OLED uniformity thread

I guess oled owners just have to adjust the banding issues the same way non oled tv owners adjust non pure blacks on dark scenes.

Errr....it's like the dirty screen effect of LEDs, which can be more noticeable at times.

It would have been pointless during the day anyway. Tough to see with reflections and ambient light. If someone's at home, ask them to play this video:

Play it for four hours and then turn off the TV with the remote, but keep the power on from the switchboard. It'll do a compensation cycle. If there's any streaking like there was in my new panel, it'll be removed if it's the removable kind, and your first look at it won't be shocking. Lol
I am just going to calibrate the tv, watch some contents if possible a movie and call it a day. Too much testing is stressful. May be will see the 5% grey scale test

I am just going to calibrate the tv, watch some contents if possible a movie and call it a day. Too much testing is stressful. May be will see the 5% grey scale test

Calibration on OLEDs should be done after 200-300 hours, as the panel changes initially. Well the Rtings test shows brightness increases till like 900-1000 hours. Anyway, I'm assuming by calibration you meant actual calibration with...a calibrator.

Calibration on OLEDs should be done after 200-300 hours, as the panel changes initially. Well the Rtings test shows brightness increases till like 900-1000 hours. Anyway, I'm assuming by calibration you meant actual calibration with...a calibrator.
Lol no no. Just change the colour, brightness, temperature, motion and other standard settings to my liking and watch a movie

Lol no no. Just change the colour, brightness, temperature, motion and other standard settings to my liking and watch a movie

Haha! Cool cool. Enjoy! For the first few hours, try to watch 16:9 content that fills the entire screen. Not that it matters tbh. There are no break in procedures that people have decided upon over the past few years. OLEDs don't need to broken in as such is the consensus, but considering the panel does change initally, sometimes a lot like my new one did, it can help if the first compensation cycle that happens after 4 hours, happens after mostly 16:9 content. That's why I gave you that link. After that video ends, turning off the TV will toggle the first compensation cycle, and checking the grey scale after that will give a better idea as to how the panel looks.

Haha! Cool cool. Enjoy! For the first few hours, try to watch 16:9 content that fills the entire screen. Not that it matters tbh. There are no break in procedures that people have decided upon over the past few years. OLEDs don't need to broken in as such is the consensus, but considering the panel does change initally, sometimes a lot like my new one did, it can help if the first compensation cycle that happens after 4 hours, happens after mostly 16:9 content. That's why I gave you that link. After that video ends, turning off the TV will toggle the first compensation cycle, and checking the grey scale after that will give a better idea as to how the panel looks.
Ok then ill run that video while going to sleep. So after i wake up i need to power off the tv in remote for just 7-10 minutes right?

In my case, there are two prominent bands as seen in the 5% photo which show in content with grey scenes, though they are not as bad as are seen in the photo as camera over exposes them.

The left band is particularly problematic as it is more prominent and can be seen even in 20% screen (i have marked it in the photo) and if i carefully see the grey backgrounds like youtube search background or hotstar/ Amazon loading screens then it's also faintly visible there also.

But i am apprehensive to try for panel replacement as no assurances whether it will be worth the hassle.

Screenshot_20200106-170150_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200106-170003_Gallery.jpg

Ok then ill run that video while going to sleep. So after i wake up i need to power off the tv in remote for just 7-10 minutes right?

Yes. For OLEDs, it's recommended to not turn off power for 10 minutes at anyway, as one isn't sure when the compensation cycle will happen.

In my case, there are two prominent bands as seen in the 5% photo which show in content with grey scenes, though they are not as bad as are seen in the photo as camera over exposes them.

The left band is particularly problematic as it is more prominent and can be seen even in 20% screen (i have marked it in the photo) and if i carefully see the grey backgrounds like youtube search background or hotstar/ Amazon loading screens then it's also faintly visible there also.

But i am apprehensive to try for panel replacement as no assurances whether it will be worth the hassle.

