Octroi @ Mumbai, Maharashtra.

vyerth

Friends,

Any Mumbaite here, who ordered anything from abroad via BHPhotovideo or borderlinx or Shopyourworld.

I want to know if you paid, what was given fiixed/approx. landprice in Mumbai / Maharashtra? or had to pay 5% more after paying customs.

Would it make any sense if I get the delivery in some other city where there is no octroi for eg. Delhi.

Thanks for your time.

regards,
K

Likely Not A Good Way To Save Octri

I think it is not wise to get delivery in another city to just save octri, to get the item back here will involve courier charges and the risk of lost, damaged, etc.

However i think if address is given of new mumbai, there could be scope of no octri. Hemant, can comment on this as he stays in new mumbai.

V.

Yeas ,at least earlier it was the case .
I used to take delivery of friends Dell Laptops is used to be 2-3 k lower in New Mumbai.
It was 2 years back,Can anyone enlighten latest rules ,especially about international shipments?

Customs duty is charged on the sum of actual invoiced price, plus cost of insurance and freight.

Octroi is charged at 5.5% in Mumbai on sum of invoiced price, plus cost of insurance and freight, plus Customs duty.

AFAIK, Navi Mumbai and Thane have no octroi. This is the reason why so many companies including Mumbai-based car dealers have warehouses in Bhiwandi or Panvel belt.
Joshua

Thanks guys.

I called Shopyourworld and asked, for their delivery in Mumbai, if there is any octroi to be paid apart from what they list, their answer is no. How come they manage to do away with it, or they charge extra on the product to begin with cos the customs they charge is 28% only.

I called UPS today and clarified if there is octroi outside Mumbai to which they replied that there is no octroi beyond Mulund naka or dahisar naka.

On my curiosity if I myself pick the delivery from airport which is consigned for navimumbai, the octroi 5.5% will be charged.

Although 5.5% doesn't appear to be a lot but on the whole the amount is going steep.

I have asked SYW to match the quotation I have from BHP lets see if they can do it. Or else I will have to find an address to deliver in Navi Mumbai or Thane.

Thanks for your inputs and time.
Cheers!

You have made a very interesting question. Though I am not sure if I have the answer..

Only yesterday I have received my LG blu-ray player BD530 in Mumbai, directly from Amazon USA:
I had paid Amazon as the following breakup:
Item(s) Subtotal: $69.99
Shipping & Handling: $27.93
-----
Total Before Tax: $97.92
Sales Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $30.43
-----
Total for This Shipment: $128.35

So I did not have to pay any money on delivery. And the only payment copy I have received is of Brihanmumbai Mahanagar Palika signed by the Octroi Inspector (NIPT/SAHAR). The octroi ws charged at 5.5% on Rs. 23148.00. .i.e. Rs. 1273.00

Hope this provides at least some insight..

Friends,

Any Mumbaite here, who ordered anything from abroad via BHPhotovideo or borderlinx or Shopyourworld.

I want to know if you paid, what was given fiixed/approx. landprice in Mumbai / Maharashtra? or had to pay 5% more after paying customs.

Would it make any sense if I get the delivery in some other city where there is no octroi for eg. Delhi.

Thanks for your time.

regards,
K

Hi,

I am a thanaikar, and live in the "Octroi Zone". in no case have I had an octroi reciept submitted to me.

Amazon- only cd/BDs/books
Amazon standard--I have ordered directly from amazon normal shipping (which comes via post office) - in some cases paid duty against a custom slip (no hard and fast rule- paid duty on lower value consignments and not paid on higher value consignment)

Amazon priority (comes by courier) - paid duty in every case - but no reciept given (octroi may have been added)

vpost (amazon shipment) - duty paid at chennai - no octroi paid

borderlinx- (electronics) - seems to add octroi to the duty calculation coz it;s higher than santhol2 paid for the same shipment (umc-1) - again - recieved door delviery without the need to make an extra payment.

I guess that with borderlinx, it may make sense to redirect to a non octroi location if - the value of shipment is high and it's not heavy and you can wait the few extra days that would be required for someone to bring it to mumbai.

I for example could never imagine shipping my UPA power amp to any place other than home coz it weighs so much.

kapvin

-----
Total for This Shipment: $128.35

So I did not have to pay any money on delivery. And the only payment copy I have received is of Brihanmumbai Mahanagar Palika signed by the Octroi Inspector (NIPT/SAHAR). The octroi ws charged at 5.5% on Rs. 23148.00. .i.e. Rs. 1273.00

Hope this provides at least some insight..

