Non Audio DIY suggestion needed.

pdhanwada

Last night somebody switched on the motor which pumps water to the overhead tank and forgot to switch it off. I switched it off early today. All water overflowed from the tank.

I want to connect a timer to the motor switch such that it can get switched off after certain period.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Pandu

A better solution is to use a water level controller, which has sensors and automatically switches the pump on and off, depending on the level of water.

I think you can connect an overflow pipe on the top line of your water tank and direct it straight to ground floor so that whenever the tank fills in, the water comes through the overflow pipe and it will make big noise when it falls into the ground.

Attachments

• untitled copy.jpg
    untitled copy.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 79
WATER LEVEL CONTROLLER MAYBE ONE HARD TO GET AND HARD TO INSTALL THING.
water level indicator can be used in tandem with alarm . motor switches are specifically designed magnetic switches that are designed to protect against accidental switch-on like in eventuality of power cut and are best companion with motors.
if alarm is installed u d still have to switch on/off manually but this is at least easy to install easy on pocket and easy to b found.
by the way u are lucky if ur motor coil isnt burnt.
what city r u from??

Thanks for your replies.

George's idea of water level controller was thought off. If I need to make it I dont have the design. I had done a alarm sounding one long time ago. In addition My water tank sits on the 4 th floor. Its pain doing the wiring.

As my tank sits on the 4th floor, it is not possible to make the water fall directly on to the ground. ruled out.

Best option I feel is Hemanth one. I called those guys. It is Rs 2600. I feel it is little more pricey than I was expecting. May Rs 1500 would have been ok. May be I will go for it. It can have two sets of on and off times.

Set it up. based on the average usage if we set the on and off times it will get switched on and swictched off.

Like it very much.

THanks
Pandu

Thanks for your replies.

George's idea of water level controller was thought off. If I need to make it I dont have the design. I had done a alarm sounding one long time ago. In addition My water tank sits on the 4 th floor. Its pain doing the wiring.

You have ruled out the option of wiring, otherwise a DIY water level controller is pretty easy & cheap to make, using a toilet float ball/valve assembly.

On the rocks,

I get what you are saying. Currently I use the Toilet ball as a floater to tell me how much water is inside the concrete overhead tank. I use two friction less pulleys and weights on both sides of the pulleys. As the water level goes down, the weights which are suspended outside go up and as the water level goes up weights come down. It is working fine for me now.

Can you provide me with the design. I can think about it. As the earlier one is not electrical, no risk of shock. I am worried about electrical shock which is a risk here. We got to be careful here. Let me know what you have. I can think about it.

Thanks
Pandu

Water-pump controller is easy to get. Ours is made by CRI (pump manufacturers), I think V-Guard make one too. Of all the gadgets that I included when renovating this house, this is the most popular [with my wife ;)]. We never have an empty tank, and we never have an overflow, and we never have to think about turning on the pump.

The CRI sensor is non-mechanical (well, I am assuming that the switch inside might be a mercury switch) and simply floats, attached to its own cable. the on/off position is adjusted by sliding a weight on that cable. The connection to the control unit is thin wire, similar to telephone wire. Mains voltage does not (I think --- and hope!) go anywhere near the water tank.

It is possible to get a dual-sensor unit, so that the pump is not switched on if the sump (ground tank) is empty, but, anyway, there is a "dry-run" sensor that is fitted to the input pipe of the overhead tank, and the pump will be cut (and an alarm sounds) if no water is there.

I can add that it also just about the only gadget we have that has worked flawlessly for past three years!

Much to be recommended!

Water-pump controller is easy to get. Ours is made by CRI (pump manufacturers), I think V-Guard make one too. Of all the gadgets that I included when renovating this house, this is the most popular [with my wife ;)]. We never have an empty tank, and we never have an overflow, and we never have to think about turning on the pump.

The CRI sensor is non-mechanical (well, I am assuming that the switch inside might be a mercury switch) and simply floats, attached to its own cable. the on/off position is adjusted by sliding a weight on that cable. The connection to the control unit is thin wire, similar to telephone wire. Mains voltage does not (I think --- and hope!) go anywhere near the water tank.

It is possible to get a dual-sensor unit, so that the pump is not switched on if the sump (ground tank) is empty, but, anyway, there is a "dry-run" sensor that is fitted to the input pipe of the overhead tank, and the pump will be cut (and an alarm sounds) if no water is there.

I can add that it also just about the only gadget we have that has worked flawlessly for past three years!

Much to be recommended!

I like this very much. I knew there were some available. Let me know what the price is.

Thanks
Pandu

That is pretty attractive. Can you give any leads to find out any dealer over in hyd.

May be I will search the web later.

Thanks
Pandu

No, sorry --- nor could I find the item on the current CRI website!

Ours came from a fairly ordinary nearby high-street hardware shop, although I think they had to order it for us.

On the rocks,

I get what you are saying. Currently I use the Toilet ball as a floater to tell me how much water is inside the concrete overhead tank. I use two friction less pulleys and weights on both sides of the pulleys. As the water level goes down, the weights which are suspended outside go up and as the water level goes up weights come down. It is working fine for me now.

Can you provide me with the design. I can think about it. As the earlier one is not electrical, no risk of shock. I am worried about electrical shock which is a risk here. We got to be careful here. Let me know what you have. I can think about it.

Thanks
Pandu
If I am right with the vague picture of your setup that I got from your comments, I can say that you have done major part of the job. To switch off the pump when the tank is full, all you need is a "push to off" switch, which you will get in any electronics parts shop in 5-10 bucks. Then just place the switch, at your desired height, vertically below the weight that goes down when the tank is full.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back