OLED uniformity thread

@Marakk , i have finally decided to try for a panel replacement. What was the procedure in your case. When you called the helpline to lodge a service request, what did you mention, that the TV has uniformity/ banding issues?

And when the technician visited your place, you showed them the slides or problematic content? Did the service engineer did any of his own testing like running his own slides or test patterns etc?

Good luck, buddy! You can go ahead anodge a complaint with the LG customer care. Just mention panel deficiencies. There are lines on the panel. Then the engineer will come, probably reset from the service menu, check their own slides too. Be ready to show content that showcases the problem. Better to have a couple of sequences that shows it multiple times rather than one killer scene. Slides after that. Better to use the TV's in-built ones. I think the greys can be toggled from the white balance menu. Not sure. Google and see how. Otherwise, 5% from YouTube will work. The first engineer that came escalated it. He said he'll have to send photos and videos ahead so that replacement can be made. So maybe check if the content you're showcasing will do that in videos too. I had to escalate it from my end too as senior engineer didn't come for like many days. So had to go through hoops for that, but when he did finally come, he was cooperative and like I said, clearly saw it and approved my request. Oh! There's a voice of customer that you can lodge on the customer care number. Do that if you have to escalate. I hope I haven't been too dense in the text wall. Lol

Good luck, buddy! You can go ahead anodge a complaint with the LG customer care. Just mention panel deficiencies. There are lines on the panel. Then the engineer will come, probably reset from the service menu, check their own slides too. Be ready to show content that showcases the problem. Better to have a couple of sequences that shows it multiple times rather than one killer scene. Slides after that. Better to use the TV's in-built ones. I think the greys can be toggled from the white balance menu. Not sure. Google and see how. Otherwise, 5% from YouTube will work. The first engineer that came escalated it. He said he'll have to send photos and videos ahead so that replacement can be made. So maybe check if the content you're showcasing will do that in videos too. I had to escalate it from my end too as senior engineer didn't come for like many days. So had to go through hoops for that, but when he did finally come, he was cooperative and like I said, clearly saw it and approved my request. Oh! There's a voice of customer that you can lodge on the customer care number. Do that if you have to escalate. I hope I haven't been too dense in the text wall. Lol
Thanks for sharing your experience, but what's this voice of customer to escalate? Didn't get that part.

Thanks for sharing your experience, but what's this voice of customer to escalate? Didn't get that part.

Like if the engineer isn't nice, doesn't agree with you, or there are delays in the process, call the customer care and complain and ask them to escalate it. They'll Lodge a VoC, which is apparently powerful. Got immediate response after that.

As the issue is mostly visible in panning shots, were you able to record photos and videos highlighting the issue.

As the issue is mostly visible in panning shots, were you able to record photos and videos highlighting the issue.

Yup! I did it with the Beasts of No Nation sequence. It was visible clearly as camera pans multiple times in it.

Booked a service request, will try to schedule it for Sunday when technician calls, as don't think parents will be able to point out the issue.

Have clicked a few photos, in the OA scene band is clearly visible. In slides i can see that right band has somewhat faded and is also not problematic in content, it's the left band which is prominent and is also faintly visible even in 20% slide and shows up in panning scenes. Shame otherwise the panel seems to be fine with no apparent issues as such.

Let's see what LG technicians say, i think it depends a lot on the technician that visits and his knowledge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200108-093444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200108-093444_Gallery.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200108-093404_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200108-093404_Gallery.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 30
Booked a service request, will try to schedule it for Sunday when technician calls, as don't think parents will be able to point out the issue.

Have clicked a few photos, in the OA scene band is clearly visible. In slides i can see that right band has somewhat faded and is also not problematic in content, it's the left band which is prominent and is also faintly visible even in 20% slide and shows up in panning scenes. Shame otherwise the panel seems to be fine with no apparent issues as such.

Let's see what LG technicians say, i think it depends a lot on the technician that visits and his knowledge.

