Novice needs help!

Aloysius Sunil

Dear All,

Have read tons of material without managing to arrive on a solid choice on what to buy. Here are my requirements:

Room: 20'x9' with minimal furniture and a glassed window on either side where the AV console is setup
AVR: Need Help
Speakers: Need Help
Cabling: Need Help
Budget: 40K
Usage: TV/Movies:Music is 60:40
Limitation: Don't have room for giant speakers/subs - have to hang them to the wall/console.

I auditioned a Yamaha HT system and an Onkyo HT system. The experience with Yamaha was very good!

I am based out of Bangalore. Please advice

Thanks,
Sunil

Sunil

To get some constructive suggestions people will need to know your budget-are you looking at 40K for speakers and amp? If so then best to go for HtiB.
My advice would be to audition some systems yourself and see what you like( and what you dont like) rather than purely asking for suggestions

Yamaha is know for their clarity in sound output and as ur budget is 40k Yamaha yht 299 is best for the movie experience , try to audition all htib in this price range so u can get a better idea according ur needs

Sunil

To get some constructive suggestions people will need to know your budget-are you looking at 40K for speakers and amp? If so then best to go for HtiB.
My advice would be to audition some systems yourself and see what you like( and what you dont like) rather than purely asking for suggestions

My apologies.. I am new to this so was unaware of what needs to be correctly specified.. The budget includes the AVR and speakers.. HTiB sounds good.. I auditioned an Onkyo and A Yamaha (forgot the model nos.) @ Croma retail and was pretty impressed with the Yamaha.. Also someone informed me that a Yamaha YHT?299 is good.. May i request you to throw some light on the tech specs? Thanks!

Yamaha is know for their clarity in sound output and as ur budget is 40k Yamaha yht 299 is best for the movie experience , try to audition all htib in this price range so u can get a better idea according ur needs

Thank you! you are the second person suggesting this yamaha!

Hi Aloysius Sunil,

GM and welcome to our forum.
I have another suggestion. There is a Marantz for sale in our forum for about Rs 20,000, a real steal if you ask me.

Buy that and you will still have about Rs 20,000 for a decent bunch of stand mounters (bookshelves) and you are on your way to build a killer system.

Far better than the Yamaha or Onkyo if you ask me. Just keep an open mind and take a call. And Bangalore to Tamil Nadu is not very far off for the dedicated HTphile :), I should know, I used to live in Bangalore.

Vinod

Last edited:
Hi Aloysius Sunil,

GM and welcome to our forum.
I have another suggestion. There is a Marantz for sale in our forum for about Rs 20,000, a real steal if you ask me.

Buy that and you will still have about Rs 20,000 for a decent bunch of stand mounters (bookshelves) and you are on your way to build a killer system.

Far better than the Yamaha or Onkyo if you ask me. Just keep an open mind and take a call. And Bangalore to Tamil Nadu is not very far off for the dedicated HTphile :), I should know, I used to live in Bangalore.

Vinod

Thank you Vinod! I guess I have to think abt it a bit.. can u pls share the details of the Marantz or the link in the forum?

if your budget is 40k for both amp and speaker, imo you should for for a stereo set up. you will get much better sound quality. you can check out the wharfedale diamond speakers. the bose 301's is also a well rounded speaker at the price. if you get the usher s520 in your budget thats a really good bet. for the first two, they pair well with yamaha amps (stereo - as 300). not really sure about the usher but you can do some research

Last edited:
[
the AV console is setup
AVR: Need Help
Speakers: Need Help
Cabling: Need Help
Budget: 40K
Usage: TV/Movies:Music is 60:40
[/QUOTE]

Dear,

whatever receiver you choose....choose Subwoofer & center speaker carefully.rest of the speaker you wont find any difference in same price range..
the difference you could identify(in hearing) in expensive HTs and cheap Hts in Subwoofer and center speaker..so do mix and match for sub and center..and AVR doesn't matter..No one could Identify the difference if same speakers are used for the different AVrs in same price range..
For music you need 2 channel that means two front speakers should be good..you can go for book shelf..since you already has subewoofer you dont need floorstanders..
cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back