One unusual comparison

isisira

Hi Guys,
Have been following this great forum for a while and now, kinda making up my mind to upgrade from my old faithful ONIDA 21 CRT. (Which I must admit still gives better pictures than most other newer CRTs). In, in my quest over a past year - only one TV caught my eye among the Sonys,Samsungs and LGs.
The one was 42 LD 650 of LG .It is one TV I found outstanding in all comparisons.The price though was high for a 42in LCD at 65K ,so i kept waiting.

Infact, still today it is one of the most advanced LCDs that ever came in Indian market - 200Hz,2ms,DLNA,UltraClear panel. But, strangely the production is stopped and there's no eqivalent 2011 model too. But yesterday, I was suprised to see this TV at an unbelievable price of 52.5K in ezoneonline (must be stock clearance).

Well, there would be no doubt that I would jump into it.But, :eek: here comes the problem.I am of late started loving the new kid on the block - Samsung Plasma PS51D550.

This, model is an answer to my complaints about the Plasmas which were there in market and more.It is 51in,it is Full HD unlike budget plasmas, 21kgs,DLNA and yes,it's 3D (though I hardly care).

Now, I am struck in dilemma :rolleyes: .Is it worthwhile to invest 10K more to get this?

Yes, I want to keep it for atleast 5 years and will the Plasma start losing quality year on year (I think this has been lot many times argued and fought, but still a paradox :eek:hyeah: )

So, plz guys, the owners, the experts ,and the laymen (like me) pour in your opinions!

Thank you!

Hi Guys,
Have been following this great forum for a while and now, kinda making up my mind to upgrade from my old faithful ONIDA 21 CRT. (Which I must admit still gives better pictures than most other newer CRTs). In, in my quest over a past year - only one TV caught my eye among the Sonys,Samsungs and LGs.
The one was 42 LD 650 of LG .It is one TV I found outstanding in all comparisons.The price though was high for a 42in LCD at 65K ,so i kept waiting.

Infact, still today it is one of the most advanced LCDs that ever came in Indian market - 200Hz,2ms,DLNA,UltraClear panel. But, strangely the production is stopped and there's no eqivalent 2011 model too. But yesterday, I was suprised to see this TV at an unbelievable price of 52.5K in ezoneonline (must be stock clearance).

Well, there would be no doubt that I would jump into it.But, :eek: here comes the problem.I am of late started loving the new kid on the block - Samsung Plasma PS51D550.

This, model is an answer to my complaints about the Plasmas which were there in market and more.It is 51in,it is Full HD unlike budget plasmas, 21kgs,DLNA and yes,it's 3D (though I hardly care).

Now, I am struck in dilemma :rolleyes: .Is it worthwhile to invest 10K more to get this?

Yes, I want to keep it for atleast 5 years and will the Plasma start losing quality year on year (I think this has been lot many times argued and fought, but still a paradox :eek:hyeah: )

So, plz guys, the owners, the experts ,and the laymen (like me) pour in your opinions!

Thank you!

Hi Friend - I can very well understand the state of your mind :)

I would definitely prefer Sammy PS51D550 as Plasma can beat LCD/LED on color reproduction at any given day :licklips: [not sure whether others agree with me - just my opinion] and again it is better to go with a new model than a phased out one.:

You can get more info on Sammy on http://www.hifivision.com/television/17478-2011-samsung-plasma-3d-ps51d550.html

and there is a group buy going on where our beloved prankey is trying hard to get this beauty for 63k including one free 3d glass, that can be found here - http://www.hifivision.com/television/18193-best-price-2011-samsung-plasma-3d-ps51d550.html.

Hope you will be able to make a decision with this as there are many reviews about ps51d550 in these threads by the pride owners.

one last thing. I dont think u noticed the power consumption of this tv. just a note of caution. check the power consumption. :)

Well Manju, for a moderate viewing of say 4 hrs a day , I enquired in few threads and got a reply that - even with this plasma there will be a marginal increase - say of max 100rs in my bill.moreover once the interest dies down after a few months -I don't even know if I make use 4 hrs a day :rolleyes:

Well Manju, for a moderate viewing of say 4 hrs a day , I enquired in few threads and got a reply that - even with this plasma there will be a marginal increase - say of max 100rs in my bill.moreover once the interest dies down after a few months -I don't even know if I make use 4 hrs a day :rolleyes:

And if u r planning to hook ur playstation to ur plasma...think again....u r not supposed to connect any gaming console to a plasma before 150 hours of normal usage...and as far as i know...Panasonic is the leader for Plasmas..wy do u go for SAMMY???

Take into consider 2 Factors.

1. Power consumption. Check urself diff between rated consumption of both models. If its 100W, diff wud be less than Rs 100 for 4 hrs use. But if u use 8-10 hrs a day, diff wud be 200-250 rs.

2. Take into account active/passive 3D.

Thank you guys for pitching in the suggestions! Well, yes , the power consumption is rated max 350 W for the plasma.It is a bit high but many tell it's only the max and the actual will be around 190 ..

And the 3D, I just considered as bonus.This one has active 3d and 2d-3d conversion.But, really I dont think 3D is anything exciting wearing those bulky goggles ;)

DEFINETELY "GO" for the Samsung PSD51550.....u wouldn't Regret!.....P.Q Beats hands down any best lcd/led-lcds u can name....if u have a controlled lightning,w/o too many big bright open glass window....u will have the "BEST" Big tv in the world in this budget!..if u r a skeptic & don't believe me & many others, go to any nearby good tv showroom that has this on display at night time(after dusk) with all your own stuff(sd,hd,fhd,etc) & see what i am speaking about. For me, the difference & the decision in favour of the plasma has been almost instantaneous!

