Onky0 3200/3100

rohit0103

Hi All,

have been browsing through the threads for sometime now and it has been very useful and now I need some advice.

I want to buy a component Home Theatre as i already own 2 DVD players and no point in purchasing a Sony/Samsung/LG combo etc.

Following is my future target and current position :

1. Home Theatre Budget 25 K
2. Already own 2 DVD playes- Phillips 727K and LG DV356
3. Planning to purchase LG 32LH70 (39 K)
4. Maybe a Gaming Console as well later.
4. Dont want a regular Sony/Samsung/LG HTiB. Reviews aren't great,either.
5. Would be used mostly for Movies/DTH TV/Games, rarely for Music.
6. Since the LG TV I am planning to purchase plays movies directly from USB External HD Drive, Movies/Shows would mostly be downloaded from Torrents and some from Original DVDs.

Going thru thru the reviews and recommendations, I see Onkyo HTS3100 and 3200 and Yahaha 195 best bet although I am more inclined towards Onkyo 3200 that the other 2.

1. So, is there any other combination that would be suitable for the budget (25K). I read Denon/Yamaha + Polk Audio combination somewhere, but not sure of the specifications or budget.

2. I tried finding 3200 at various places including Croma and Ezone in Pune, but only 3100 was available, price I think about 21K. Any idea where would 3200 be available in Pune and at what price?
And is 21K a reasonable price for 3100. What should be apx street price and available where in Pune?

3. Can the above HTiB used to connect to a mp3 player/Ipod ?

4. What all accesories will I need to have the setup completed ? Wires, hooks, stands, racks, brackets ?

Thanks to all, appreciate your good work
Regards
Rohit

Hello Rohit,

Last month I bought hts 3200 for 25k in Bangalore.

I m quite satisfied with the performance.

Hts 3100 u cn get for 17-18k in bangalore.

Yht 195's receiver is realy good but the speakers sucks.

Whereas in HTS 3200 I can assure you a better speaker performance than YHT 195.

The choice is up to you and your ear is the best judge.

Denon DHT 390 is also you can have a look if u extend yr budget to 30k.

For hts 3200 there is no provision to attach to brackets.

So even i m puzzling how to do it.

U will not be provided with any Brackets with the box.

The wire given along with the box is very short so you have to decide on that.

let me know once u buy the system and its performance

:)

Last edited:
one of the posts mentions 3200 @ 21.5 K..but not the location/city ? any idea anyone for Pune or even Mumbai ? it looks its cheaper down south..

called up AVXellence..available for 25K..Onkyo 3200.
Anyone has any idea if it is available for less anywhere else in Pune ?

Hi rohit,

You have not mentioned your room size. If it is around 150+sf the Onkyos you mentioned will suffice. As praveen has mentioned yamaha speakers does not enjoy a good reputation world over. If you buy Onkyo you can always upgrade the fronts with some good bookshelves later as i have done.But dont expect to hear good music thro the Onkyos. For movies they are certainly VFM.

cheers,
sri

thanks sri..as i had mentioned..would be almost mostly used for TV/DVD..so no music is ok..room size is apx 150..so that is good as well..

think will go with 3200..just confirming whether 25K is okay price or if available for less somewhere in Pune..

Hi rohit,
The 3100 is going for around 22k here in Chennai. So the price of 3200 must be around 24-25. As i have no idea about the Pune market i can't help you much. Try hard to bargain and bring the price to 23-24k.

If you have DTH and planning to connect it to the AVR, set Neo cinema 6 when you watch TV channels. Star Movies,WB,MGM will give very good surround sound while watching movies.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi rohit,
The 3100 is going for around 22k here in Chennai. So the price of 3200 must be around 24-25. As i have no idea about the Pune market i can't help you much. Try hard to bargain and bring the price to 23-24k.

