'Old is Gold'- B&W DM 4

yes Sir, remember the DM4 & the Spendor BC1 were practically identical in most respects using similar drive units. It is to be noted that the Celestion HF-1300 Tweeter had a natural top end roll-off starting around 14kHz. My hunch is that the Coles 4001 Super-Tweeter comes in about an Octave below this point (i.e. 7kHz) to extend the DM4's top-end all the way and the Coles stays alive right up to 25kHz easily keeping in mind it can work up to 35kHz. After all, its a Super Tweeter. See this Link:
Drive Units

I can understand the hyper extened highs.

But 30hz at -/+ 2db lows ?? We are talking almost fullrange extension here.

Hi Sumant,discussed your spkr repair issue with Viren this evening & told him abt the availability of a working pair of the drivers originally used by B&W.
He agreed that this was a golden oppy you shld'nt miss, else , he said, the only option would be to look for some chinese dome drivers of similar specs.

Hi Sumant,discussed your spkr repair issue with Viren this evening & told him abt the availability of a working pair of the drivers originally used by B&W.
He agreed that this was a golden oppy you shld'nt miss, else , he said, the only option would be to look for some chinese dome drivers of similar specs.

I did send a query on the ebay listing about shipping to India, still waiting for their reply.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

I used to be worried before but after the 2A3's.....;)

(even with one super tweeter not working)

I used to be worried before but after the 2A3's.....;)

(even with one super tweeter not working)

Hi Helium
agreed with the 2A3 you dont find anything missing in the sound but doesn't it create an imbalance with the super tweeter working only on one speaker?

Heliumfilght,
Have you thought about shipping to a friend/relative in U.K? This way you can still bid for it, only you will have to wait for them to ship it again or hand carry it.

Alternatively, you could use a service like Borderlinx. Read about it here:
http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/7437-citibank-cards-new-facility.html

Borderlinx gives you one US address and one UK Address just for situation like yours:). I bought a pair of di-pole speakers recently and it has reached my US Address without any issues. They will ship it to India within 5 days after I instruct them. Give it a try. Rates seem reasonable.

Hi Helium
agreed with the 2A3 you dont find anything missing in the sound but doesn't it create an imbalance with the super tweeter working only on one speaker?

Yes I have to strain a little bit to listen to what word is being sung other than that it iwill simply involve you involuntary into the world of music.

I honestly mean it!;)

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Yes I have to strain a little bit to listen to what word is being sung other than that it iwill simply involve you involuntary into the world of music.

I honestly mean it!;)

@Heliumflight: The Ebay listing still has 1.5 days to go, please don't miss it. This chap ships worldwide, maybe ask him to pack it well with bubblewrap, should reach you safe.

Some good news. I contacted fellow member Teky who is in U.K and he was more than willing to jump in to help get this rare Vintage beauty back to its original glory. I will be bidding for it and (if I win), I will be getting it shipped to Teky's address.

Now Heliumflight needs to tell me what the maximum bid should be. Audio_Engr may be able to guide him.

Another nine hours to go, reply to my post fast.

Some good news. I contacted fellow member Teky who is in U.K and he was more than willing to jump in to help get this rare Vintage beauty back to its original glory. I will be bidding for it and (if I win), I will be getting it shipped to Teky's address.

Now Heliumflight needs to tell me what the maximum bid should be. Audio_Engr may be able to guide him.

Another nine hours to go, reply to my post fast.

This is what I have always said and I reiterate it again that "audiophiles are always willing to help by going that extra mile"

Bid to Win!

@ santhol2 :

with just abt 6 hrs to close, its still at GBP 12.50. (If we Win) is not the point here, rather YOU MUST WIN or else the whole exercise is wasted.

I'd still maintain hit GBP 20 TWO HRS before closure. (The Seller is a smart-ass who's also selling the crossover boards at GBP 40 so he knows how much he should get for these hard-to-get Tweeters). I am afraid if he doesn't get his price near closure, he'll bid himself via family/friends to secure the item back to him. eBay operates this way! Helium_flight can give up a few GBP to SECURE the badly needed tweeters. Moreover, he saves on shipping as Teky is in the UK.

