onkyo 606 preout...

suprateep

hi guys i was feelign a lil down with the connection options of an onkyo 606 with an preamp (like say a Norge 100o or even a NAD 325BEE) - no preouts as such.

But the thing is I came across the website and manual that says it has R/L line outs for zone 2 (yes it exists on the back of the receiver).

Can i use that as a feed to an preamp like the ones mentioned above - I am not 100% sure. Anyone seen somethign like this in action. the manual clearly says that this can be used to feed an amp in zone 2. I can hence connect it to the back of my onkyo, keep all the connections of cd player etc on the avr and route stereo to the amp as required when its on zone 2.

Only thing is i keep the av receiver on mute when the stereo amp is on - slightly higher power output - but what the hell. Connection nirvana.

Guys suggestions????

hi guys i was feelign a lil down with the connection options of an onkyo 606 with an preamp (like say a Norge 100o or even a NAD 325BEE) - no preouts as such.

But the thing is I came across the website and manual that says it has R/L line outs for zone 2 (yes it exists on the back of the receiver).

Can i use that as a feed to an preamp like the ones mentioned above - I am not 100% sure. Anyone seen somethign like this in action. the manual clearly says that this can be used to feed an amp in zone 2. I can hence connect it to the back of my onkyo, keep all the connections of cd player etc on the avr and route stereo to the amp as required when its on zone 2.

Only thing is i keep the av receiver on mute when the stereo amp is on - slightly higher power output - but what the hell. Connection nirvana.

Guys suggestions????

Hi,
Generally the Zone 2 outs are line-level, which I suspect it is in this case as well, so you would not need another pre-amp stage. Get a good power amp and hook it up to the Zone 2 line outs and control it with the receiver.

Hi,
Generally the Zone 2 outs are line-level, which I suspect it is in this case as well, so you would not need another pre-amp stage. Get a good power amp and hook it up to the Zone 2 line outs and control it with the receiver.

any power amp you would suggest in a limited budget. I have missions upfront which can take in a power amp easily. Does a power amp also have a sound signature like an preamp. So how would I know how the setup sounds like. The sound is pretty laid back when i play stereo in pure mode through Onlyo and the missions. Was hoping on the Norge as a VFM solution or a NAD 325BEE on the upper end of my budget.

Last edited:
any power amp you would suggest in a limited budget. I have missions upfront which can take in a power amp easily. Does a power amp also have a sound signature like an preamp. So how would I know how the setup sounds like. The sound is pretty laid back when i play stereo in pure mode through Onlyo and the missions. Was hoping on the Norge as a VFM solution or a NAD 325BEE on the upper end of my budget.

IMHO, each amp would sound different from the other in varying degrees. If it was me, I'd probably give both the Norge and the NAD a listen and decide which I'd prefer. I am not sure of any cheap power amp that's available in India though you could try getting a used piece...

My suggestion, instead of all the complexity of using zone 2 and associated costs, buy a cheap integrated and you will be more than happy.

yes i was thinking on the same lines.....
Norge here I come. Nad 355......you are way too expensive here in India

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back