Nvidia Shield

Audio passthrough is fantastic in Shield....Plex,Kodi,VLC etc

Just keep in mind Dolby Vision may not be supported.

I find PQ better with Sony BDP x700 than Shield TV.......only x700 sucks at decoding TrueHd in mkvs (audio not supported).

I empathise with OP as he has the same reason for which I also own a Shield

4k and dolby vision is not why i am getting nvidia. I dont even have a 4k tv

No issue. Your avr should have the capability btw.

I have used Kodi, VLC etc....and have found no issues. (Kodi you have to tick the settings for 5.1 to 7.1 outputs)

I am repeating myself : Shield only have the shortcomings of PQ.......compared to Sony BDP x700.
Ok thanks. But other then comparing it with x700 the nvidia shield does provide good pq right? It’s been a week since it came from us lol m so lazy to go and collect it from my friends house

I find the PQ better in x700....better upscaling and colorspace.

But doesn't mean that Shield is bad.
I got it yesterday.Video and audio quality equal to my sony blu ray player. User experience is much better then the blu ray player as its butter smooth and fast. Also plays atmos content in mkv format which was the main reason for me to get the shield. I haven't installed anything other then kodi. Any simple tips with settings and other apps to be installed will be helpful

I only change some of the settings for audio. You need to change to 'Expert' mode to access the specific settings in Kodi.

Enjoy your shield.

I cant have a wired connection for internet if in case i get shield. Also i tried using plex app on amazon fire stick and tried uploading a heavy 30gb mkv file but it showed an error. Will nvidea suffer from same issues? Or i can just plug my hard disk with nvidea and play mkv files (dts hd ma) straighaway.

I cant have a wired connection for internet if in case i get shield. Also i tried using plex app on amazon fire stick and tried uploading a heavy 30gb mkv file but it showed an error. Will nvidea suffer from same issues? Or i can just plug my hard disk with nvidea and play mkv files (dts hd ma) straighaway.
Fire stick can’t bitstream. Nvidia is a better streaming device. Shield will play dts HD contents from hard disk or even stream using plex.

Fire stick can’t bitstream. Nvidia is a better streaming device. Shield will play dts HD contents from hard disk or even stream using plex.
Can we directly play mkv thru hard disk? Without using kodi? I guess plex doesnt support mkv.
Also glad to know that nvidea can bitstream. I found this to be a great downside on firestick.

Can we directly play mkv thru hard disk? Without using kodi? I guess plex doesnt support mkv.
Also glad to know that nvidea can bitstream. I found this to be a great downside on firestick.
You need a player to play video contents in nvidia shield. I tried mkv nd vlc and feel kodi is the best. And also you can stream directly from pc using plex and it supports mkv

You need a player to play video contents in nvidia shield. I tried mkv nd vlc and feel kodi is the best. And also you can stream directly from pc using plex and it supports mkv
Thanks navin
Since u had fire stick, can u let me know whether you found any difference in SQ between the same content. Like between netflix on firestick and netflix on shield. I find my firestick sq to be really not comparable to what i get when i bitstream YouTube from my smart tv. Firestick is loud no doubt but is quite muddy.

Thanks navin
Since u had fire stick, can u let me know whether you found any difference in SQ between the same content. Like between netflix on firestick and netflix on shield. I find my firestick sq to be really not comparable to what i get when i bitstream YouTube from my smart tv. Firestick is loud no doubt but is quite muddy.
Yeah that is why I sold the fire stick. You can’t say it’s bad but comparing to a Blu-ray nd Shield it falls short. Firestick is not the product for pple like us. A good Blu Ray player nd shield will do the job for us

Hi All

I have few audio issues with shield. While playing Dolby Atmos content on some scenes either the surround or the height channels loose Audio for a second so it feels like the movie has been paused nd played. Just to verify if it’s the content problem I played the same Scene in my Blu Ray player and those scenes work without loss of audio so no issue with content. I tried kodi, mkv nd vlc player and all seems to have this problem.

Hi All

I have few audio issues with shield. While playing Dolby Atmos content on some scenes either the surround or the height channels loose Audio for a second so it feels like the movie has been paused nd played. Just to verify if it’s the content problem I played the same Scene in my Blu Ray player and those scenes work without loss of audio so no issue with content. I tried kodi, mkv nd vlc player and all seems to have this problem.
I think it could be some network issue. I have been using both, each one have it's own characteristics. Sony bdp (X700) plays video/music directly, where as Shield play through some layer (DLNA app) like Plex, kodi, vlc etc.. on Android OS.

I think it could be some network issue. I have been using both, each one have it's own characteristics. Sony bdp (X700) plays video/music directly, where as Shield play through some layer (DLNA app) like Plex, kodi, vlc etc.. on Android OS.
I am using usb HD so cant be network issue. The only reason I got shield was to play Atmos rips in mkv format as my Blu Ray player doesn’t support them. So if this problem persists no point in having the shield

I am using usb HD so cant be network issue. The only reason I got shield was to play Atmos rips in mkv format as my Blu Ray player doesn’t support them. So if this problem persists no point in having the shield
I see, I thought source is from network streaming. Please try with other other app like Plex etc..

No issue. Your avr should have the capability btw.

I have used Kodi, VLC etc....and have found no issues. (Kodi you have to tick the settings for 5.1 to 7.1 outputs)

I am repeating myself : Shield only have the shortcomings of PQ.......compared to Sony BDP x700.
Brother, This will be useful info for me. In my android TV long back I installed Kodi but not using because it was giving audio out in stereo. I continue using the inbuilt player. Have you used Kodi on your FireTV?

Sorry to be just off topic here - has the new Shield storage been reduced to 16 GB from the 500 GB? Or is there any other model with increased internal storage? More than the measly 16 gigs.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back