Onkyo 608 vs YAmaha 667 Side by Side Feature comparision

when the power spec says 90w per channel, it basically means 90w per channel with just 1 channel driven. Some specs do mention explicitly that 90w per channel (all channels driven). When you power on all the 7 channels, the power rating of each channel drops. I believe most of the AVRs (not all, dont flame me for this if your fav AVR doesnt do this:)) follow this method to boost their power ratings.

I was using 5 channels from my 663. Then I used the remaining two channels for biamping the fronts. Immediately I could feel a reduction in power. I was getting much lesser volume now as compared to earlier across all speakers.

In addition to what Doors said, different countries have different rules for showing the specifications. Manufacturers misuse this to their advantage. It could be xx watts per channel, two channels driven; or; it could be xx watts per channel, two channels drives into x ohms, and so on.

At the end of the day, the manufacturers also have to show low electricity consumption figures. To do this they take advantage of the assumption that one never drives all 5 or 7 channels to identical levels of power.

When this is done in a lab, all AVR figures have been proven to be incorrect.

Cheers

Onkyo mostly gives all ch driven & is close to actual.Yamaha always give 100w fronts + 100w Centre..That is all are not driven at same times.
I checked current used & Onkyo says around 604A, Denon 5.5A(1910) & yamaha must be less.

I found the below article on one review in the following link, which makes me feel that the rating per channel should not be a matter of concern if it is around 90/100 Watts per channel specified without mentioning of that is all channel or 1-2 channels

3D Receivers shoot-out: Denon AVR-1911, Pioneer VSX-1020-K, Onkyo TX-SR608 | HyperSensory.com

go to the very end and check what the site admin has posted, I am quoting it below

While one receiver may be rated at 90watt and another at 110watt, some assume that the rating assumes all channels driven. This is not true, which is of course misleading. Yet, there is almost never a case when all channels need to be driven at full power. No movie or especially music track (as most of them are done in stereo) try to drive speakers at full power on all channels. And no one would listen to such material at full volume either. This fact makes the ratings almost meaningless. In truth, there is only one reason to have those ratings - to ensure that when you buy speakers or receiver, you are able to drive the speakers to a desired volume level without risking damaging speakers or equipment. I have a new 7.1 90watt Denon and some pretty decent full tower speakers rated at 250watt MAX. Yet, I have never needed to turn the volume knob more than 2/3 of the way. It just gets ridiculously loud after that. Of course this also depends on your speaker efficiency, but still - for most installations a 90watt receiver will drive a full set of speakers at desired volume without clipping or going into protection mode (given enough air-flow and following installation recommendations).

Yes thats very true that no one uses full volume mostly.One may need upto 60w per ch for regular movie watching.

Onkyo mostly gives all ch driven & is close to actual.Yamaha always give 100w fronts + 100w Centre..That is all are not driven at same times.
I checked current used & Onkyo says around 604A, Denon 5.5A(1910) & yamaha must be less.

How and where did you check these?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back