Nvidia Shield VS Minix Vs Mac mini

Rajeshh

Hello all, this is my humble attempt at a mini review of sorts of these media players/HTPCs, which I've used extensively.

I live in Singapore and travel quite a bit, i was using a cable connection on contract for a couple of years, after a while i figured out that i was hardly watching TV and the money spent every month on the cable was a literal waste.
When the contract ran out, I decided to do away with it completely and go all in the media player route, subscribing to content via Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hotstar.
Of course the ubiquity of torrents, popcorn time & youtube for music videos & the availability of a 1 Gbps line for cheap helped the cause.

The set up:
I have a Samsung series 8, 65'' TV hooked up to the media player/HTPC, while the TV is a smart TV and can play media, i just don't us that at all, because of the usability which is a real pain.

WhatsApp Image 2017-05-23 at 9.37.55 AM.jpg

I was using the WD media box between 2010-2012, great box which can play almost all file formats, works very well if you have downloaded a file from a computer and want to play it, but for other tasks not quite up to the mark.
I should say that, at its time it was the best option around.

I was using the MiniX android box from 2014-2016, a mac mini from mid 2016 - now, experimented with the Nvidia Shield in April this year.

MiniX

HDMI from device to TV & Optical audio out to my Kef LS50

Pros
- The best usability among all 3, all you need is a bluetooth mouse.
- Runs Android mobile OS, which for me is way better than the Android TV OS, Apple TV OS, and may be unto par with running a full fledged Mac.
- Has apps for almost everything - Netflix, Hot-star, Popcorn time, uTorrents, brilliant Youtube experience.
- Kodi media player for downloaded content is brilliant, both Movies, TV shows & HQ music. Kodi works the best on the minix box & deserves a special mention.
- Airplay, Spotify, Tidal etc., apps are available

Cons
- The worst video quality among all three.
- Audio quality is probably on par with the shield, or so i think. Certainly not as good as a Mac mini.
- Android mobile OS gets clogged up and slows down, needs frequent clean up and possibly a upgrade to the latest box every 1.5 years.

Nvidea Shield

HDMI from device to TV & USB audio out to my Kef LS50
Shield has no Optical audio out.

Pros
-The best video quality I've experienced so far, the blacks are blacker than every before and the dynamic range is brilliant. Even Youtube videos look like HD movies.
-Voice search is a revelation. For Youtube all you have to do is speak into the remote and its super accurate, even for indian content.
- Certain apps like torrents, chrome, popcorn time can be side loaded quite easily.

Cons
- The UI, its not for me, not as flexible as either the MiniX or the Mac.
- Some side loaded Apps like Hotstar does not work properly.
- Sound quality is not the best you can get.
- Android TV OS, its just not there yet, but then neither is Apple TV OS.

Mac Mini.

HDMI from device to TV & USB audio out to my Kef LS50

Pros
- Does everything you could possibly want
- Audio quality is the best of all other devices (I haven't used a MS HTPC, so won't be commenting on that)

Cons
- If you sit far from the TV, the UI might be a problem, you can resize the icons & text, but still not on par with the Minix box's UI
- People don't make apps for OSX :( . You have to use the browser for Netflix, Amazon prime, Hotstar, Youtube.
- Side note : of the lot i miss the youtube app the most.
- Video quality is easily better than the miniX box, but still not quite on par with the Nvidia shield which can do 4k & high refresh rates.

So i ended up opting to use the Mac mini in the end, but then that is my personal preference, i have a friend who prefers the Nvidia Shield instead.
I do hope that you have found this post useful :)

For those of us in India, I feel Amazon firestick is doing its job pretty well. The smart TV in the living room has the apps as well. On a side note, I am thinking of hooking up a WD My Cloud 3 TB at home and then just use Plex to stream via DLNA. Plex app is there for LG WebOS and Firestick. I am seeing a decoupled future, storage on the cloud or personal cloud and devices like Tablets able to perform huge tasks like edit 4K video. Take the new iPad pro 10.5 inch for example !

