be some use to it.. and every individual is diffrent. Getting steady hands on a camera takes time too.. so he can have better pictures till the time camera grows on him and his hands are rock steady and can live without IS.

i dont get steady hands as well when i go to terrace for a moon shot.. after my few shots.. hehe.. IS helps...:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back