Onkyo 3200 advice needed regarding everything

leftysax

Ok. So I picked up an Onkyo 3200 HTIB for Rs. 23,000. Ive brought it home and hooked it up to my set-top box (Tata Sky) and HTPC.
The first KLPD I got was that the receiver does not accept PC video. So Ive routed the video directly to my HDTV via HDMI.
The audio goes from the HTPC to the receiver via a Stereo RCA cable. Im pretty sure there is a better way to route sound from my HTPC to the receiver. As far as I can tell, my HTPC also has optical and component. Which one should I use for best sound quality? Im thoroughly confused.
Also, Ive got composite cables running from the set-top box to the receiver. And another set of composite cables from the receiver to the TV. Is there any better option?
Any help at all will be repaid in the form of blessings that could lead to a healthy sex life.

You can connect DTH video directly to TV & audio to AVR.
If you dont use AVR always with DTH,then connect TV sound out(if present)to AVR so you can enjoy either way.

Now connect HTPC to 3200 with coax(component as you said)digital out to AVR.So you can get true 5.1 out of DVD/mkv rips.
AVR dont have 5.1 analoge in I suppose.

Hey Spiro...this is damn confusing man...are you sure coaxial and component are the same thing? I thought coaxial was digital and component was analogue...i could be mistaken....damn my low IQ.

Hey Spiro...this is damn confusing man...are you sure coaxial and component are the same thing? I thought coaxial was digital and component was analogue...i could be mistaken....damn my low IQ.

Coaxial is RCA type connection for digital out put(see on DVDp)
Component are 3 RCA cables(like av cables)for video connection)
You said your HTPC has optical & componet out? for audio.
Do you meen opt & coax?

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your thread but as it is regarding Onkyo 3200 I could not stop myself from posting.

Guys:
Does this Onkyo 3200 play DVDs? or is it just a receiver to decode audio signal. Reason I am asking this is, I have HTIB in mind which has decent 5.1 audio setup and a HDMI-USB DVD player from Philips. So I can take Onkyo as one stop solution for audio + HDMI upscaling + USB movies ?

Sorry to hijack your thread but as it is regarding Onkyo 3200 I could not stop myself from posting.

Guys:
Does this Onkyo 3200 play DVDs? or is it just a receiver to decode audio signal. Reason I am asking this is, I have HTIB in mind which has decent 5.1 audio setup and a HDMI-USB DVD player from Philips. So I can take Onkyo as one stop solution for audio + HDMI upscaling + USB movies ?

Just a receiver with speakers.

UPDATE: I couldn't make head or tail of all the different kinds of connectors and all the jargon. Luckily, Onkyo sent over someone to set up the receiver. So now this is the final wiring schematic.
HTPC Audio --> Receiver (Bandridge Optical Audio Cable)
HTPC Video --> HDTV (HDMI Cable)
DVD Player Audio --> Receiver (Digital Coaxial Cable)
DVD Player Video --> HDTV (HDMI Cable)
STB Audio and Video --> HDTV --> Receiver (RCA Stereo Cable from Sound Out port)

There's still one issue. The cables for the Onkyo 3200 rears seem to be too short. The Onkyo dude suggested buying longer 'Oxygen 3' cables as replacements. Has anyone heard of these cables?

I am using 14awg local but Taiwan made OFC for 70/m.
Hey Spiro, this OFC.....is that 'Oxygen Free Cable?' I guess that's what i need. Where in mumbai did u pick them up from?
Thanx buddy

Been on a quest to find budget speaker stands for my Onkyo 3200 rears. Any ideas where i can get these stands in mumbai?
Or should i just build my own?

Sorry for delayed response,
if you still loking for OFC cables,I got it from Lamington Rd.

Dont know budget stands,but spk stands can be available @ Lakozy.

Wall mount em, stuff like that dosnt make sense to put on stands, they look nice on walls. just using casing to route the wire. My wires run through the wall, got em done when place was being made.

Spiro and cor - Thanks for your response.
Cor - love your setup
Are you sure wall mounting the rears won't affect the sound?

Last edited:
Looks like I have to mount them on the rear wall. If i do that, should i rotate/tilt the speakers towards the sweet spot or should i leave them facing straight out (perpendicular to the rear wall) or pointing at each other?
And, what's the best place to buy wall brackets in mumbai? I doubt croma or vijay sales stock wall brackets.

UPDATE: Purchased 16 AWG (1.5mm) Bandridge OFC Speaker Cable. Cost was Rs. 69 per metre. So far i have installed this cable on my fronts and centre only. Tried playing some FLAC files and the Matrix HD MKV. It is a vast improvement. Overall, the system sounds much meatier.
Now for the questions: Should i use the same cable for the sub? And is it ok if the cable lengths for the rears don't match?

Long Term Usage Update - Insane! Its been 4 years! I've used my set almost every day in that period. Never had a problem. Its connected to my Panny Plasma, Hackintosh, PS3 and TittySky HD. Blasted Transformers (2007) again yesterday...it put a big ass smile on my face :cool:
Onkyo - Full Respect!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back