Indy70, you are bang-on on the personal cloud & Plex part, i was using Kodi extensively on the MiniX box (i still think that for the miniX box, Kodi is better than Plex, provided you skin it right and fine-tune it), but after moving to the Mac mini I've switched over to Plex, its browser based, but works like charm.

I am planning a NAS soon, for Movies and music, as a sort of a personal cloud.

I have heard about the LG's WebOS being very good, and i haven't tried the fire stick yet.

I've a NVIDIA Shield, but IMHO a NAS is a must these days. The end of days for Kodi, Android TV, etc. and other such boxes is near... and in terms of PQ and SQ they have always sucked.

Plex is the easiest, just install on the NAS and has an app for every device - smartphones, tablets, Chromecast, Roku, etc. Though I'm a Prime customer have never gotten the Fire Stick or TV... probably should.

TChen, agreed on the NAS part, if only i could afford a SSD based NAS :)
Separately, i think there is new version of Android TV OS for Shield being prepped for launch by end of 2017, which should extend the voice search to all apps, not just Youtube as it today, that should make it an even better value proposition.

On Kodi, i would'nt write it off, Plex and Kodi are based on the same code and Kodi does have its merits, but yes if you want a plug and play method and transcode to play on all devices, can't beat Plex.

I have a Apple TV, Rpi 3 running Kodi, Mini8s Android TV...
Still unhappy with the results, all have their own compelling merits but compelling weaknesses as well.
Rpi 3 - No Netflix or AP video
Apple TV - no local files can be played,
Android TV - All options available but slow UI, poor quality overall...[emoji23]
Xbox 360 - no AP video, Plex is good though
LG bdp - no AP video or Video from LAN

Planning to get a Nvidia Shield pro from USA in next month... Or should I get Mac mini instead??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Kodi, i would'nt write it off, Plex and Kodi are based on the same code and Kodi does have its merits

You are probably right... but the real fun with Kodi has been all the add-ons and the live sports matches. Can't imagine Kodi without any of that stuff.

Still unhappy with the results, all have their own compelling merits but compelling weaknesses as well.
Android TV - All options available but slow UI, poor quality overall...[emoji23]

Planning to get a Nvidia Shield pro from USA in next month... Or should I get Mac mini instead??

What's your primary goal? Or you feel that is lacking?

For PQ, well none of your h/w is beefy enough to cut it.

For streaming services why bother with the likes of Pi? I'm a Pi lover myself and have 2 of them... but for streaming get Chromecast and Roku and be done with it. Costs $35, plays a ton of channels and works right out of the box without any setting up trouble.

Apple will lock you down for everything.

To play local content get a NAS. Or convert any old PC into a NAS with the likes of Samba file sharing. In this regard Plex is the best.

Android TV - Never on my list... for the simple fact they can (at least the cheap Chinese ones) never play the likes of Netflix in FHD or 4K.

Similar limitations for the rest like XBox and BDPs.

I've the Shield and love it. PQ is awesome, and specs are beefy and will play anything... but some DIY effort will be needed to get the best from it. I'd highly recommend it.

The MacMini can't do 4k, the Shield does.

For best picture quality, id suggest go with the Shield.
For the best UI & flexibility go with the MiniX Neo U1 (its quite fast), you can google it.

For a mix of both the Mac mini.

there is no perfect box out there yet.

What's your primary goal? Or you feel that is lacking?

For PQ, well none of your h/w is beefy enough to cut it.

For streaming services why bother with the likes of Pi? I'm a Pi lover myself and have 2 of them... but for streaming get Chromecast and Roku and be done with it. Costs $35, plays a ton of channels and works right out of the box without any setting up trouble.

Apple will lock you down for everything.

To play local content get a NAS. Or convert any old PC into a NAS with the likes of Samba file sharing. In this regard Plex is the best.