Hi Reju,

As far as I gather from your post is that you got the receipt of Rs. 1273/- along with your shipment but you didn't pay anything that you had already paid for i.e. USD 128.35. Wonder if 128.35 which is shipping fees had in the cost included customs - 28% + octroi - 5.5%.

Thanks.

Hi Reju,

As far as I gather from your post is that you got the receipt of Rs. 1273/- along with your shipment but you didn't pay anything that you had already paid for i.e. USD 128.35.
Thanks.

Correct!

Hi Reju,
Wonder if 128.35 which is shipping fees had in the cost included customs - 28% + octroi - 5.5%.

Thanks.

Look carefully 128.35 is total for this shipment (not shipping fees)

Correct!

Look carefully 128.35 is total for this shipment (not shipping fees)

Have you bought directly through amazon or used borderlinx,shopyourworld etc.?

NMD. I read your post again and found its directly from amazon. Thanks

Last edited:
How To Save Cost

Well i think there is no question that SYW, is getting away with the octroi, they will pay the same, which is collected from us in their fixed price delivery at home.

Indeed you are having problems with the customs duty and octroi, in such a case it may be better for you to buy from grey market.

About SYW to match quotation with their rival, please be guided that their role is limited in this, you can always source a foreign online store seller, check their price and tell SYW to source from them. In-fact with my projector this is how i have done, santosh gave me the store details from whom he bought his projector, and i ordered accordingly.

V.

Thanks guys.

I called Shopyourworld and asked, for their delivery in Mumbai, if there is any octroi to be paid apart from what they list, their answer is no. How come they manage to do away with it, or they charge extra on the product to begin with cos the customs they charge is 28% only.

Although 5.5% doesn't appear to be a lot but on the whole the amount is going steep.

I have asked SYW to match the quotation I have from BHP lets see if they can do it.

Last edited:
Friends,
NON OCTROI ZONE around Mumbai is NAVI MUMBAI and BHIWANDI.
I confirmed from FED EX and UPS today. Sooner whole Mumbai will be octroi free but who knows when this will happen.

Haven't heard from SYW, although I gave them the dealer and their quote. If you buy more than 2 products from SYW, they still charge you same amount of shipping and handling for each product. That is where they make easy money and difference could be of about 100-200 USD.

I am going with BH Photovideo. But the process will happen only on Monday now. They have promised in taking care of the projector with minor issues in India or else would help sending it off to USA if anything major happens. One sided shipping will be on the buyer. Which seems fair enough. Hope this works.

Cheers!

Suspense

Well if one or more items are bought from the same foreign store then they should surely not charge separately for shipping and handling, this is quit un-fair, so they are working harder to fire a bullet on their own leg. They could be making more easier money also because they are charging us the customs duty and octri but are not going to give us a receipt to effect, they maybe are digging their own grave and ours too?

Since you are planning to order only a projector from BH, then why not from SYW etc? About the promises, well everyone is going to promise the moon, how many will deliver is any one's guess.

I think there can be no reason for projector going back to USA that too after arriving on our soil. About the fears that if something happens here, what can happen? Please relax there is nothing to worry and from where does the question of shipping cost arise? Please consider not to order now, till you have a clear picture about what you are getting into.

V.

Last edited:
>>>

I want information on octroi to be paid when a shipment is brought from Karnataka (Bangalore) to Bombay. Although this is imported, it has been imported by the dealer. Now it is simply a matter of shipping the equipment from Bangalore to Bombay. Any inputs/latest news on octroi charges guys?

Regards
issigonis

As already pointed out, there seems to be no octroi charged for stuff got into navi mumbai. though i have not ordered/imported any expensive electronics, just BDs, I never paid any.

heard news that octroi will be removed soon, but they are going to introduce something called LPT (Local, P-dunno, Tax) which will be 2% flat as against octroi charged at different rates depending on the goods. Don't know how the mechanism will work, wait and watch.

Customs duty is charged on the sum of actual invoiced price, plus cost of insurance and freight.

Octroi is charged at 5.5% in Mumbai on sum of invoiced price, plus cost of insurance and freight, plus Customs duty.

AFAIK, Navi Mumbai and Thane have no octroi. This is the reason why so many companies including Mumbai-based car dealers have warehouses in Bhiwandi or Panvel belt.
Joshua

Thane city limits is under octroi zone. Its only extended Thane ware-houses like Bhiwandi which is octroi free zone.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back