OLED uniformity thread

I think so. The only device that I connected to HDMI port is Airtel set top box. There is no any such issue. I have tried all the HDMI port too. No issue.
Checking with set top box is not the way. Need to check with a quality Blu-ray player or a device like shield. Since I also have Sony in the other room I checked. The colours and sharpness are the same using the tv app as well as the shield. Noticed gradient banding some time’s as well

Panel replaced, and it's not really an upgrade. More of a sidegrade. Instead of one line in the center surrounded by dark patches, this one has multiple streaks on the side. Under observation now. I'll run it for like the entire day and do a pixel refresh tomorrow. See if it improves. Otherwise back to talking to LG. It's clearly a panel lottery even with replacements then. No point going for it if you have even an average one. Will attach photos later when it gets dark.
How much time it took to replace the panel?

How much time it took to replace the panel?

About half an hour. It's not that complex. The new panel had films on both the sides too. Seemed like new and unused. I'm hoping with use the streaks will reduce. Pfft! The streaks are on the side though. Will check at night how much they stand out. I'm thinking of keeping it and giving LG a stern feedback about banding. They got an optical tech to custom tune each panel to have great uniformity this year; just gotta bring it into mass production.

So there's some positive development. I went to the service menu and reduced the short compensation cycle time to 2 hours and then let the TV run and then let one short compensation cycle happen. The horrible horrible streaking that was visible on the left and some on the right too is now gone. Phew! What a relief. It looked horrendous otherwise. So now as you can see in the image, no visible bands as such but dark areas are there. Those are still less visible. Bands stand out a lot The panel is still going to change. The brightness also seems to be a tad low for 5%, but fine otherwuse. I'm going to let it run all day today, shutting it off to complete more short compensation cycles. Take a call on it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_182238.jpg
    IMG_20200105_182238.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 29
So there's some positive development. I went to the service menu and reduced the short compensation cycle time to 2 hours and then let the TV run and then let one short compensation cycle happen. The horrible horrible streaking that was visible on the left and some on the right too is now gone. Phew! What a relief. It looked horrendous otherwise. So now as you can see in the image, no visible bands as such but dark areas are there. Those are still less visible. Bands stand out a lot The panel is still going to change. The brightness also seems to be a tad low for 5%, but fine otherwuse. I'm going to let it run all day today, shutting it off to complete more short compensation cycles. Take a call on it tomorrow.
Try playing some movie scenes where the banding was bad. If it’s ok or manageable all good.

Try playing some movie scenes where the banding was bad. If it’s ok or manageable all good.

I will later. Just watching 16:9 content right now. Two compensation cycles by midnight, and then I will test the torture scenes.

I will later. Just watching 16:9 content right now. Two compensation cycles by midnight, and then I will test the torture scenes.
I don’t know what the compensation cycle is and what it does and how to enable it.

I don’t know what the compensation cycle is and what it does and how to enable it.

It happens on its own after every four hours of viewing during standby. It lasts for about 7 minutes. Default time is 4. I reduced it to 2 so that I can get through 3 of them today itself. The hour long pixel refresh can be toggled manually or happens after every 2,000 hours.

It happens on its own after every four hours of viewing during standby. It lasts for about 7 minutes. Default time is 4. I reduced it to 2 so that I can get through 3 of them today itself. The hour long pixel refresh can be toggled manually or happens after every 2,000 hours.
So only if you have watched for 4 hours? So for this to happen i have to watch something for 4 hours and power off the tv using remote and leave the main switch on? will it start immediately and how long does it take?

So only if you have watched for 4 hours? So for this to happen i have to watch something for 4 hours and power off the tv using remote and leave the main switch on? will it start immediately and how long does it take?

4 hours cumulatively. Of course, if you watch for 3 hours in a session, and then turn it off, and then another 3 hour session, it'll happen after 6 hours. It takes 7 minutes.

