Oled Black crush

Love4sound

To all oled owners. Have you ever noticed black crush? In the first image so much details on the hero’s shirt and also you can clearly see a guy is standing behind. This is the actual image but to bring it to this settings I have to increase the brightness beyond the actual value which actually affects the blacks. This is easily seen in the first image where the black bars are in grey Color. So if I correct the brightness to correct the black level i loose details completely in dark scenes which is in the second image. The guy standing behind, the background and the details on the actor dress and object in front of him is completely crushed.The only way I was able to bring it to neutral is by changing the black level to high which is a wrong setting as per my research in google. This also affects the sharpness and quality in the picture

E0CA2C16-6D0B-41B3-8AD4-131EB66584BC.jpegF6A46393-6D0F-4524-96AD-BE9A52A923B2.jpeg

Last edited:
To all oled owners. Have you ever noticed black crush? In the first image so much details on the hero’s shirt and also you can clearly see a guy is standing behind. This is the actual image but to bring it to this settings I have to increase the brightness beyond the actual value which actually affects the blacks. This is easily seen in the first image where the black bars are in grey Color. So if I correct the brightness to correct the black level i loose details completely in dark scenes which is in the second image. The guy standing behind, the background and the details on the actor dress and object in front of him is completely crushed.The only way I was able to bring it to neutral is by changing the black level to high which is a wrong setting as per my research in google. This also affects the sharpness and quality in the picture

View attachment 42684View attachment 42685
This is something i had complained about earlier and my biggest qualm with the set. Whatever i tried just couldnt see the LG improve details in darker areas to the extent i liked. This was the case both at home and in showrooms. The Panasonic from 2018 is easily the best OLED i had ever seen in this regard
It is just the way it is until they can fix it if at all

This is the known issue with all OLED panel except the Panasonic models. Panasonic implemented their own custom panel on top of LG OLED.

what is the brightness set on when you toke the second pic?

what is the brightness set on when you toke the second pic?
48. If I increase I do get the details but black becomes grey.
This is the known issue with all OLED panel except the Panasonic models. Panasonic implemented their own custom panel on top of LG OLED.
Dam I didn’t see any showrooms having Panasonic for demo.
This is something i had complained about earlier and my biggest qualm with the set. Whatever i tried just couldnt see the LG improve details in darker areas to the extent i liked. This was the case both at home and in showrooms. The Panasonic from 2018 is easily the best OLED i had ever seen in this regard
It is just the way it is until they can fix it if at all
only fix i saw was keeping black level at high but at the expense of loosing brightness and sharpness

This is one of the reasons that i've avoided the OLED tv in the first place besides burn-in issues. And went with FALD tv from Sony. I didn't after deeper blacks at the cost of losing details. But wanted the best of both world.
Anyway this is my personal choice of picture quality. Others might have different tastes though :)

This is one of the reasons that i've avoided the OLED tv in the first place besides burn-in issues. And went with FALD tv from Sony. I didn't after deeper blacks at the cost of losing details. But wanted the best of both world.
Anyway this is my personal choice of picture quality. Others might have different tastes though :)
Well i will just use it as it is for 5-7 years. Overall happy with only disappointment of black crush.

There is one more element that affects black crush - the compression ratio used by the streaming service or the encoder (if playing a DLed file)
Gradations in dark scenes are often the first casualty with an aggressive encoding technique

One OTT provider which has absolutely brilliant gradations in dark scenes is Apple TV+, can you try playing back an episode with dark scenes on TV+ to see how good/bad it looks? This will at least help you assess how much of the problem is the TV and how much is the source.