Great! Jsut be nice and offer water and tea. Win them over. The senior guy who came actually said to me to write the mail that he can forward, since he found that I was quite technical. So even though it took some calling, the team overall was honest and nice. Hoping the same will be true in your city. Compare it to the Amazon service team (third party contractors) who came for the Metz OLED. They were horrible. I threw the out of the house. Lol

I couldn't see any banding in the OA scene. But there is some grains. Is this normal as it is a dark scene or should I change any setting?20200108_224852~2.jpg

There is on any banding in the OA scene. But there is some grains. Is this normal as it is a dark scene or should I change any setting?View attachment 42482

Grains are fine. It's just the content. Can't be helped. I keep NR on auto for this reason. MPEG NR and Smooth Gradation low though because they can look bad if turned up in many scenes.

Grains are fine. It's just the content. Can't be helped. I keep NR on auto for this reason. MPEG NR and Smooth Gradation low though because they can look bad if turned up in many scenes.
So, the grains are there in the content itself. But I couldn't see any banding in that sense. Did you see any in image? I mean is this panel good? What is your opinion?

So, the grains are there in the content itself. But I couldn't see any banding in that sense. Did you see any in image? I mean is this panel good? What is your opinion?

Panel is fine. It's a dark shot. Noise from camera plus compression making it look worse. Nothing to worry about. Your panel seems clean.

Post a photo of the 5% grey for more accurate judgement. Have you posted already? I went to your profile but couldn't spot it in a minute I'm your postings so I quit. Lol

That looks horrible! Is it that worse in real? Or just your camera overexposing?

Post a photo of the 5% grey for more accurate judgement. Have you posted already? I went to your profile but couldn't spot it in a minute I'm your postings so I quit. Lol
Yes, I have already posted 5% gray, few weeks before (See post #55 at page no 3). It looks like underexposed. I couldn't see any banding. In fact that is the exact look. If we see in person it seems like that underexposed one. But all your images are look a bit higher exposure than mine. So I once again took photos using DSLR camera with long shutter speeds (1 sec., 1.3 Sec., 1.6 Sec. & 2 sec.) settings. By increasing the shutter value we can see some banding.

Actually If I see that the OA scene when running on the TV, I couldn't find any banding. But if I compare throughly the OA image with the 5% gray images (2 Sec. Shutter image below), then I see some banding in the OA image. As they are not seem in normal viewing condition, it is not bothering me, but the grains are actually bothering me.

All others see banding in torture test scene, but i see grains, not banding.

1 Second Shutter:

1_Sec.jpg

1.3 Seconds Shutter:

1.3_Sec.jpg

1.6 Seconds Shutter:

1.6_Sec.jpg

2 Seconds Shutter:

2_Sec.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have already posted 5% gray, few weeks before (See post #55 at page no 3). It looks like underexposed. I couldn't see any banding. In fact that is the exact look. If we see in person it seems like that underexposed one. But all your images are look a bit higher exposure than mine. So I once again took photos using DSLR camera with long shutter speeds (1 sec., 1.3 Sec., 1.6 Sec. & 2 sec.) settings. By increasing the shutter value we can see some banding.

Actually If I see that the OA scene when running on the TV, I couldn't find any banding. But if I compare throughly the OA image with the 5% gray images (2 Sec. Shutter image below), then I see some banding in the OA image. As they are not seem in normal viewing condition, it is not bothering me, but the grains are actually bothering me.

All others see banding in torture test scene, but i see grains, not banding.

1 Second Shutter:

View attachment 42497

1.3 Seconds Shutter:

View attachment 42498

1.6 Seconds Shutter:

View attachment 42499

2 Seconds Shutter:

View attachment 42500

Yup, your grey screne is fine. It's like a reverse vignette. Shouldn't be that noticeable as there's no banding.

The grains that you're seeing, I'm seeing them too. It's the content that has those grains plus the compression makes it worse.

Yup, your grey screne is fine. It's like a reverse vignette. Shouldn't be that noticeable as there's no banding.

The grains that you're seeing, I'm seeing them too. It's the content that has those grains plus the compression makes it worse.
Yes, It has reverse vignette. particularly left and bottom are more brighter than center in person.

Alright. Not gonna improve much more then, but it's a good panel. Even my new one has a faint band. You're lucky that yours is band free.
The reverse vignett only on 5% gray, not on the content. But Why does it looks like LCD edge light bleeding, even if OLED does not have any back light? Is this too due to manufacturing process?

Back