Norge 1000's Modded Avatar Lands!

Looks good,other than that i can't say much about it.
try to get some review online.
I heard a lot off good things about buffalo. This is the best DIY DAC under $ 1K.

i have norge 2060. since i am interested in bi-amping my speakers, what do you think of placing a tripath ta2020 based board (bought from arjen helder - ebay shop) inside the norge 2060 and use second set of speaker out ( speaker-B) for tripath amp output. one of the input (say CD or AUX) can be used as input for tripath amp. can i borrow power from existing 15vdc which presently powers the preamp section. will the transformer in norge 2060 be able to serve this extra amp? tripath amp specs state that it needs atlest 12v at 2A rating.

I don't think it is possible to derive the 0-12 voltage at 2A. I believe the secondary winding for the 15-0-15 supply is less than an ampere. It is supposed to supply the preamplifier section and is based on 7815 7915 regulators which work upto 1A safely. I have used the 0-15 supply to run my preamp and speaker protection since they don't need much current.

I suggest you buy a 2 Amp 9-12 v secondary transformer and construct a 0-12 unregulated supply to run the tripath. If you need a circuit can supply the same. There is lots of space in the 2060 too to fit a smaller 2A toroid, a bridge filter capacitors besides the tripath board.

The main secondary winding has a much higher voltage.

Last edited:
i have a 12v/2A DC supply. if i use this to power up the tripath board independently will it work? should i worry abt any common grounding issues?

The supply will work and I don't believe there would be any grounding issues however do post the pictures or draw a diagram of what you are planning to do as I don't want anything to go up in smoke. We will make sure that everything works fine. My advice is not to let any two grounds to touch each other. The inputs are already insulated from the enclosure. Do what I did for the input.

Remove the auxiliary wires from the inputs so you can use them as input of the tripath and use isolated speaker output binding posts.

Last edited:
Soundnovice, is there any advantage to cramming in the
Tripath board into the Norge 1000?
You are using a separate power supply anyway, so you may as
well put the whole Tripath amp it's own case.

You are saving the money for the dedicated enclosure (good ones cost northwards of 5K) plus you can use the preamplifier of the Norge if you want to.

now actually thinking why not to put the active xover ckt inside of norge 2060 too!
i dont have the boards in hand yet but i am sure they will be small enough to fit inside the box. the preamp output will be given to active xover board. xover will give out Left High, Right High, Left Low, Right Low. Left Low and Right Low will go to norge amp. Left High and Right High will be go to tripath amp. i know all of this requires quite a bit of de-soldering and soldering but will be good solution at the end.
by the way using foobar2000 with dsp xover plugin highs and and lows are separated at xover frequency of 3khz and lows are fed to norge amp and highs fed to tripath amp. the combo is working fine.

I have a good design of a three way phase linear crossover by Elektor Sept 1987 which I want to etch. Only problem is that I don't have a scanner here so will have to click a photograph then make a 100% mirror image. Will try tomorrow.

i am using Rod Elliott's simple xover based on LR4. pretty good no. of recommendations for this design actually.
continuing the mod description: if u see xover ckt ( Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover ) the output buffers have a pot to control the individual line volume. once norge2060 is modified for bi-amping, then bass and treble nobs are of no use as norge amp will be used to drive woofers only. the Left/Right Low-output buffer pot will need to be connected to Bass nob and Left/Right High-output buffer pot will need to be connected to Treble nob. norge preamp will only be used for gain stage and balance control only. i will make a diagram for intended connections and post it.

i have norge 2060. since i am interested in bi-amping my speakers, what do you think of placing a tripath ta2020 based board (bought from arjen helder - ebay shop) inside the norge 2060 and use second set of speaker out ( speaker-B) for tripath amp output. one of the input (say CD or AUX) can be used as input for tripath amp. can i borrow power from existing 15vdc which presently powers the preamp section. will the transformer in norge 2060 be able to serve this extra amp? tripath amp specs state that it needs atlest 12v at 2A rating.

Getting 12V, 2A is difficult from stock PS.

Also we have to respect original designer's thought process. Certain spaces are required to be kept for ventilation and avoid crosstalk/interference. Cramming too many things in cabinet could also create new problem. NORGE amp is discrete analog amplifier while Tripath is digital amplifier. Its not a good match unless due care is taken.

Front knobs changed to all aluminum black knobs.

4e13abd4_4.jpeg

The cabinets were procured from ebay then modded with backlit LED's for volume knobs and drilling for boards, connectors ans tubes with addition of tube protectors and better all aluminum knobs. They do sound great.

The cabinets were procured from ebay then modded with backlit LED's for volume knobs and drilling for boards, connectors ans tubes with addition of tube protectors and better all aluminum knobs. They do sound great.

can you give the ebay links for cabinets? how much it costed you for shipping?

i am thinking of using pc cabinet (small form factor) for housing amplifier. the problem is placing heatsinks. but its a very cost effective solution i think

Yes they come cheap but are made of thin sheet metal. Better is to search for old amplifiers which can be repainted and will have built in heat sinks. Plus you may find some rare/ good components within as a bonus. We don't have such a place here in Chandigarh but bigger cities have places where you could search that stuff.

Back