OLED uniformity thread

The reverse vignett only on 5% gray, not on the content. But Why does it looks like LCD edge light bleeding, even if OLED does not have any back light? Is this too due to manufacturing process?

It's because under low voltage, not all pixels light up equally. It's a shortcoming of OLEDs. LG has developed a tech to correct it using optical measurements, but they need custom tuning of each panel.

PingPong is this a C9 looks like the C7 25% rectangle issue is yet not fixed by LG

[/QUOTE]
I thing this is not the same 25% rectangle issue. The brightness very on 4 sides. Bottom is brighter than other three sides. Then left, then right, then top has only small amount of brightness like a thin line. I can see this issue only on 5% gray. It is not visible at any content.

Engineer will visit tomorrow, let's see whether he acknowledges the issue.
Out of curiosity, i played the grey uniformity slides in a pitch black room on my 3 year old LG 4K IPS LCD LED backlight TV, which was state of the art when bought and suprised to see prominent banding (much more than my OLED) upto even 20%. I always thought grey banding is OLED specific and never noticed it in my LCD TV over past 3 years LOL, apparently in normally lit room it's not that noticeable. In my MI TV, which has VA type panel, there was no apparent banding.
Is there a panel lottery in IPS panels also, never heard people trying to get their panels replaced for uniformity issues. I may try my luck with LG as i have a AMC for the TV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111-110452_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-110452_Photos.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200111-110503_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-110503_Photos.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20200111-110523_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-110523_Photos.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20200111-110531_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-110531_Photos.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 28
Engineer will visit tomorrow, let's see whether he acknowledges the issue.
Out of curiosity, i played the grey uniformity slides in a pitch black room on my 3 year old LG 4K IPS LCD LED backlight TV, which was state of the art when bought and suprised to see prominent banding (much more than my OLED) upto even 20%. I always thought grey banding is OLED specific and never noticed it in my LCD TV over past 3 years LOL, apparently in normally lit room it's not that noticeable. In my MI TV, which has VA type panel, there was no apparent banding.
Is there a panel lottery in IPS panels also, never heard people trying to get their panels replaced for uniformity issues. I may try my luck with LG as i have a AMC for the TV.

My IPS monitor and the TCL TV, both have bad uniformity, but maybe because they didn't cost 1.3l, expectations were lower. Both have brighter edges that are visible in like every scebe. Btw, I was watching a movie a PVR two days ago, and they had three dark bands in the center visible on bright, panning shots. Couldn't help but notice them and laugh.

I had helped someone over on Reddit who had bought LG IPS TV, and the uniformity was horrible; IPS glow at its worse. LG offered him a trade-up to OLED by paying the difference. He finally took B9.

Good luck with the engineer. I hope you get a positive response.

Came across this calibration slide. Don’t have a clue on how to use it. Any idea?

The first part seems to be gradually rising luminance levels. So you can use it to check black crush abd correct it if it's there.

The first part seems to be gradually rising luminance levels. So you can use it to check black crush abd correct it if it's there.
The thing is I don’t understand what I am supposed to follow from this video. Another issue is that in YouTube through shield this video is not playing in HDR but in the Tv app it is playing in HDR. But I can’t calibrate using tv app cause when I use any tv app the black level option is greyed out and it is in auto vs the shield settings high and low

The thing is I don’t understand what I am supposed to follow from this video. Another issue is that in YouTube through shield this video is not playing in HDR but in the Tv app it is playing in HDR. But I can’t calibrate using tv app cause when I use any tv app the black level option is greyed out and it is in auto vs the shield settings high and low

Oh yeah! YouTube has this issue. I remember mentioning that YouTube won't play HDR on Android on Sony OLED too. Anyway, best if you calibrate using shield only. Avsforum has HDR slides. Same concept. Levels are shown and can check whether black crush is there or not. Here, try these:

Just for argument's sake, you can also calibrate using YouTube and jsut use the same setting for Nvidia shield too. Black level setting has only two options, right and wrong. Nothing to calibrate there except matching input to output as I mentioned earlier.

Oh yeah! YouTube has this issue. I remember mentioning that YouTube won't play HDR on Android on Sony OLED too. Anyway, best if you calibrate using shield only. Avsforum has HDR slides. Same concept. Levels are shown and can check whether black crush is there or not. Here, try these:

Just for argument's sake, you can also calibrate using YouTube and jsut use the same setting for Nvidia shield too. Black level setting has only two options, right and wrong. Nothing to calibrate there except matching input to output as I mentioned earlier.
Ok why is it that for TV apps we get the auto settings and not for HDMI sources

Ok why is it that for TV apps we get the auto settings and not for HDMI sources

I don't know, man. For apps, most probably it's not even auto, but limited, as I doubt any streaming app is sending full data levels. Maybe because of the media player full light be needed.

Anyway, maybe they want to be sure that the right setting is there for input ports and no fluctuations happen. The input signal isn't in their control. In the apps, they might have guidelines making the auto setting work without hitches, but can't do that for the input ports.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back