Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

IME, all speakers interact with the room, unless set up correctly. I had the B&W 801 Matrix speakers too. Set up correctly, nothing to beat the bass of B&W 801. Which is why I guess a few Pink Floyd albums have been mastered on B&W.

For coherency and tonality nothing to touch a single driver.

For transparency an electrostatic.

For microdynamics and presence a horn.

Any speaker you would categorize/ recommend for imaging?

Hari, it does look like one “Heck” of a driver though I do not fully understand all the plots.

Your adventure is urging me to try some 8” FRD I am sitting with including the Calrads, Betsy and the Alnico Matsushita 8PW1.

Since you already have the drivers with you, you will need not more than 5 minutes to measure the TSP for this drivers. After that with Basta simulator you can discover if they are suitable for an OB.

What do you use to measure TSP and to take response plots ?

You can measure the TSP using REW. You just require a impedance jig to connect the input & output to the laptop headphone & mic (stereo) (good quality RC connectors with low noise cables), one precision 0.1% film type resistor (100 ohms, 1 watt), one precision ohm meter to measure the VC DC resistance, a known weight (added mass) to add to the speaker cone (near to the published driver cone moving mass + 10%) (you may require a precision digital balance to measure this known weight).

For taking a response plot you just require a USB mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 microphone which comes along with a mini stand.

I think your driver best mates to OB. Share some pictures of your OBs if it’s alright. Thanks.

Yes the published parameters were around 10% away from my measured parameter, but again it was meant for an OB loading. I have shared the OB image in my previous post. Hope they are visible.

Hari, copy this link and paste on chrome. Translate it in English and what do you think about this driver ? It has even a lighter cone at just 8 grams. I hope to fire this one very soon.

http://www.roktal.com/unit/20pw09.html
I reviewed this, unfortunately enough data is not available for this driver to try a simulation, may be you can ask them if possible. Unless you simulate and are satisfied with the result, i will say dont go for it.

Single drivers IME image a bit better than multiways primarily because of phase and time coherency.
Sorry for drifting from the subject of the thread, but Prem can you help me understand/ define imaging. For me it means how realsitic the instrument/vocals sounds.

Any speaker you would categorize/ recommend for imaging?

In my current OB setup, to get the best dynamics, i have tried a golden ratio type of placement. The placement ratio between the front and the rear wall is 1:1.6 (68:110 inches). The distance between the driver center is also 68". The driver is 29' from the floor and the distance of the driver from the side wall is 24". This gave me the perfect low end lift and a razor sharp center image at all seating positions with a wide sweet spot.

Heliumflight, I look at imaging as placement of vocals and instruments in the soundstage.

Many look at imaging as how well the vocals are centred and do they have a flesh and blood feel to it

Hari, I used Dats V2:

Matsushita Alnico 8" 8PW1 Re 7.7 Fs 84 hz Vas 1.12 SPL 94 1w/1m Qts 0.94 Qes 1.1.5 Qms 5 Mms 9.75
Calrad Ferrite 8" Re 7.6 Fs 45 hz Vas 3.115 SPL 92.6 1w/1m Qts 0.56 Qes 0.688 Qms 3 Mms 12.3
Betsy Ferrite 8" Re 6.17 Fs 51 hz Vas 3.23 SPL 93 1w/1m Qts 0.80 Qes 0.95 Qms 5.39 Mms 9.146

Will start learning to use Umik 1 I have.
Have you simulated with the above parametrs? Do you need assistance? Pls advise.

Hari, I will simulate them but I guess you can better interpret it. So when you find time to do so, please let me know your opinion of each of these in OB. Thanks.

My baffle dimensions are 30” x 50”
Ok, without simulation, I can say go for the Qts nearing 1.0, Vas nearing 90Liter, and FS nearing 40Hz, MMS nearing 10 GM's, BL nearing 4 Telsa. Cone compliance should be high nearing 1.5mm/N, Qms should be nearing 10 and Qes around 1.15. A very low stifness for cone is crucial. These are the high level qualities you should be looking for if you look forward for a single driver OB.

Also Le should be around 0.1 mH @ 1KHz

Last edited:
According to J. Gordon Holt's audio glossary, "imaging is the measure of a system's ability to float stable and specific phantom images, reproducing the original sizes and locations of the instruments across the soundstage."

Here are some images to feast the eyes. Could not wait till the weekend for the outcome and hence did the cardboard trick to check out what the fuss is all about this driver and OB. Was blown away by the dynamics of this broad band. Nothing even come close to compare - well atleast known to me. Its even without following the Basta dimension an placing them on the cardboard. I will stop commenting further and will like other FMs to listen and then comment about them.
Hi, Hari! I am glad to see such USSR speakers in your DIY project!) I'm sure that you will achieve the right sound in near future. Also I have to say that during long time I tested a lot of different soviet speakers and in my opinion such full-range drivers are one of the best in the ratio of price to quality!
With best regards from Ukraine - Oleg S.

Hi, Hari! I am glad to see such USSR speakers in your DIY project!) I'm sure that you will achieve the right sound in near future. Also I have to say that during long time I tested a lot of different soviet speakers and in my opinion such full-range drivers are one of the best in the ratio of price to quality!
With best regards from Ukraine - Oleg S.
Thanks Oleg for reviewing the post and writing a few words. I want many of our forum members to recognise the potential of this simple FR driver and discover how great they can sound.

FMs who want to know more and want to purchase this broad bander can directly contact Oleg. He is the supplier for them.

I have selected rosewood veneer for the final OB and finish will be Matte. Will add spikes and a golden binding post for that pro look. Also will finally substitute the stock wire with a 20swg, stranded silver coated teflon wire. Looking for golden banana clips for speaker wires but not able to find locally.

The Saba green duo of tweeter and midrange are great but the Isophon/Telefunken oval and a 4” Telefunken tweeter is the best combo experimented extensively by a friend in HK.

His 5 way OB inspired from Lampizator included one Altec lower bass driver and the Tesla bass duo drivers, all passive setup, driven by 6c33c tube amp. A double crown TDA1541 DAC in the line up.
Then nothing can beat this Russian driver, I would say as it gives great performance in a single driver operation mode.

Hari, I have heard the Saba on a couple of occasions. All I can say is it’s extremely musical. Tone and timbre is outstanding. I attach more importance to these things rather than how low does a driver go.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back