DEFINETELY "GO" for the Samsung PSD51550.....u wouldn't Regret!.....P.Q Beats hands down any best lcd/led-lcds u can name....if u have a controlled lightning,w/o too many big bright open glass window....u will have the "BEST" Big tv in the world in this budget!..if u r a skeptic & don't believe me & many others, go to any nearby good tv showroom that has this on display at night time(after dusk) with all your own stuff(sd,hd,fhd,etc) & see what i am speaking about. For me, the difference & the decision in favour of the plasma has been almost instantaneous!

Well i wouldn't say the 51D550 can beat every lcd.
Granted for that price you can't even get a similar sized lcd,let alone a LED-lit lcd.

@ OP
Do have a look at the samsung series 6 lcd its should be on clearance sale.Just like the Lg LD650 this is also a last years model,but the samsung is better.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for pitching in the suggestions! Well, yes , the power consumption is rated max 350 W for the plasma.It is a bit high but many tell it's only the max and the actual will be around 190 ..

And the 3D, I just considered as bonus.This one has active 3d and 2d-3d conversion.But, really I dont think 3D is anything exciting wearing those bulky goggles ;)
Plasmas have higher power rating due to their inherent nature of consuming more power when displaying brighter image. So the consumption make be just about 100W in darker scenes and with low brightness levels (suited for dark rooms), you may get about 150 to 200W consumption only. In contrast, LCD power consumption is consistent with any picture (infact, LCD panels consume more power to display dark images as they have to make the screen darker to avoid the backlight to pass thru those pixels).

3D is VERY convincing in this year's Samsung Plasmas as I have reviewed in moderately lit showroom and if we trust the reviewers.

After seeing this year's Samsung 3D Plasmas, I can say they beat all the LCD/LED TVs I have seen till date in terms of color accuracy and picture dynamic range. I see LCDs saturating colors in moderately bright images. I might be exaggeration, however this has been my experience during showroom audition of this year's models particularly from Samsung.

He He :) Thank you all the people.. All your opinions are pointing me towards the plasma :licklips:
And now, have to get that extra 10K budget sanctioned I guess.. :cool:

Well, you know I had this one more doubt - I know it's also a very controversial one - still - let's not get into too much debate. For, a 51in like this is viewing distance 6ft nearest to 16ft farthest OK? (like it's in one hall and can be viewed sitting on other too).

One more thing - will this TV just leave me alone at 63K ?- no it will demand a HD DTH from me :eek:hyeah:

With all these questions being cleared the philosopher who was sitting somewhere there in the corner of the mind comes here and asks me "Oh TV illusioned boy! Come out.. DO u really need to invest a fortune on a TV ?" :rolleyes:

Well, the rebel who was fantasizing the TV quite until now is not willing to keep quiet either :yahoo:
Anyway thank you folks!:clapping:

6ft would be very good for bluray and hd content,16ft for SD dth so that the poor PQ will be less bothering

s In contrast, LCD power consumption is consistent with any picture (infact, LCD panels consume more power to display dark images as they have to make the screen darker to avoid the backlight to pass thru those pixels).

Well if the dynamic backlight/contrast control is off.Based on by own testing lcds power consumption remain constant (or has negligible variation) when its showing a bright image or a dark image.

But if its a local dimming LED its consumes the least amount of power during dark images.

He He :) Thank you all the people.. All your opinions are pointing me towards the plasma :licklips:
And now, have to get that extra 10K budget sanctioned I guess.. :cool:

Well, you know I had this one more doubt - I know it's also a very controversial one - still - let's not get into too much debate. For, a 51in like this is viewing distance 6ft nearest to 16ft farthest OK? (like it's in one hall and can be viewed sitting on other too).

One more thing - will this TV just leave me alone at 63K ?- no it will demand a HD DTH from me :eek:hyeah:

With all these questions being cleared the philosopher who was sitting somewhere there in the corner of the mind comes here and asks me "Oh TV illusioned boy! Come out.. DO u really need to invest a fortune on a TV ?" :rolleyes:

Well, the rebel who was fantasizing the TV quite until now is not willing to keep quiet either :yahoo:
Anyway thank you folks!:clapping:

this is just exactly like my viewing setup in my tv room...i satisfactorly watch tv allmost eveytime@6ft distance only & pretty happy @what i see & how i see!...Fhd content being enjoyed the most a@ this distance! :)

LG has mention very less power consumption in case of Plasma (127wh). is it maximum power or caliberated power consumption? does that mean that Panasonic consume more power than LG?

Well if the dynamic backlight/contrast control is off.Based on by own testing lcds power consumption remain constant (or has negligible variation) when its showing a bright image or a dark image.

But if its a local dimming LED its consumes the least amount of power during dark images.
Yes that is what I meant. Actually local dimming, dynamic contrast and eco mode bothers me a lot as it makes the picture INCONSISTENT and there is a consistent change in backlight (that is what I meant by "blinking LEDs") and dynamic contrast on a constant backlit CCFL LCD TV is more tolerable for me as atleast the backlight is constant (when eco mode is off).

In Plasmas as well, we should get minimum power consumption in dark scenes without the use of such DISTURBING settings :) (arguments expected and appreciated).

I personally can't tolerate Judders (and LOVE soap opera effect :)) so for me a 100/200Hz motion plus feature is most useful on a LCD TV other than those LED based features (except for LED motion plus which might be helpful in reducing motion blur while mildly reducing brightness due to the "blinking" :))

LG has mention very less power consumption in case of Plasma (127wh). is it maximum power or caliberated power consumption? does that mean that Panasonic consume more power than LG?
Must be a calibrated power output. All TVs will need to be tested for their power consumption (at similar picture settings) to comment on your question.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back