Novice scouting market for HT

mechophile

Experts/Gurus,

I'm building a new home which is in the finishing stages. I need your inputs on buying a HT. This is my first experience in buying HOME audio. Here are a few details/questions

Living room, space not shared but has open kitchen + dining . size of living room is about 20x20. Pictures are attached.

Projector was initially not planned but got added at later stages making the plan look a bit quirky. Btw, I bought tw6600 and liberty (indian make, not grandview) motorised screen.

My listening is mostly blues,reggae,bollywood,classical rock and regional.In short, pretty much everything except hip hop/trance/house

5.1/2 simply because i dont have wires run for 7.1.

Acoustically, the area is pretty poor as it has large area open to it. and the roof is ( floor to false cieling ) is 12 ft. there is large ventilator at the roof which can be seen in the pics. have used decent quality wiring. TV-music usage will be 70:30

Budget - 1 - 1.5L inc reciever.

Upon casual browsing/research/reviews and talking to a few, Diamond 230 FS,220 centre and surrounds from the same series looked good for me. I did go thru hifimart deals as well.

Questions

Given the drawbacks, does it make sense to invest in above average/mid level Music system . I am looking at cost to benefit ratio. Will i able to reap in what it has to offer.

Alternatively please suggest some set ups. I'm OK with buying in pieces or picking up everything at once. I love good speakers. SQ is my priority.

Someone is flying from US. I have reserved 5 kilos of baggage. Please suggest me a good AVR which is compatible with the rest of the components

Cheers
vijay

Attachments

• HT1.jpg
    HT1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 73
  • HT2.jpg
    HT2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 73
  • HT3.jpg
    HT3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 73
Hi

Congrats on the HT room being setup....there are a lot of systems out there which you honestly need to audition for yourself as you are the end user....take your time....shortlist the models or brands which appeal to you in budget, performance etc......check with multiple dealers as there is stiff competition and you can get things cheaper.....

There are pre owned products in the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads.....all the best....

If possible, separate the audio cable conduits from power cable conduits.
Mind you, any foreign products will not have Indian warranty of 1 year. If you are okay with the risk, go for it.
Please buy step up transformer locally to handle 110-220v conversion.

Thank you for your replies guys. I'm aware of the warranty issues. However my question has not got answered yet.

Given the drawbacks, does it make sense to invest in above average/mid level Music system . I am looking at cost to benefit ratio. Will i able to reap in what it has to offer.

Hi

If you are looking at a cost benefit ratio and are not too sure....go in for a mid level system...you can also look at pre own if you dont want to spend much....later you can sell it off and upgrade...thats what most of us members do.....

Thank you for your replies guys. I'm aware of the warranty issues. However my question has not got answered yet.

If you are not in a hurry or want to buy as budget becomes available, then concentrate on speakers first:
L/R or L/C/R with or without sub driven by an entry/mid level AVR. Then the surrounds.
Large open area may not be a drawback per se. It is enclosed spaces which pose the greatest challenges to speaker placement.
In my experience, I have found that the AVR is a fantastic unit for movies but for serious music listening, I have never been able to tame it.
But, as my wife puts it, I am a luddite when it comes to new technology.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you are not in a hurry or want to buy as budget becomes available, then concentrate on speakers first:
L/R or L/C/R with or without sub driven by an entry/mid level AVR. Then the surrounds.
Large open area may not be a drawback per se. It is enclosed spaces which pose the greatest challenges to speaker placement.
In my experience, I have found that the AVR is a fantastic unit for movies but for serious music listening, I have never been able to tame it.
But, as my wife puts it, I am a luddite when it comes to new technology.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi raghu, thank you for the reply. I will be going front speakers heavy with the money i'm going to plonk. If the large open area doesn't pose an issue i dont mind upping the ante a bit. Nevertheless here is what i;m looking at

diamond 230 FS , 220 C , 10 dfs . all from wharfadele. I might add sub at later stage. suggest me a suitable receiver. I haven't auditioned them yet. but going through reviews and my budget , i made the impressions.

However, im going to audition them before i buy. I would like suggestions at other alternatives to audition as well. please keep them coming. my budget is 1- 1.5 including avr and sub.

5K wont get you an AVR... AVR's are typically > 10Kgs & above, so if you can accomodate that well & good as the AVR prices are cheap in US than the rest of the world...

IMO, a Mid range AVR paired with a entry level speaker will give you better performance than the vice versa...

Since your music usage will be less, you may consider BS/ Satellites in place of FS, make it 5.2 with 2 subwoofers...

I think you should plan for 9.2.. Either 5.2.4 (or) 7.2.2 with such a big layout, it should sound fabulous...

When you say above average AVR, i hope you mean advanced auto calibration... If yes consider AVR with Audyssey Mutli EQ XT32 auto calibration, have used it for a good time (or) equivalent like MCACC Pro from Pioneer (haven't heard them)...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back