Sooo...another auto short panel refresh done. I also changed the format to RAW. It gives a much better idea of the panel as otherwise details are being smudged. Panel seems far from perfect, and there might be some slight bands, but not as prominent as the previous one. That was perfectly in the center good. I think I'll keep this. Not worth chasing perfection. Will update after 50-100 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_213104_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20200105_213104_compress79.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 26
Sooo...another auto short panel refresh done. I also changed the format to RAW. It gives a much better idea of the panel as otherwise details are being smudged. Panel seems far from perfect, and there might be some slight bands, but not as prominent as the previous one. That was perfectly in the center good. I think I'll keep this. Not worth chasing perfection. Will update after 50-100 hours.
With oled’s I think it’s very difficult to achieve perfection in this test. Just play some movies scenes that are known to have banding and see if it’s manageable

Faint banding is visible, is it also noticeable on 10 and 20% shots, there seems to be no point in going for a replacement unless a major issue with panel, it's a lottery in truest sense, just the amount and intensity of banding varies.

Faint banding is visible, is it also noticeable on 10 and 20% shots, there seems to be no point in going for a replacement unless a major issue with panel, it's a lottery in truest sense, just the amount and intensity of banding varies.

Yeah! Agreed. It is a lottery, and unless you have a bad panel, don't go for it. Even with an average panel, you run the risk of getting a worse panel.

This one does have giant bands that as visible in person currently on the torture tests, but they are on the side and they are fainter than that one obvious center line. 10% is almost perfect with this one though; so this one is slightly better, and it has gone better since I got it.

Like I said, when the TV was turned on with the new panel, there were so many bands visible upto 20%, but they went away with with a few hours of use and an auto panel compensation. I'll do a manual pixel refresh after crossing 50 hours and then just let it be.

Yeah! Agreed. It is a lottery, and unless you have a bad panel, don't go for it. Even with an average panel, you run the risk of getting a worse panel.

This one does have giant bands that as visible in person currently on the torture tests, but they are on the side and they are fainter than that one obvious center line. 10% is almost perfect with this one though; so this one is slightly better, and it has gone better since I got it.

Like I said, when the TV was turned on with the new panel, there were so many bands visible upto 20%, but they went away with with a few hours of use and an auto panel compensation. I'll do a manual pixel refresh after crossing 50 hours and then just let it be.
So the replacement panels are having banding issues as the original panels. I had hoped maybe LG would be selecting better uniformed panels to avoid multiple replacements. With your experience i am not having confidence to fight for a panel replacement.

Is the visible banding improved in the content you watch in which it was noticeable in your orginal panel. Are those faint bands noticeable in grey backgrounds like youtube search background/ hotstar loading screen etc?

So the replacement panels are having banding issues as the original panels. I had hoped maybe LG would be selecting better uniformed panels to avoid multiple replacements. With your experience i am not having confidence to fight for a panel replacement.

Is the visible banding improved in the content you watch in which it was noticeable in your orginal panel. Are those faint bands noticeable in grey backgrounds like youtube search background/ hotstar loading screen etc?
I guess oled owners just have to adjust the banding issues the same way non oled tv owners adjust non pure blacks on dark scenes.

I don't think they have a process to jsut manufacture better panels. That's why they researched and I guess patented the optical correction tech that I have mentioned multiple times. This banding is a result of the manufacturing process' limitation itself. GZ2000, since they are custom panels, instead of being best graded panels, are probably custom tuned with that tech. I had posted a link to the research in the thread earlier if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the new panel is definitely better. The streaking that was present initially was noticable easily even on YouTube screen. It was horrible, but it went away after 2 hours of use. Now the panel is better than the previous one for sure. No prominent band. The faint one is off center, so not that big an issue. It's something that'll be less noticable, and I can learn to ignore it. It was hardly noticeable in the Marco Polo scene and the Beasts of No Nation one too. Improvement for sure. No dead pixels. Keeper.

However, one thing is certain, it's a lottery and LG isn't doing any grading it seems. The replacement panels can be just as bad.

How is the banding in your replaced 65C9, noticeable in any content?
I did not have time to check anything as i had to rush to office. After installation i just ran the color test and checked for any dead pixels. Will do all the testing at home later tonight

I did not have time to check anything as i had to rush to office. After installation i just ran the color test and checked for any dead pixels. Will do all the testing at home later tonight

It would have been pointless during the day anyway. Tough to see with reflections and ambient light. If someone's at home, ask them to play this video:

Play it for four hours and then turn off the TV with the remote, but keep the power on from the switchboard. It'll do a compensation cycle. If there's any streaking like there was in my new panel, it'll be removed if it's the removable kind, and your first look at it won't be shocking. Lol

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back