Onboard S/PDIF to Digital Coaxial or optical audio bracket

adarsh

Hi,
I want to extract digital audio from my PC, so that I can connect it to the AVR via optical or coaxial cable.
My Foxconn Motherboard is having onboard S/PDIF out, I need something like this one :

ASUS Motherboard SPDIF Digital Coaxial Audio Bracket | eBay

Is it available in India? I searched on ebay india site, but no one is offering.

Help me if anyone is using it, or where can I purchase one.

Thanks for looking.

I had ordered this from the same seller sometime back. Reached me fine and am using the bracket for sometime now.
I dont think you can get it easily locally.

:( I had one lying around for years (came with my MSI AMD athlon motherboard)... Just threw it out while cleaning the tech cupboard last month...

There are some USB to s/pdif convertes available in market as eell (online) but they will cost more than such bracket. A sound card like Asus xonar DG comes for rs 1.5k and has optical outbut I am not sure it trans mits only 2 channle or full 5.1 channle over optical.

After some research on the net, I found a simple solution.
DIY SPDIF Coax Bracket.
Seems simple , cost effective ( Just the price of female RCA cable ) and some soldering on the motherboard.
For Coaxial connection SPDIF_Out and Ground pins are used.
SPDIF_Out pin goes to tip of RCA , and Gnd pin goes to the metal ring of RCA.
Hope this should work.

@ s_sachin : the bracket looks neat, I had almost decided to order before coming across this simple DIY.

@s_anuj : if you find it lying somewhere, just pm me.

@jaudere : if DIY thing does't work , I will go for the Asus Xonar .

I'm not a confident electrical solderer anyway, but a motherboard is the very last thing I'd point a soldering iron at!

One would need to be a very proficient solderer, and be aware of the possible static damage risks, not only of handling computer components (easy: we most of us know that!) but of soldering them.

DIY with cables and connectors, though, should be safe and effective.

After some research on the net, I found a simple solution.
DIY SPDIF Coax Bracket.
Seems simple , cost effective ( Just the price of female RCA cable ) and some soldering on the motherboard.
For Coaxial connection SPDIF_Out and Ground pins are used.
SPDIF_Out pin goes to tip of RCA , and Gnd pin goes to the metal ring of RCA.
Hope this should work.

This will work. But do not attempt soldering on the motherboard. Use connectors like that used for front usb panel.

First I thought of soldering on Motherboard, but after the suggestions from Ontherock, Thad_E_Ginathom and Baijuxaviour, I dropped the Idea. The link provided by Ontherock, helped. I used the CD connector cable and RCA cable. Now my Yamaha 463 is detecting Dolby-D as well as DTS signals when I play the coded content.

And happy with the results ( saved around 1K .. literally ).

If you are willing go DIY, you can buy the optical transmitter TOTX117 from websites like element14.com and build your own. I'm sure it'll be very simple.

hi guys.. i bought the same from ebay..
Im using Denon avr1604..
connected spdif bracket in my gigabyte mb..
now i can able use digtal audio.. but.....
its playing only in pcm mode.. i could'nt play in dts mode..
i was trying several combinations... and the result is hair loss by pulling out my head...
PLSSSS help me out.....

Last edited:
Are you sure the audio you are playing is dts and you have set the player to bitstream dts?
Also do not open multiple threads for the same subject.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back