If you have DTH and planning to connect it to the AVR, set Neo cinema 6 when you watch TV channels. Star Movies,WB,MGM will give very good surround sound while watching movies.

cheers,
sri

Vijays Sales in Mumbai is offering 3200 @ 25K with Philips 3256 DVD player free. Just saw add in todays Mumbai Mirror.

thanks for the infor sunyapu..it means, there may be some room for negotiations still..but it is surprising that Vijay Sales in Pune are not carrying Onkyo.. i went to Baner Rd branch today..only a few..mostly Yamaha and Phillips..no Onkyo at all.. dont know why..

the thought had indeed crossed my mind..but it looks the guy is in way down south..so cant afford that..not worth it..time wise and savings wise as well..and you never know..it may be second hand or demo piece or the dealer may be ripping him another ways...

but may be a trip to Mumbai may be worth while..

Hello Rohit,
I was told that both 3200/3100 have passive sub"s . I have used ONKYO HTIB earlier and had enough experience with HTIBs .My sincere advise to you is not to go after the HTIBs which have passive SUBs.
Later on you end up with selling them or exchanging them at a loss.
Regards.

hi krishna,
thanks for your advise. but, could you or anyone else let me know, in a nutshell, the difference between passive and active sub ?

i am a complete newbie..for me, a HT ia a HT..
and ppl have been recommending 3200 all around..is it not good ?

ok..from wiki..

'Active subwoofers' include their own dedicated amplifiers within the cabinet. Some also include user-adjustable equalization that allows boosted or reduced output at particular frequencies; these vary from a simple "boost" switch, to fully parametric equalizers meant for detailed speaker and room correction. Some such systems are even supplied with a calibrated microphone to measure the subwoofer's in-room response, so the automatic equalizer can correct the combination of subwoofer, subwoofer location, and room response to minimize effects of room modes and improve low frequency performance.

'Passive subwoofers' have a subwoofer driver and enclosure, but they do not include an amplifier. They sometimes incorporate internal passive crossovers, with the filter frequency determined at the factory. These are generally used with third-party power amplifiers, taking their inputs from active crossovers earlier in the signal chain. While few high-end home-theater systems use passive subwoofers, this format is still popular in the professional sound industry.[10] Using a passive subwoofer adds flexibility for the user, because the user can select which type of amplifier (Class AB or Class D, for example); brand of amplifier; or features (e.g., limiting to prevent distortion) that they want to use with their speaker or speakers.

but, so what is the practical difference between ther two ?

Hello Rohit,
What wiki told is correct . The fact when a passive subwoofer if used in the with the AV receivers such as Onkyo 3200/3100 which are entry level receivers the problem lies at the distribution levels of frequencies . Sound at frequencies around 50 TO 130 Hertz are reproduced by the sub woofers which frequencies require more power from the amplifier to the driver unit of the speaker and for more clarity mid and high frequencies are used to drive centre , surround and front speakers which are around 150 Hertz to 45 K.Hertz. Lower frequencies are of Higher amplitudes and vice versa.
To have a greater clarity you have to increase the out put level of the speakers other than the sub , where much of the amplified power is taken away from the sub and vice versa . A balancing is very difficult and you have to compromise at some level . A powered sub woofer will answer to this problem which have a dedicated amplifier.
Regards.

Hi ,
Which one to choose between 3100(Rs 20K) and 3200(25 K)? I found only difference is the Audyssey Features of 3200.Since my budget is tight , I am inclined towards 3100. Is there any other differences which are worth 5K ?

Hi ,
Which one to choose between 3100(Rs 20K) and 3200(25 K)? I found only difference is the Audyssey Features of 3200.Since my budget is tight , I am inclined towards 3100. Is there any other differences which are worth 5K ?

Audyssey Features is handy,but not worth for 5k.
Else try for finance opt.

Onkyo 3100/3105 available @ 16K
need to check the price of 3200.....

Only 3100 is available here in my town.... m planning to buy a Onkyo HT in 2 weeks time form bangalore.....

Thanks for the Active Passive jargon... it will help me...

my budget 25K MAX

Herez my AV equipments

Room Size - 14' X 16'

50" Plasma LG LQ30
TATA SKY PLUS
WDTV + 2X500 GB HDD
Wii

guys please help me with options....

HTIB
Onkyo HT-S3105 (Black)
Onkyo HT-S3200
Onkyo HT-S5205

Or Buy AVR

Onkyo HT-R370 or Onkyo TX-SR307

and add JAMO SPEAKERS .....

Guys please help... with the latest price also....

I ll buy it from Bangalore...

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back