Norge Audio speakers as home theater system

gourav

I was looking at Norge Audio speakers and I see they get very good reviews around here. I'm looking to setup a home theater on a tight budget. I just received a response from Norge about their prices and they mostly fit my budget.

However, Norge doesn't manufacture speakers for home theater. So I was thinking of getting Norge MD 75 for fronts and Norge Nano for surrounds. I'm not buying a sub now.

I have two questions:
  1. Is this a good idea to get Norge speakers for home theater?
  2. Since Norge does not make center channel speakers, would this pair well with Taga Azure C-40 or Mission MX-C1 center channel?
I'm considering other options as well, but my immediate question is about this option.

Please share your budget and the price you have received from norge for their speakers, so our experienced FMs can guide you with different options.

Of course Norge speakers and amps are well regarded by people for stereo performance, but haven't heard much in home theater setups. There is thump rule for selecting Front Left, Center and Right channel speakers "should be within the same brand and possibly same series". This is very important to have same tonality from all the front speakers, otherwise it ruin your movie watching experience. This is not same for rear surrounds, there you can use Norge nano speakers without much trouble.

Please share your budget, room size, AVR details etc. so our FMs can guide you better.

There is thump rule for selecting Front Left, Center and Right channel speakers "should be within the same brand and possibly same series".
I was afraid of this. I wish they manufactured center channel speakers as well, then I wouldn't be in this dilemma.

Currently, I have a budget of 60k for the total setup. I'm not fixated on having a complete set right away, and I'm considering multiple options.
I'm getting a Pioneer VSX 330 for 27k. So I'm left with 33k for speakers. In this, I have the following options:

Option 1
Mission M-Cube+SE for 30k - this is my preferred option, but I'm yet to audition this, scheduled for coming Saturday

Option 2
Taga Azure B-40 (18k) + Taga Azure C-40 (10k) and add surround and sub later - I've auditioned this and I liked it

Option 3
Mission LX 2 for ~16k, Mission LX-C for ~12k and add surround and sub later - I'm yet to find a store to audition this and I'm not entirely sure of prices and availability either

Option 4
Telome Audio HT 250a for ~40k - This requires adding 7-8k to my budget, but I'm hearing good things about this set and am willing to shell it out if I like the sound once I'm able to audition this.

Additionally, I have the option of getting a Tannoy HTS 201's center and satellite as open box for 20k and adding it to the Taga Azure B-40. But that both exceeds my budget and breaks the rule of matching Fronts + Center.

There's also a Tannoy HTS 201 5.1 open box set available for 43k. If that is significantly better than these options, I might go for that as well.

I am not an expert myself, but I was once recommended to use 3 same bookshelf speakers for Front, left and right. I see Norge model you mentioned to be less sensitive(82db), that might require more power from the AVR.

Of the option you have suggested Taga, Mission and the Tannoy package also seem to be better choice. I myself am not aware of Telome, so do audition and make your decision :) .

Opion 3 seems a better one to me.. you can even pause buying the center channel now and look for a pre owned subwoofer. This will give you a better 2.1 system. Subwoofer is a must for home theater setups, that will enhance the low frequency hearing experience. You can gradually add center channel and surrounds. For surrounds, you can buy any cheaper speakers like the ones from Micca or even consider a pair of old mini hifi speakers from sony, pioneer etc.

Thanks. I'm hoping I'll get to audition the Mission option as I don't want to buy without audition.

As for sub, the Taga Azure B-40 had decent bass output, so if I go for that, or something similar, I can make do without a sub for now. Since subs are expensive, I'll buy them later. Center channel will help with dialogues in movies, since that is my primary usage.

The LCR must use similar drivers especially the tweeter to maintain the front sound stage. IMO it's not worth trying with some other center speaker. You may look in OLX or other places to find another single similar speaker to use it as Center

Is this a good idea to get Norge speakers for home theater?
Yes you can.
There is no such thing as a home theater dedicated speaker. A speaker designed for stereo applications can be repurposed for home theatre.
Instead of the MD75, get their New Millenium MK II as they will play a little lower (or bass) so you can probably do without a sub woofer for some time. The catch is they are a 4 ohm load and few AV receivers support this load rating so check that before you buy. The Nano's are perfect for Surround.
You can ask Norge to custom build a center channel speaker so them are timbre matched. I am sure they will help you.

You can ask Norge to custom build a center channel speaker so them are timbre matched. I am sure they will help you.
I checked with them about this. They said manufacturing a single piece is difficult as they can't get one piece of the enclosure from their supplier.

I'll probably just go for a demo anyway, since it's close to Telome and I'm going there anyway. but I'm thinking of giving it a miss. Hope they start manufacturing centre channel speakers as well in future

Home theater isn't their (Norge) core business so its unlikely that they will manufacture a dedicated center channel speaker. What you can try is a single MD75 or a Nano as a center channel. I don't know if they sell them in singles but its worth asking. Its not the ideal configuration.

I am sure you can do some mix n match. No harm in trying. Ask Telome if they can loan you their demo center channel or just listen to it at their demo room.

Listen to Norge and Telome, as you have easy access to them and then take a call.

I was looking at Norge Audio speakers and I see they get very good reviews around here. I'm looking to setup a home theater on a tight budget. I just received a response from Norge about their prices and they mostly fit my budget.

However, Norge doesn't manufacture speakers for home theater. So I was thinking of getting Norge MD 75 for fronts and Norge Nano for surrounds. I'm not buying a sub now.

I have two questions:
  1. Is this a good idea to get Norge speakers for home theater?
  2. Since Norge does not make center channel speakers, would this pair well with Taga Azure C-40 or Mission MX-C1 center channel?
I'm considering other options as well, but my immediate question is about this option.
Last week I auditioned Norge Speakers in Mumbai. Good experience. The Indian hifi audio makers arent dead, but struggling hard. Mr Bajaj was working in Norway 50 years before and later started his own manufacturing in India. Now his daughter is patronizing the business. I tried the Floor Standing 2 way. Remember its the budget speakers we are hearing. The best part of the audition was the room where I tried. The room is exactly how a common small listening room would be in a middle class family. That's one thing touched me. Because fancy listening room isn't possible in city condos for me. I played few blues music of BB King and Muddy Waters, hotel california, Sarod by Ashish Khan. Hospitality was fantastic. I would request you to carry your own CD. They cant play from bluetooth or HDD. The system is problem free from maintenance point of view. Indian humidity, saline air isnt going to be an issue. Spares are available and they can dispatch you if required ever. Quality of Sound - good mid range. Higher frequency I felt a weakness. deep bass little less, but i wasnt looking for that and always can add a sub woofer. Any one planning to buy the first one in below 75K range then must go for the Amp and Speakers. Look wise its very good - simple. any more feedback if you need on music then please drop a message.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back