'Old is Gold'- B&W DM 4

They are here finally, Couple of Pic's. Now it needs to take it's 5000 mile Journey..

ImageShack(TM) slideshow
First part of the journey is completed. Knowing Suresh, the second part will also be completed safely:). BTW, the seller knows his components well and has cocooned it well in bubble-wrap.

:clapping: :clapping:
Only possible with your & Santhosh's profound help in this matter!

Helium (unfortunately away now till early March) will be mighty pleased to see them. Yes - they have to cross continents! But that shouldn't be such a problem.
It is your "This is your last chance!!!" that really motivated all of us. Thanks for your guidance Sir:). Also, Suresh and I were on phone when he received the parcel yesterday. I told him not to touch the front part of the tweeters. I was just following the instructions from my B&W's manual. I was wondering why B&W says this "Treat you B&W loudspeakers like any other furniture, clean it with a soft cloth.....take care not to touch the tweeter". These are not exact words, but it is something in these lines. Why should we not touch a tweeter? Is it the same with all tweeters or just mine?

Hmm. We just bought a part of that speakers (two tweeters) for 60 GBP. Anyway, I offered INR 15k including delivery.

Hope the seller responds in affirmative:licklips:
@captrajesh: the seller may not reply as it may be against ebay's policy to bypass them. Contact him to re-list it as "Buy-it-now" at a price that he is expecting and buy it if it suits you.

All the best captrajesh!! Wish you join the club of Vintage B&W owners.

BTW, audio_engr, do I qualify with my 610s? In automobiles, there is classification vintage, classic etc. Is there something similar for audio equipment?

@captrajesh: the seller may not reply as it may be against ebay's policy to bypass them. Contact him to re-list it as "Buy-it-now" at a price that he is expecting and buy it if it suits you.
I found his email address & sent him a direct mail. Lets see.

All the best captrajesh!! Wish you join the club of Vintage B&W owners.

Thank you Santosh. Let us hope so.:D

Teky, a request( most prob not needed); plz ensure that the tweeters are shipped to Helium in a well padded wooden box- our transporters will make mincemeat of the carton in which the seller shipped them.

Kamal ji,

These will be hand delivered through one of my friends to India. So hopefully we have nothing to worry about.

@ Santhol2 :

Tweeters are very delicate thin membranes hence must never touch it.

DM-610 unfortunately doesn't fall in the "Vintage" classification and is not a "Classic" too. I'm afraid Santhosh you'll have to step up a bit more to get in either one of those lists. And believe me, the older B&Ws will 'beat the new ones' of today in overall satisfaction and fulfillment.

So, Santhosh which model do we hunt for you now? Don't worry, you'll find a buyer tomorrow for your DM610 so they'll go.
Thanks audio_engr. If my DM610s sound so nice, I am very confident about what you all say and will plan to upgrade. Can I also invite myself to check out your B&Ws when I am in that part of the country sometime later this year. Now, I have one more reason to come there. I have been planning to meet the legendary Jeeper Uday Bhan Singh.

I found his email address & sent him a direct mail. Lets see.

Thank you Santosh. Let us hope so.:D
Thats great captain, let us wait for the results.

:licklips:. I am nowhere close to affording these though:eek:

:clapping:Thanks to Teky and Srinisundar, the supertweeters are here:clapping:.

Srinisundar collected it yesterday from Teky's friend/colleague who carried it from UK.

@Heliumflight: Send your shipping address to Srini or myself, so it can be couriered.

Sorry for the delay in providing my mailing address. I have sent an sms to Santosh.

I'm indebited to Santosh, Teky and Srinisundar for their efforts taken to bring back a smile on my face:licklips:

Thank you very much to all other HFV members for their encouragement and support.

@Heliumflight: Srini has shipped your tweeters. They should reach you in a day or two:)

I received the super tweeters today but don't won't to say thank you as words sometimes may not be able convey everything.

Virenji will come on Mon to solder the joints and then I'll try to notice if there is significant difference in the sound.

Till then eagerly waiting...

CORRECTION OF DATA

There seems to some ERRORS regarding the Frequency Response of the DM-4. The Owners' Manual states differently here, that appears more believable (attached as Images below).

dm42.th.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Frequency Response is given as (+/- 5dB) 80Hz to 20kHz at 1m on axis

Yes, indeed this seems to be more appropriate to the DM-4.
A single 8" driver with an effective 6" cone diameter can faithfully do 80Hz out of a 20 Litres box, not 30Hz!

Audio_engr is it possible to listen to the sound and then claim approximately how low the bass is going...you are welcome to visit me

I received the super tweeters today but don't won't to say thank you as words sometimes may not be able convey everything.

Virenji will come on Mon to solder the joints and then I'll try to notice if there is significant difference in the sound.

Till then eagerly waiting...

You are welcome mate. Anything to see a classic get back into shape:)

Helium called me two days ago and shared his excitement about how magical his speakers sound now and how the tweeter replacement has made a huge change:). Good news is that his crossover was fine. Let us wait for him to express in his own words.

Also some bad news is that Virenji found that only one of the Super tweeter was working and the other did not have continuity:(. He has hence replaced only the one tweeter that required replacement (the other was working alright). Helium has asked to check with the seller for a refund/return of one tweeter etc. Not sure how all this is going to happen considering we may have to send it back to UK. Will ask Teky to contact the seller and decide based on the response we get from the seller.

The access to my mails was limited and also wanted to review the difference thoroughly before I could conclude the changes the super tweeter made.

Before installing the supertweeters I checked to hear the sound and it was a minimal feeable sound and I felt that this will not make such a difference but as soon as I fitted it into the enclosure....Voila!

It was as if a 3d holographic imaging in front of you which made it feel as if the band is playing infront of you.

The vocals are simply mesmerising, I really wish I could share this joy with HFV members.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Helium called me two days ago and shared his excitement about how magical his speakers sound now and how the tweeter replacement has made a huge change:). Good news is that his crossover was fine. Let us wait for him to express in his own words.

Also some bad news is that Virenji found that only one of the Super tweeter was working and the other did not have continuity:(. He has hence replaced only the one tweeter that required replacement (the other was working alright). Helium has asked to check with the seller for a refund/return of one tweeter etc. Not sure how all this is going to happen considering we may have to send it back to UK. Will ask Teky to contact the seller and decide based on the response we get from the seller.

Teky try and see if you can speak to the ebayer who sold you these and reason with him. I'm sure he will listen as has excellent credit ratings.

Thank you

I've got a response back from the seller, Copy pasting it for further discussion.

hi, very strange, as i tested them before i packed them.
please let me know what refund you will be happy with.
kind regards,

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back