Old Onkyo HT R380

dexterz

I received an old Onkyo HT R380 with a faulty AVR from a relative. The avr powers on but no sound is output from the speakers. Will it be worth getting it fixed? Or can I replace the AVR with a stereo amp of some kind or any other patchwork solution to make it workable(assuming the speakers aren't faulty lol)? Just wanted to get your opinion (before my wife makes me throw it away:p)

Take it to a skilled repairer who understands this and he will inform you of the price of repairs....then check the price of a new one or pre owned (see OLX) and decide then the fate .....

checked with couple of repair shops nearby, both of them suggested cost of replacement parts might be high without stating what needs to be replaced. anyone from chennai that could suggest me a good service person for the AVR?

I received an old Onkyo HT R380 with a faulty AVR from a relative. The avr powers on but no sound is output from the speakers. Will it be worth getting it fixed? Or can I replace the AVR with a stereo amp of some kind or any other patchwork solution to make it workable(assuming the speakers aren't faulty lol)? Just wanted to get your opinion (before my wife makes me throw it away:p)

It most likely is a faulty HDMI board & replacing it with new HDMI is not worth IMO.. The cost of replacement HDMI board may be more than what you paid to your relative..:p

checked with couple of repair shops nearby, both of them suggested cost of replacement parts might be high without stating what needs to be replaced. anyone from chennai that could suggest me a good service person for the AVR?

There are mostly not-so skilled technician around here who can re-instate a AVR.. Absolutely nope..

I have had bitter experience of being optimistic and replaced my Onkyo TX NR 818 HDMI board that costs 18K and finally understood that the technician was not skilled enough..

Anyways, try using optical / co-axial inputs.. Check if they work.. (I doubt if they would work)..

You can try using analogue ports on your AVR, and engage AVR in pure audio mode..(Am not very sure if this would work..)

It most likely is a faulty HDMI board & replacing it with new HDMI is not worth IMO.. The cost of replacement HDMI board may be more than what you paid to your relative..:p
There are mostly not-so skilled technician around here who can re-instate a AVR.. Absolutely nope..

I have had bitter experience of being optimistic and replaced my Onkyo TX NR 818 HDMI board that costs 18K and finally understood that the technician was not skilled enough..

Anyways, try using optical / co-axial inputs.. Check if they work.. (I doubt if they would work)..

You can try using analogue ports on your AVR, and engage AVR in pure audio mode..(Am not very sure if this would work..)
thanks for the tip @elangoas . i got it for free so no harm there. i connected a couple of speakers to the avr and ran it in FM tuner mode and still got no sound output. i'm completely new to avr's so i'm not sure if that is how it works or if thats an issue. any ideas on that?

open up the AVR, see if you can see obvious signs of damage like burnt components etc. Once you have that figured out, it can be as easy as doing an online research of how much the chip will cost. Some times it can be a blown fuse or capacitors.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back