OLED uniformity thread

Hahah u will never know.

Errr...I got a replacement panel that's better. Doesn't make any sense for a company to make inferior panels. The printing process of making the OLED panels costs the same whether you make a good panel or a bad one. Inferior in what sense?

Errr...I got a replacement panel that's better. Doesn't make any sense for a company to make inferior panels. The printing process of making the OLED panels costs the same whether you make a good panel or a bad one. Inferior in what sense?
What if its from another tv for example they take yours and just install it in another. I just don't trust any brand and their service in india. All they aim is to cheat customers. I am speaking purely from my experience

What if its from another tv for example they take yours and just install it in another. I just don't trust any brand and their service in india. All they aim is to cheat customers. I am speaking purely from my experience

There were films on both the sides. The screw holes seemed absolutely unused. I don't trust brands either, but this seems like an unused panel for sure. The streaking going away after a couple of hours of use is also a telltale sign. In case of OLEDs, dealers and retailers seem to be more deceptive than LG themselves. They have invested billions into building OLED, even as all other manufacturers jumped ship. Now they seem to be on solid ground. Samsung is going to join the race again with their QD-OLEDs. Anyway, I'm satisfied now. LG was courteous and changed my panel. I got a better one. No complains now. Checked torture scenes again. Could hardly spot the banding. Only if I focused on that area could I catch glimpses of the faint band. I hope it'll improve further after the manual refresh.

Any idea what causes banding, it seems LG doesn't have any tolerance levels, they ship what they print. For expensive products like this, they should have better quality control and defined tolerance levels.

Usually for electronic products, when they come off the assembly line, they are quality checked, which seems to missing for OLED displays as there seems to be too great a variation in panel quality.

There were films on both the sides. The screw holes seemed absolutely unused. I don't trust brands either, but this seems like an unused panel for sure. The streaking going away after a couple of hours of use is also a telltale sign. In case of OLEDs, dealers and retailers seem to be more deceptive than LG themselves. They have invested billions into building OLED, even as all other manufacturers jumped ship. Now they seem to be on solid ground. Samsung is going to join the race again with their QD-OLEDs. Anyway, I'm satisfied now. LG was courteous and changed my panel. I got a better one. No complains now. Checked torture scenes again. Could hardly spot the banding. Only if I focused on that area could I catch glimpses of the faint band. I hope it'll improve further after the manual refresh.
Good for you. I didnt meant it specific in your case. I was speaking in general and since he mentioned to wait for years and get the better panel in lottery.Lg was really bad in picture quality. Their TV's were unbearable. May be with leading the OLED market he is trying to be better. But any ways in india all brands just take the customers for a ride. Giving just one year warranty proves it.

Good for you. I didnt meant it specific in your case. I was speaking in general and since he mentioned to wait for years and get the better panel in lottery.Lg was really bad in picture quality. Their TV's were unbearable. May be with leading the OLED market he is trying to be better. But any ways in india all brands just take the customers for a ride. Giving just one year warranty proves it.
No it's 3 years warranty and that's quite a thing, considering 1 year extended amc for OLED is priced at ₹40000

There are year on year improvements. There's also a stack change due, which can bump brightness and improve color volume and gamut. Pixel structure will also be modified in 2021 if not this year itself, with Y/G being replaced with pure G. TADF-B is also on verge of being used. It'll also offer upgraded the panel quality. That won't happen this year for sure though. It's a big improvement and might take time to mass produce. Anyway, incremental upgrades will be there each year, and if GK waits even till next year to ensure 2020 panel arrives, it'll be slightly better than current ones for sure.

No only for diwali offer. They give only one year warranty and additional one year panel warranty. This is actually sad for a product of this cost. Its the same for most brands and electronics in india
When did you purchased your set? You got 1+1 or 3 years warranty?

Wow this thread really got very active in the past 2 weeks!! I am almost on 900 hrs on my C9 but yet to see any prominent banding. Cannot post the 5% gray slides as mobile is 5 yrs old with no manual shutter so pictures dont show gray well.

One thing I will say is that some bit starved 1080p content may show up oval banding on dark scenes (watchmen tv series perfect example). I tested this on various displays and it is encoding problem from Amazon web-dl rips it seems.

Wow this thread really got very active in the past 2 weeks!! I am almost on 900 hrs on my C9 but yet to see any prominent banding. Cannot post the 5% gray slides as mobile is 5 yrs old with no manual shutter so pictures dont show gray well.

One thing I will say is that some bit starved 1080p content may show up oval banding on dark scenes (watchmen tv series perfect example). I tested this on various displays and it is encoding problem from Amazon web-dl rips it seems.

Ah! That's a different issue though. Posterization is one thing that happens in dark scenes with low bandwidth. I keep smooth gradation and MPEG NR on low, and NR on auto. This gives me good overall results for 4k and compressed content too.

Anyway, as long as you haven't spotted anything in those 900 hours of content, you're golden, buddy!

That's not totally bad. No band as such. Those are the most prominent. Plus, yours hasn't been through a compensation cycle, right? The first few help the most. Once those happen, yours will possibly be an above average panel. Plus, it's a 65 inch one. You just might have lucked out. ;)

That's not totally bad. No band as such. Those are the most prominent. Plus, yours hasn't been through a compensation cycle, right? The first few help the most. Once those happen, yours will possibly be an above average panel. Plus, it's a 65 inch one. You just might have lucked out. ;)
Yeah just turned on and ran the test.

Yeah just turned on and ran the test.

It'll improve. Check after 4-5 hours. That'll give a better idea. It can improve even after that. My Metz OLED went through a big change actually. I didn't even realize it because of other issues. It was a whirlwind. The left side was dark initially, but then I had taken a photo a day before returning for reference, and in that the left side is like, nicely uniform.

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_011600.jpg
    IMG_20190914_011600.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190906_194155.jpg
    IMG_20190906_194155.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 21
Seems to be good panel, no prominent bands. Some faint bands are visible, are they visible to you in person or is camera over exposing.

If you want to view torture test scene, then play in a dark room OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, where camera drifts up the stairs, if there are any bands, this scene will show it.

Seems to be good panel, no prominent bands. Some faint bands are visible, are they visible to you in person or is camera over exposing.

If you want to view torture test scene, then play in a dark room OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, where camera drifts up the stairs, if there are any bands, this scene will show it.

Yeah, man! I have been through 3 panels, including the Metz one, and not one has been above average. Lol

It'll improve. Check after 4-5 hours. That'll give a better idea. It can improve even after that. My Metz OLED went through a big change actually. I didn't even realize it because of other issues. It was a whirlwind. The left side was dark initially, but then I had taken a photo a day before returning for reference, and in that the left side is like, nicely uniform.

Actually, this Metz panel seems to have had improved quite a lot, because the second image is not 5%, but 1%!

ok I’ll wait and see.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back