There is one more element that affects black crush - the compression ratio used by the streaming service or the encoder (if playing a DLed file)
Gradations in dark scenes are often the first casualty with an aggressive encoding technique

One OTT provider which has absolutely brilliant gradations in dark scenes is Apple TV+, can you try playing back an episode with dark scenes on TV+ to see how good/bad it looks? This will at least help you assess how much of the problem is the TV and how much is the source.
I tested 4k blu ray HDR contents played through shield using KODI. Each movie file was above 50 GB. I also tested john wick 3 4kHDR 80GB file. In middle there is a gun fight in a market with halle berry. The walls and characters in the back ground where completely crushed. Also when halle berry hides behind a wall her half face was completely crushed with the wall completely in black. Like this so many scenes i tested only with Blu ray contents. I dont have apple tv so cant test

I tested 4k blu ray HDR contents played through shield using KODI. Each movie file was above 50 GB. I also tested john wick 3 4kHDR 80GB file. In middle there is a gun fight in a market with halle berry. The walls and characters in the back ground where completely crushed. Also when halle berry hides behind a wall her half face was completely crushed with the wall completely in black. Like this so many scenes i tested only with Blu ray contents. I dont have apple tv so cant test
You can install Apple TV+ on any device including android - i think it has a free trial as well so you should be able to test
The pilot episode of Morning show has a long sequence of dark scenes at the start so give that a try

Kodi has plenty of bugs on its own + the quality of ripped content can have issue (regardless of size) - I am not saying there is definitely an issue with the source but it's possible

Official Streaming apps do not have such issues and can help debug between software issues and hardware

You can install Apple TV+ on any device including android - i think it has a free trial as well so you should be able to test
The pilot episode of Morning show has a long sequence of dark scenes at the start so give that a try

Kodi has plenty of bugs on its own + the quality of ripped content can have issue (regardless of size) - I am not saying there is definitely an issue with the source but it's possible

Official Streaming apps do not have such issues and can help debug between software issues and hardware
Ok i will check if i can install apple tv+. The contents that i am checking are not ripped. They are the actual blu-ray disc and are in m2ts format. I also checked playing witcher in netflix using shield as well as the inbuilt app in my TV. Both i was able to see black crush on same scenes. What annoys me the most in black crush is in dark scenes where it takes place in a dark room, tunnel etc where there is fire lamps,candles or bulbs flickering, due to the black crush the image looks like a negative with background flickering in orange or the color of the bulbs due to the light produced.

Ok i will check if i can install apple tv+. The contents that i am checking are not ripped. They are the actual blu-ray disc and are in m2ts format. I also checked playing witcher in netflix using shield as well as the inbuilt app in my TV. Both i was able to see black crush on same scenes. What annoys me the most in black crush is in dark scenes where it takes place in a dark room, tunnel etc where there is fire lamps,candles or bulbs flickering, due to the black crush the image looks like a negative with background flickering in orange or the color of the bulbs due to the light produced.
You are right - m2ts should not have such issues
anyway, give TV+ a test as well

48. If I increase I do get the details but black becomes grey.
Can someone explain why black becomes gray if you increase brightness.I mean OLEDs are individual pixels?they turn on and off.

I dont own OLED tv but i do own Iphone 11 pro max.On my phones OLED even on full brightness(1200 nits for HDR) which is higher than C9 black looks like black and not gray

Can someone explain why black becomes gray if you increase brightness.I mean OLEDs are individual pixels?they turn on and off.

I dont own OLED tv but i do own Iphone 11 pro max.On my phones OLED even on full brightness(1200 nits for HDR) which is higher than C9 black looks like black and not gray
Brightness is actually black level settings in oled tv so if it is increased beyond the correct value it becomes grey.This is clearly seen in the first image where the black bars are in grey

I did not have any problems with black crush with the 4K HDR remux of John Wick 3 along with several other 4K remuxes but I was using madvr upscaling with 2080 super graphics card. Low bitrate content like the watchmen tv show did have noticeable black crush but that will be resolved once 4k Blu-ray comes out.

I did not have any problems with black crush with the 4K HDR remux of John Wick 3 along with several other 4K remuxes but I was using madvr upscaling with 2080 super graphics card. Low bitrate content like the watchmen tv show did have noticeable black crush but that will be resolved once 4k Blu-ray comes out.
Oh is it. If possible share images please. I don’t think it’s a matter of source and doesn’t matter if it is shield or madvr with 2080 graphics card

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back