Odyssey Stratos

The dynaudio sound with the dynaudio woofers and the esotar tweeter sounds very different from the usher. What one likes depends on what they are looking for.

I listened to the Luito floor stander from Sonus faber on saturday. What can I say ? I found the speaker to sound fabulously "musical" ! Enough to make one shut up and just listen to music. It is a sure cure for "audiophilia" for most people. Will everyone like this speaker ? I am not sure ! Hence there is no point in arguing. For some it is theil and bryston combo while for some others it is a proac and some tube amp ! I have realized that for most music lovers, it is a matter of what combination sounds good with the music that they listen to most of the time. I am sure a lot of loudspeakers out there are designed this way too.

Measurements will not tell you how a loudspeaker will sound. It just give you an insight into its behavior in the anechoic room which is a good thing of course.It helps as a good reference point to start from. Cabinet construction, driver material/technology, crossover components, time and phase alignment aspects, the designer's "vision" about the sound etc...will all finally affect the sound. As long it satisfies someone, it is good enough.

Last edited:
Manav U are happy, Thats that.

If I may I would like to suggest u hear the 4BSST on those speakers. More relaxed, powerful yet accurate & detailed. Effortlessly musical.
The Accuphase /Thiel is even more relaxed and hence I opted for it. Got the speaker at home (Dark Cherry).
See for 10 years I have been hearing junk about the Brystons but I was happy and so will u. Good power amps and one that can drive anything with ease.
In fact I would like to add here that the B&W 805s too sounded their best with the 4B. Its a pleasantly coloured speaker that can get tooo warm with lots of gear but sounded nice with the Bryston. I never liked them with the Classe and rather preferred the no frills Arcam gear.
Best sound I heard in ages is the Accuphase Pre/ Power with the Thiel CS 3.7 but I cant afford those amps and I cant position that speaker:mad: So hoping that the next best option i.e Accu E 450 + Thiel CS 2.4 works for me.
Rgds

So you got yourself a Thiel CS 2.4 :clapping:

Congratulations !

Manav U are happy, Thats that.

If I may I would like to suggest u hear the 4BSST on those speakers. More relaxed, powerful yet accurate & detailed. Effortlessly musical.
The Accuphase /Thiel is even more relaxed and hence I opted for it. Got the speaker at home (Dark Cherry).
See for 10 years I have been hearing junk about the Brystons but I was happy and so will u. Good power amps and one that can drive anything with ease.
In fact I would like to add here that the B&W 805s too sounded their best with the 4B. Its a pleasantly coloured speaker that can get tooo warm with lots of gear but sounded nice with the Bryston. I never liked them with the Classe and rather preferred the no frills Arcam gear.
Best sound I heard in ages is the Accuphase Pre/ Power with the Thiel CS 3.7 but I cant afford those amps and I cant position that speaker:mad: So hoping that the next best option i.e Accu E 450 + Thiel CS 2.4 works for me.
Rgds

You bought it already? Congo Bro!
And yup, i wanna try the Bryston 4 BSST with it or an older KRELL FPB 200 or 300. I believe those are killer amps with the Thiels.
And yea Sidvee, overall the 718's are quite killer when paired with the right gear.

Thanks SW yes I have them and a pretty long assosiation with the B&W brand ends. Ironically a very close friend got into B&W today (CM 9) !!!! I offered him my speaker at less than what I got but he was stuck on NEW & Floor Stander so thats that. IMO u cant even compare the CM 9 with the 805s for stereo.

Manav I know u are loving the Bryston /Thiel combo and IMO 4BSST will be the best amp for that kind of sound. Krell Hmmmmm I dont like most krell that I have heard though I have heard very few of late.
Are u planning to get the optional 'outriggers'?
Am gradually breaking them in. Frankly I am from the school that believes a natural break in is preferable over a forced break in and am in no hurry so am playing it at moderate volumes and getting used to a three way design after quite a while.
Are u happy with the VDH THE SECOND as ur IC for the combo? Funnily I sold two VDH in the last week so I am reasonably light as far as inventory goes:D
Rgds

@dinyaar.

The Theils are one of the best implemented time and phase coherent loudspeakers out there. Have fun breaking them in.

Please check your PM.

Thanks SW.
Yes I have replied to the PM.

Apart from the fact that I like the Thiels they were the easiest to manage in a 16 X 14 room. By manage I meant the bass overhang which I felt in many of the FS I tried. I would like to get by with minimal treatment and that too was a consideration in choosing an FS.

The Accu outputs 180 W @ 8 ohms and 280 W @ 4 ohms so that is not a worry. Accuphase are also a bit conservative in the power ratings and are more real world. The lowish damping factor also IMO is not an issue.
Finally hearing is believing and that settled it. I prefer the 3.7 but I cant manage to get the best out of it in my room.
If u ask me the best speaker I heard recently then its the Avalon Indra, next best Avalon Ascendant then the Thiel 3.7 and then my 2.4. But buying the best speaker would not give me the best sound as my room has its limitations and the budget was not that elastic!!!