Android TV - Never on my list... for the simple fact they can (at least the cheap Chinese ones) never play the likes of Netflix in FHD or 4K.

Similar limitations for the rest like XBox and BDPs.

I've the Shield and love it. PQ is awesome, and specs are beefy and will play anything... but some DIY effort will be needed to get the best from it. I'd highly recommend it.

I need device which should be able to pick up the video files from my 2 tb HDD on my network router and play flawlessly apart from playing local files, Netflix, AP video, YouTube etc. Apple music streaming will be good but I can keep Apple TV for the same purpose. I'll sell most of the other stuff and declutter my setup.

The PQ of Android TV (which ticks most of my requirements) is quite deplorable, AP video doesn't come in 5.1 audio output. I have a i7 PC placed near my sitting position connected to my AVR as well, via long hdmi cable which does most of the duties reasonably well as of now but I'd be happy to have a less power hungry solution with Remote. Nvidia shield probably has the power and performance I'm looking for.

I need device which should be able to pick up the video files from my 2 tb HDD on my network router and play flawlessly apart ........

Try MrMc App in Apple TV. this is a fork of Kodi. It can map the network drives and play the files

I need device which should be able to pick up the video files from my 2 tb HDD on my network router and play flawlessly apart from playing local files, Netflix, AP video, YouTube etc. Apple music streaming will be good but I can keep Apple TV for the same purpose. I'll sell most of the other stuff and declutter my setup.

The PQ of Android TV (which ticks most of my requirements) is quite deplorable, AP video doesn't come in 5.1 audio output. I have a i7 PC placed near my sitting position connected to my AVR as well, via long hdmi cable which does most of the duties reasonably well as of now but I'd be happy to have a less power hungry solution with Remote. Nvidia shield probably has the power and performance I'm looking for.

I am in the same boat myself .. I need something that can play BD rips, stream APV & Netflix with 5.1 HD Audio bitstreamed to my AV Receiver . I just cant think of a decent cheap solution that will satisfy my needs !

Just have few options currently- get a newer Blu Ray player, Nvidia Shield or a NUC - all are quite expensive for what I want to achieve.

Any suggestions , guys? Have the option to get it from USA ..

I'd run a Plex server for the local content.

Chromecast for all Google services.

Fire TV for Amazon Prime Video.

Roku for lots more streaming content.

Plex will run on all (I don't have Fire TV, but it should I'm guessing).

NVIDIA Shield is more for 4K content and gaming... most folks would not need it.

In your case use the i7 for Plex (only if you want to transcode on the fly), otherwise any PC or laptop with medium specs will do. For the space/style conscious an Intel NUC, or Mac Mini. Or you can get a NAS and run both the files and Plex on it.

In my case I run Plex Media Server on 2 NAS boxes.

There really is no single solution for all... Google and Amazon and Apple don't even play well together.

Thankfully the PQ and SQ on devices like Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV, etc. is excellent and they don't cost too much. Between them they will cover 99% of all online content, both free and paid.

Plex or Kodi will work for local content, I prefer Plex, better apps across all devices and also easy to setup and run even for beginners.

Nvidia shield has an option to output PCM to 5.1 in the sound settings (seen it, but not used it, because i only run a 2.1 channel setup) and it can run Plex, which should serve your network requirements.
TChen is right, Plex is plug & play and really easy to use.

It has native Amazon prime & Netflix apps & the youtube app is brilliant.

It also comes built in with Kodi, which can be configured to accept Airplay.
Just make sure you can play around with it before you buy, to ensure that you can live with its UI. UI is completely different from the typical android boxes in the market.

But if you are a heavy Apple user, keep the Apple TV as well.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat myself .. I need something that can play BD rips, stream APV & Netflix with 5.1 HD Audio bitstreamed to my AV Receiver . I just cant think of a decent cheap solution that will satisfy my needs !

