One doubt in Onkyo 5105

selvakumar

In Onkyo web site I read the following;

"sepatate Audio connection is necesasary to process Multichannel Audio."

What it means.?. I am having TataSky . From that out put, whether its possible to get multichannel audio ?.

Last edited:
Hi Selva,

Onkyo 5105 supports HDMI.

So ideally both video and audio should be carried over by HDMI connection itself. ie. you can have a HDMI cable running b/w DVD and AVR to carry both audio and video signals. No additional cable is required.

But in many mid level/low level AVR's though HDMI is supported the HDMI cable will carry only video signal. For audio you need to either use coaxial cable or optical cable to pass the audio signals to avr to decode it. onkyo 5105 falls in this category.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Prakash,

My doubt is... I am not talking about video. For audio, in Tatasky L/R two way are there, I can give this two as input.

Whether I can able to hear the sound in all my 5.1 or I will get sound in only front L/R.?

Hi Prakash,

My doubt is... I am not talking about video. For audio, in Tatasky L/R two way are there, I can give this two as input.

Whether I can able to hear the sound in all my 5.1 or I will get sound in only front L/R.?

You will get in 5.1 but not true 5.1. Tata Sky as with all other TV channels and DTH providers only transmit in 2-channel so you will need to use DTS Neo or Dolby Prologic II modes to hear the 2-channel content upmixed to 5.1.

You can connect the Tata Sky set-top box the AV Receiver with a RCA cable pair to any input labelled DVR or CTV or such. This will be a stereo input. You can choose to have the sound in only the front Left and Right speakers, in stereo mode as transmitted, or you can choose a mode such as Dolby Prologic II Cinema mode which would convert the sound into 5.1 and distribute it amongst your speakers.

Oh Thank you very much Friend,

Finally I decided to purchase Onkyo 5105. Already experienced it. Now I am going to listen Yamaha YHT 195.

I think most probably go for Onkyo instead of Yamaha. Will purchase soon. looking good offer from Reliance Digital / Croma / xcite - koramangala Bangalore.

From this forum, I have learned many things.

Thanks once again to all

Selva,

I saw Yamaha YHT 195 for around 22K. But i am not sure if it is in Excite Koromangla or reliance digital Blore. Sorry about that.

Also audition Yamaha 463 with Yamaha NS 8390(floor standers) + NSP 60 in Excite. It is available for around 33K and it sounded better than YHT 195, Onkyo 5105.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I have purchased Onkyo 5105 at Xcite bangalore @ 28K. Now one help.

From my sound card Optical out, i give connection to the Receiver Optical In.

Now I am getting sound only in the front speaker.

Any adjustment I have to make.

From my analog I am getting sound from all the speakers. The problems only in Optical.

I have purchased Onkyo 5105 at Xcite bangalore @ 28K. Now one help.

From my sound card Optical out, i give connection to the Receiver Optical In.

Now I am getting sound only in the front speaker.

Any adjustment I have to make.

From my analog I am getting sound from all the speakers. The problems only in Optical.

If you are playing music ,onk will opt stereo opt.you can select surr opt as prologic 2,neo to get 5.1 output.

If paying DVD,check SC adjustment & select as Raw & get 5.1 surr.

Yes I have selected neo 6 and also Pro Logic II. Even then I am getting sound only in Front speakers. This problem only when I connected Optical In from my PC sound card. If I connected Analog input, then I am able to get sound in all the speakers.

Last edited:
Yes I have selected neo 6 and also Pro Logic II. Even then I am getting sound only in Front speakers. This problem only when I connected Optical In from my PC sound card. If I connected Analog input, then I am able to get sound in all the speakers.

The prob cld be opt cable or length of opt cable so that Data is not carried in full bandwidth?

when I connect DVDp with both opt & coax port to AVR ,I can play it with prologic.You try with DVDp via opt & check if prob persists with same cable?

Hi as Spirovious mentioned, Please check the sound processing adjustments and select it to RAW/PCM for Ex., if you are using VLC player for playing you can select ouput as RAW to SPDIF in Audio tab on the top. If you are using any other player, try to download codecs for processing the 5.1 audio formats such as AC3 filters (I suppose) and use them to process the sound and send it to optical out as RAW/PCM.

Hi,

Its going as PCM only. In my receiver is showing the input as PCM only. Even then I am getting sound in front speaker only.

Please help me. Any way today I am going to check it with DVDp.

Hi,

Its going as PCM only. In my receiver is showing the input as PCM only. Even then I am getting sound in front speaker only.

Please help me. Any way today I am going to check it with DVDp.

Even if it is PCM,AVR shld turn if in 5.1 with Prollogic atleast.

May I know what player you are using to play your content in your system?
Cos, the software we use normally down converts 5.1 to 2 channel stereo for playback on computer speakers unless we specify explicitly to send the raw data in 6 channel. Even though the PCM is enabled it seems that the 5.1 audio is down converted and sent to the spdif. Please download codec packs like AC3 filter and similar to send the raw data as it is without down converting.

Please let me know your player So I may be able to provide you with extra info on this. I faced the same issue long back.

Thanks.

I have used all the players including VLC.

In sound card in testing is there to test sound in all the speakers. Even in that also I am getting sound only in front two sepakers alone.

I will try to use filters like AC3. Also I will try with DVDp.

@razaa - What is the soundcard you have? You will have to select the appropriate setting for all speakers in the soundcard settings. For eg: If its Creative and you want 2.0 sound via all 5.1 speakers then you have to enable CMSS (Creative MultiSpeaker Surround) so that you can hear sound via all speakers. This will be different for different soundcard manufacturers.

Apart from this make sure you're using DTS Neo or Dolby Prologic II in the AVR to upmix 2.0 to 5.1.

Try both of them, it should fix things.

Yes Thank u all,

I have configured successfully.

Now I have two questions.

1. Where can I buy mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical cables? I am situated in Bangalore.

2. I have connected my sound card to receiver via Optical cable. The problem is I am getting good quality sound while hearing movies. But Speech is dead slow. Means, I am not able to hear the speech (very dead slow in sound). But I am hearing all other sound effect of the movie. What may be the problem. I am having the problem in both the DVDp as well as in sound card. I think it may be due to poor optical cable (I have purchased just two days back for rs.300/-.

please help me

Yes Thank u all,

I have configured successfully.

Now I have two questions.

1. Where can I buy mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical cables? I am situated in Bangalore.

2. I have connected my sound card to receiver via Optical cable. The problem is I am getting good quality sound while hearing movies. But Speech is dead slow. Means, I am not able to hear the speech (very dead slow in sound). But I am hearing all other sound effect of the movie. What may be the problem. I am having the problem in both the DVDp as well as in sound card. I think it may be due to poor optical cable (I have purchased just two days back for rs.300/-.

please help me

Q1 dont know,but you can check in AV shops ot IT shops.

Q2 Dialoges can be dull as default setting of centre is -2,
Increase to +2,secondly speech can be related to the source.some DVDs
comes with poor sound.Due to long didital cables(opt) also sound can be
poor.
For viewing mov from my PC ,I choose 5.1ana out from onbrd SC which
sounds better & many options to enhance speech.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back