View attachment 42407View attachment 42408

Agreed. No assurances. However, if it bothers you, you can try for a replacement. Try your luck. At worst, you'll get something like the one you already have. You can test when the change the panel, and then decide if you want to keep it or not. Just don't remove the films after till you have tested. I have the option of taking the old one back even now. That's why I asked for a day of observation, as the many of the streaks go away with use. Of course, some don't, as we both have found out.

View attachment 42407View attachment 42408
Yours look little bad. How are they while watching a movie? If its very evident in a lot of movie scenes you can just show those scenes and claim a panel replacement

Yours look little bad. How are they while watching a movie? If its very evident in a lot of movie scenes you can just show those scenes and claim a panel replacement
It's not that bad as seen in the photo, don't know the reason but default camera mode is over exposing the bands, the attached photo clicked with flash is more representative of what i see in a dark room, it shows in the torture scenes mentioned in first post, if viewed in dark room, however in normally lit room it is not noticeable.

The good thing is we all have got 3 years warranty this year, so we have lots of time to go in for a replacement. Just a wishful thinking that maybe LG improves it's QC in coming 3 years and then we may get a better replacement panel.

Screenshot_20200106-174906_Gallery.jpg

It's not that bad as seen in the photo, don't know the reason but default camera mode is over exposing the bands, the attached photo clicked with flash is more representative of what i see in a dark room, it shows in the torture scenes mentioned in first post, if viewed in dark room, however in normally lit room it is not noticeable.

The good thing is we all have got 3 years warranty this year, so we have lots of time to go in for a replacement. Just a wishful thinking that maybe LG improves it's QC in coming 3 years and then we may get a better replacement panel.

View attachment 42413

Yeah! That's what I had in mind actually. Take next year's panel. Lol

But then dead pixels and that line right in the center cropped up in more and more content, and I went for it now only.

View attachment 42413
Yeah right the camera always makes it look bad then it actually is. Just enjoy your movies and if you see banding that actually bothers you then you can request for replacement.

Yeah! That's what I had in mind actually. Take next year's panel. Lol

But then dead pixels and that line right in the center cropped up in more and more content, and I went for it now only.
One thing I was thinking like for example if a c7 owner with extended warranty goes in for a replacement this year will LG have that year's spare panel or will he get the latest panel, similarly if we go in for a replacement in third year will we get a C12 panel or will LG keep spare C9 panels manufactured this year.

Anyway i think best approach for now will be to keep using the present panel unless issues crop up more and more, in that case to fight for a panel change.

One thing I was thinking like for example if a c7 owner with extended warranty goes in for a replacement this year will LG have that year's spare panel or will he get the latest panel, similarly if we go in for a replacement in third year will we get a C12 panel or will LG keep spare C9 panels manufactured this year.

Anyway i think best approach for now will be to keep using the present panel unless issues crop up more and more, in that case to fight for a panel change.

I doubt they'll have a lot of spare panels stocked up. To be safe, do it well into the production cycle of the new panels. Let's say, a month before the first year's warranty is ending. 2016/2017 owners who are getting panels replaced as one-time courtesy for burn-in are getting the new panels. I lost patience and jumped the gun on my strategy. Lol

I doubt they'll have a lot of spare panels stocked up. To be safe, do it well into the production cycle of the new panels. Let's say, a month before the first year's warranty is ending. 2016/2017 owners who are getting panels replaced as one-time courtesy for burn-in are getting the new panels. I lost patience and jumped the gun on my strategy. Lol
Yes, also i believe there are no warranty restrictions for 2 and 3 year as it is a comprehensive warranty. A panel change a year, maybe by third year, when C12 will be in market, we may hit the panel lottery. Lol

Yes, also i believe there are no warranty restrictions for 2 and 3 year as it is a comprehensive warranty. A panel change a year, maybe by third year, when C12 will be in market, we may hit the panel lottery. Lol

But labor cost will be charged. Worth it? Don't know.

What if they make separate panels for replacement of old TV models which actually gets worse?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back