Rgds

Last edited:
Have any of you listened to the CS 1.6 model ?

How do they sound compared to the bigger brothers ? where are the compromises apart from the bass response ? How are they priced in india ?

Have any of you listened to the CS 1.6 model ?

How do they sound compared to the bigger brothers ? where are the compromises apart from the bass response ? How are they priced in india ?

Hi again SW.
No have not heard the 1.6 but only read about the pros/cons in reviews. Thiels are distributed by The Audio People, chennai and I have never seen a pair at the bbay dealers.

Price should be about 1.6L and maybe a bit more for the premium veneers.
Important thing to keep in mind with the 1.6 is that it is tricky to position as its bass response is wierd. U have have to really move them around to be able to get a sweet balance (Rear & Side walls) The plus is an easier load at about 90 db if I am correct. Listening distance of 8 ft minimum is common for all thiel which is important to keep in mind.

U know what we read earlier about Dyna and Thiels being 'tough loads' always power hungry is a bit over the top IMO. Current offerings from both these Cos are easier to drive. There was a lovely interview with Jim Thiel wherein he explained the reason they stick to the 4 ohm impedance, passive radiators, Coaxial drivers etc etc. Today guys are actually using thiels with tubes!!!! and with good results supposedly.

Are u looking at the 1.6 Square wave?
Rgds

Thanks Dinyaar for the comments on the 1.6.

I have never heard theils hence fishing for information since the 1.6 is more reasonably priced.
I am looking for new speakers since my acoustic portrait pair is gone. The only time and phase coherent speakers I have heard are Green mountain audio EOS and Callistos. I like them although I'd prefer speakers with a slightly more bottom end attack. Hence the hunt is on :)

I really love the new MTM loudspeaker (scanspeak based) developed by Acoustic portrait but they seem a bit big for my room.

Keeping my options open.

Congrats Dinyaar!!!
Thiels look stunning. I am sure you will find the change from bookshelf to floorstander to your liking. I always advocate for floorstanders provided the room can handle it.
Enjoy your gear !!
Regards
Vasu

Congrats Dinyaar!!!
Thiels look stunning. I am sure you will find the change from bookshelf to floorstander to your liking. I always advocate for floorstanders provided the room can handle it.
Enjoy your gear !!
Regards
Vasu

Thank you Vasu.
Yes they look nice. I got the Dark Cherry and the combo of the cherry veneer and the black grill looks nice. Very nice speaker binding posts and reasonably inert cabinet.
Room is average. Size is 16 X 14 and thiel advised this speaker out of the three FS available. It does not boom, though any speaker in this room has a marginal bass overhang:mad: which I will solve soon enough. The B&W 805s sounded 'heavier' than this FS.
Superb soundstage
Rgds

Thank you Vasu.
Yes they look nice. I got the Dark Cherry and the combo of the cherry veneer and the black grill looks nice. Very nice speaker binding posts and reasonably inert cabinet.
Room is average. Size is 16 X 14 and thiel advised this speaker out of the three FS available. It does not boom, though any speaker in this room has a marginal bass overhang:mad: which I will solve soon enough. The B&W 805s sounded 'heavier' than this FS.
Superb soundstage
Rgds

Get couple of bass traps and you are done:)
Asit da was very impressed with your setup. When in Bombay, i hope you don't mind me dropping at your place to listen to your setup with prior appointment of course :)
Regards

Congratulations Dinyaar!

I am actually very surprised that you decided to give up on the B&W's considering how much you love them. Anyway you got what you liked and that is for the best.

Sure Vasu U are most welcome.
Yes I am planning on a few traps and hopefully be done with it. Just doing a bit of reading on that subject to get it right.

Bala I still like those B&W 805s and will always say that they are very good at what they do. I got a great price when I bought them and a very fair price when I sold them so am happy. I guess the great reviews from What Hi Fi helped:D
When I first heard the Thiel CS 3.7 I thought somewhere down the line I had to have that speaker. That was a while ago but that was always there somewhere, in some compartment of the brain. Then after I got the Accuphase amp I wanted to buy the Avalon Ascendant. Both these are very different to the BS that I had and many times the price too.
Luckily for me both the above were just too overbearing for my room and that meant I fixed a home audition of the 2.4 almost reluctantly. I liked what I heard and thats that.
Bala any predictions for the Ind/Aus game coming up tom? I am going with Aus though we are playing well too. Needless to say this excites me more than the IPL even though the format is the same.
Rgds

Hey Dinyaar - someday I hope to get to hear your gear!

I think Australia would be favourites. I think a lot would depend on India's bowling. Australia bat damn deep. Yesterday Steven Smith absolutely shocked me - playing the way he did at No.8! And after that they have Ryan Harris! India does not have that kind of depth.

I think it will also depend greatly on where we play. If Australia gets a slow turner, then India has the advantage. I somehow feel that Australia will win. I also find it worrying that Michael Clarke is due an innings after having failed twice. Yes, this is better than the IPL for sure. For starters nobody is crowing about 'Primo-Supermo' or that it 'cannot get bigger than this' for every match. :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back