Just have few options currently- get a newer Blu Ray player, Nvidia Shield or a NUC - all are quite expensive for what I want to achieve.

Any suggestions , guys? Have the option to get it from USA ..

If you can live with some trade-offs, id suggest a Android Box, MiniX U1 is the one I've used, retails for around 160 SGD in Singapore, other versions go lower or higher depends on spec. You can check their site, its a HK based manufacturer.

There are many such boxes & manufacturers in the market.

It will not do 5.1 for Netflix or Amazon Prime, 5.1 can be done for downloaded content like BD rips via Kodi.

Nvidia shield has an option to output PCM to 5.1 in the sound settings (seen it, but not used it, because i only run a 2.1 channel setup) and it can run Plex, which should serve your network requirements.
TChen is right, Plex is plug & play and really easy to use.

It has native Amazon prime & Netflix apps & the youtube app is brilliant.

It also comes built in with Kodi, which can be configured to accept Airplay.
Just make sure you can play around with it before you buy, to ensure that you can live with its UI. UI is completely different from the typical android boxes in the market.

But if you are a heavy Apple user, keep the Apple TV as well.

I'll be keeping the Apple TV because its a 3rd gen with optical out capabilities, that'll be used for Apple music via Gungnir DAC which has very good SQ akin to CD quality.

Points about nvidia shield are quite appreciated, thanks for sharing. I'd be able to run it if its fast enough, I hate a slow gui and poor PQ of Android TV otherwise. Nvidia shield probably would be a good bet for my requirements, unfortunately I don't have a option to check it prior so I'd be buying it and let's see.

I'd run a Plex server for the local content.

Chromecast for all Google services.

Fire TV for Amazon Prime Video.

Roku for lots more streaming content.

Plex will run on all (I don't have Fire TV, but it should I'm guessing).

NVIDIA Shield is more for 4K content and gaming... most folks would not need it.

In your case use the i7 for Plex (only if you want to transcode on the fly), otherwise any PC or laptop with medium specs will do. For the space/style conscious an Intel NUC, or Mac Mini. Or you can get a NAS and run both the files and Plex on it.

In my case I run Plex Media Server on 2 NAS boxes.

There really is no single solution for all... Google and Amazon and Apple don't even play well together.

Thankfully the PQ and SQ on devices like Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV, etc. is excellent and they don't cost too much. Between them they will cover 99% of all online content, both free and paid.

Plex or Kodi will work for local content, I prefer Plex, better apps across all devices and also easy to setup and run even for beginners.

My Plex server is also on my i7 PC, I found the Plex updating library bit slow and frustrating at times on Xbox. I didn't try Plex on Rpi 3 or Android TV anyway. I would not be using the Android TV anyways. My HDD is connected to the USB port of wifi router and I'm accessing files from it. Don't intend to buy a dedicated Nas box currently. I should instead think of installing Plex server on Rpi 3 and connect the 2 tb USB HDD to it and stream from it instead of i7 PC as Plex server. Keeping the powerful i7 PC on for media server purposes seems a bit illogical. The media server functions on both netgear and Tplink routers is quite buggy and slow in spite of wired LAN.

I have used Chromecast 1 but it was only 720p capable. Additional sticks would further complicate the problem IMHO. I'm mainly looking for AIO solution for my video Media needs. Intel Nuc is one more option I need to explore, but lack of a media remote on Mac mini and Nuc will be discouraging for me. Also I have a PC catering to exactly same functions positioned near to sitting position so investing in Nuc etc is bit unattractive.

Buying a separate Nas box which can download as well in power efficient fashion is a third option if Plex on Rpi 3 or Nvidia shield don't satisfy my requirements...

I have been using Intel NUC 5i7RYH for my movies and 5PGYH (this comes with built in TOSLINK output) for Audio. Both work like a charm. Buy a Windows remote it works excellent.

Note all NUCs come with infrared capabilities, Bluetooth and WiFi.

