Norge Amplifier

Don't Norge Amp has fuses in rail? I remember seeing in Norge Amp.
Its different topic how far it serves purpose but its there. Now relay based protection has some peace of mind but not true always, specially for Chinese ones which suffer fused relay contacts and stuck relay. Because when DC flows through speaker, it may weld relay contacts. In some cases faulty implementation or improper copy of original. That's why i designed my own PCBs for protection, either preamplifier or power amplifier. It does not cost more than ?350-400 but you can choose quality parts.
I don't have experience with diyaudiocart speaker protection but will try one day.

Last edited:
Norge amps are being sold for decades without speaker protection. How many Norge users have blown their speakers so far?

The old gentleman fights day in day out with the rising cost of material and labour to keep the cost of products as low as possible, and he doesnt provide remote and speaker protection in the base package thats it.

Who is greedy seller or buyer?

To some extent you are right. Having said that, emotion is an integral part of creation but not for cut-throat business. Today's customers are demanding, not greedy, and emotion has almost no role to play in doing business. :)

I don't have experience with diyaudiocart speaker protection but will try one day.

I think we are going OT.. I have experience with half a dozen local brands of speaker protection modules including the ones in DAC and some of them has been around for a long time now.

I add speaker protection even on bridged TDA2030 amp board just to avoid the thud. Never had a fused relay contacts issue till date. Actually never had a failed speaker protection till date.

Even a 13 year old hexfet audio cassette deck system I assembled was running without any problem (used almost everyday).

In real, the amp is 15 years old as I assembled it back in 2000 but the owner changed his residence 2 years ago and I don't know the current state of the amp..

It seems you never got any failed amplifier which I see almost once in a month. Even my creations failed on me during experiment due to various reasons.
Norge Amplifier are rugged and low biased class AB. They won't fail unless something really bad done to it.

It seems you never got any failed amplifier which I see almost once in a month. Even my creations failed on me during experiment due to various reasons.
Norge Amplifier are rugged and low biased class AB. They won't fail unless something really bad done to it.

I prefer using big heatsink instead of fans (minimizes dust issues). Relays are normally low cost ones like HK, watts electronics mfr, samwha/keltron caps, elcon switches/pots (Philips in the past), mx connectors etc (totally ordinary stuff).

Norge seems to use ordinary stuff too except for a toroidal trafo. It seems they use CKT 5200/1943 in 2060. From one of the photos, volume control is a lin pot than log and tl072 are worth like Rs.15-20. PSU employs a total of 4700mfd 50Vx4 samwha caps which are Rs.35 something.

The diodes are ordinary and seems like 1N5408. Push switches seems ordinary too..I never knew that Norge amps costed around 15k something..I have read good reviews about Norge nationally and internationally and they have been around for a long time and have a V.good reputation. I haven't heard of blown/failed Norge issues either.

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/20340-norge-2060-internals.html

Info on this pair of A1943/C5200 - diyAudio

Image of my ongoing project of LM1875 amp (+/- 18vac trafos and PSU with 22600mfdx2 Keltron caps)..cabinet used will be typical nukkad metal or wood stuff with laser etched acrylic face plate. Tone control is low noise transistor based with alpha log vol pot and dedicated trafo and psu. Speakers are 2 way 8".

Attachments

• Image1325.jpg
    Image1325.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back