Thank you for pushing me to get these Tweeters. :clapping:

helium i am waiting with bated breath i do hope you win the tweeters. with audio_engr's sound advice (pun totally unintended :p) you stand a good chance. dont bid cheap even though the current price is low. even 20 pounds comes to a mere 1400 rupees! unbelievable for such a rare item! :)

however i'd suggest upping the max bid amount from 20 pounds. from the current 12.50 pounds to 20 isnt such a great stretch especially in the last few frenzied literally second on rare items. i'd suggest deciding how much you want to go max and put that as your max bid amount. surely you can bid more than 1400 rupees for something that going by what everyone is saying, you might not get again! your max bid also tends to smoke out other auto max bids that are lying dormant and which will kick in only if you happen cross em. eg someone else's max bid or max limit rather might be 25 pounds which might kick in only in the last minute and till then the price might still be 18 pounds and you'll be sitting pretty thinking wow i'm top bidder. i've seen it on auctions many a time on tubes just to see how these things run up.

even 6k indian bucks or around 85 pounds seems ok to me. though to be honest my max bid would be 100 pounds just to be safe.

all the best!

regards

hey helium : we are watching the developments on eBay!
If required, will bid too.

You need those tweeters to save that DM4 (period)! I spoke to B&W UK on another account yesterday & they categorically mentioned they've nothing on the DM4 when I asked them. And yes, they did use the Coles 4001 & that schematic was an error!! Its a 3-way alright, Bass/Mid, Tweeter upto 13k & then Super-tweeter. Should sit on 18" stands as per them.

Noooo, plz don't bid as you will increase the stake this way; Teky will do on my behalf as informed to me by Santosh. BTW I have never met either of them but I have to admit that HFV has now started to make a difference in my life:)

You really instigated me to restore my DM4 so I have shaken myself and taken the plunge (though I have a very busy schedule this month) :signthankspin:

helium i am waiting with bated breath i do hope you win the tweeters. with audio_engr's sound advice (pun totally unintended :p) you stand a good chance. dont bid cheap even though the current price is low. even 20 pounds comes to a mere 1400 rupees! unbelievable for such a rare item! :)

however i'd suggest upping the max bid amount from 20 pounds. from the current 12.50 pounds to 20 isnt such a great stretch especially in the last few frenzied literally second on rare items. i'd suggest deciding how much you want to go max and put that as your max bid amount. surely you can bid more than 1400 rupees for something that going by what everyone is saying, you might not get again! your max bid also tends to smoke out other auto max bids that are lying dormant and which will kick in only if you happen cross em. eg someone else's max bid or max limit rather might be 25 pounds which might kick in only in the last minute and till then the price might still be 18 pounds and you'll be sitting pretty thinking wow i'm top bidder. i've seen it on auctions many a time on tubes just to see how these things run up.

even 6k indian bucks or around 85 pounds seems ok to me. though to be honest my max bid would be 100 pounds just to be safe.

all the best!

regards

Thanks for the guidelines for winning the ebay bidding process.

I have left the bidding at the discretion of Teky/ Santosh to 'smoke em out':p

I can feel the excitment even though I sitting in the other part of the hemisphere

For the benefit of HFV members a snap shot of actual bidding process

eBay UK Item Bid History

I think Teky's Bid is in at 13.09. 2 guys are closely on it though.....

Just about 1 hr to go

u***g( 869) 13.09 11-Feb-10 19:27:20 GMT
7***o( 10) 12.59 10-Feb-10 06:04:29 GMT
a***t( 2 ) 12.00 11-Feb-10 08:38:09 GMT
a***t( 2 ) 11.00 07-Feb-10 11:47:30 GMT
7***o( 10) 10.59 06-Feb-10 02:04:53 GMT
w***e( 164) 10.00 05-Feb-10 00:27:34 GMT
Starting Price 9.95

I can feel the excitment even though I sitting in the other part of the hemisphere

For the benefit of HFV members a snap shot of actual bidding process

eBay UK Item Bid History

I think Teky's Bid is in at 13.09. 2 guys are closely on it though.....

Just about 1 hr to go

u***g( 869) 13.09 11-Feb-10 19:27:20 GMT
7***o( 10) 12.59 10-Feb-10 06:04:29 GMT
a***t( 2 ) 12.00 11-Feb-10 08:38:09 GMT
a***t( 2 ) 11.00 07-Feb-10 11:47:30 GMT
7***o( 10) 10.59 06-Feb-10 02:04:53 GMT
w***e( 164) 10.00 05-Feb-10 00:27:34 GMT
Starting Price 9.95

I haven't placed a bid yet, I'm not giving them enough attraction yet to increase the prices suddenly. This is mine and Santhosh's strategy. I will place a bid shortly.

I hope this is fine Strategy Heliumflight & audio_engr?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back