Recently upgraded to NUC 6i7KYK which has a superior video processing. VQ is amazing.

My Plex server is also on my i7 PC, I found the Plex updating library bit slow and frustrating at times on Xbox. I didn't try Plex on Rpi 3 or Android TV anyway. I would not be using the Android TV anyways. My HDD is connected to the USB port of wifi router and I'm accessing files from it. Don't intend to buy a dedicated Nas box currently. I should instead think of installing Plex server on Rpi 3 and connect the 2 tb USB HDD to it and stream from it instead of i7 PC as Plex server. Keeping the powerful i7 PC on for media server purposes seems a bit illogical. The media server functions on both netgear and Tplink routers is quite buggy and slow in spite of wired LAN.

I have used Chromecast 1 but it was only 720p capable. Additional sticks would further complicate the problem IMHO. I'm mainly looking for AIO solution for my video Media needs. Intel Nuc is one more option I need to explore, but lack of a media remote on Mac mini and Nuc will be discouraging for me. Also I have a PC catering to exactly same functions positioned near to sitting position so investing in Nuc etc is bit unattractive.

Buying a separate Nas box which can download as well in power efficient fashion is a third option if Plex on Rpi 3 or Nvidia shield don't satisfy my requirements...

Plex won't run very well on a Pi. Won't say it needs an i7 but it certainly needs decent h/w.

HDD to the USB port of a router will be really slow... unless its USB 3.0. Router media server/file sharing capability will also be slow... most are USB 2.0 and lack any processor power... typically use a Pi type of chip in them.

Rule out Pi and Router... though you can run a decent NAS (Samba) file server on a Pi. Video streaming will not have any issues on a Pi.

Chromecast is 1080P and now 4K too. Install apps and cast from them. 720P is what you get when you cast from Chrome browser. These HDMI sticks are what offer a ton of content and with excellent PQ. I've been using Chromecast and Roku for a long time... never faced any issues.

Buying a NAS like Synology is a good option, but again the entry ones are good only for file sharing. Don't expect to run Plex on them. For Plex you need decent h/w. Or simply run a Samba share and used a media player or HTPC connected to the TV or AVR for playback. Not my recommended choice as most Android TV boxes lack or don't run Netflix in FHD. That's where Chromecast and Roku (and maybe Fire TV) come in. They offer much better PQ and also a bouquet of services that no single device offers.

I have been using Intel NUC 5i7RYH for my movies and 5PGYH (this comes with built in TOSLINK output) for Audio. Both work like a charm. Buy a Windows remote it works excellent.

Note all NUCs come with infrared capabilities, Bluetooth and WiFi.

Recently upgraded to NUC 6i7KYK which has a superior video processing. VQ is amazing.

Bala, The NUC is one option i haven't yet explored for Video, i assume the 6i7KYK, can do HDR & 4k playback?

For me the most important is the usability, the draw backs of the Mac is that
1. if you sit far back from the TV, its hard to read what you type (Youtube/Netflix/AP/browser search etc.,)
2. You need a wireless keyboard & a mouse, while mouse is handy and easy to use, reaching out for the wireless keyboard is a pain.

This is the main advantage of the MiniX/Andriod box - Everything is big & legible on screen. It does not matter if you sit far.
Also, there is no need for a physical keyboard, i just use the mouse, and to type, an large onscreen keyboard opens up.

In this context, i know that the NUC runs windows 10, which has a tablet mode, I'm curious about how this works.
1.Does it allow you to do away with a wireless keyboard?
2.Does a onscreen keyboard appear when you need to type?

On a different note, I understand why you have different NUC for music & video, i too have the same approach, i have a ELAC Discovery Music Server running Roon for music.
Have you explored using Roon? it is one SW that i can't live without for music & highly recommend.

And they have a step by step guide to setup Linux on a NUC to make it what is called a Roon Optimised Core kit.
Another alternative is to get a dedicated device like the Sonic transporter and run Roon on it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back