Onkyo 608 vs YAmaha 667 Side by Side Feature comparision

haisaikat

Hi,
In my pursuit to compare the features only of Yamaha 667 vs Onkyo 608 I have created a google doc spreadsheet with public access (anyone can edit, no sign in or google account required to modify content). I have tried to take the features listed on respective manufacturer website and place them side by side to come to a feature wise conclusion of the two (Verdict column). However a lot of items I could not match since I am not familiar with a few terms. Request you all to please review the mis-matches and the existing matches and provide your feedback in the Comment column of the spreadsheet. If you modify any row (Comment / Verdict / Feature Description) please make sure to put your user id in the Last Modified By column and notify by replying in this thread.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao9zeo9a-4TRdHIzMEtSaVdVNTRjYVB3cjE3eWhCSGc&hl=en&authkey=CPK9258O

The objective of this is to of-course help myself in terms of feature comparison but more importantly if someone is looking for any specific feature then he will able able to know which one works best, at least it will be better than trusting those dumb salespersons and realizing things post purchase.

Thanks in advance. If this works out then we can extend this for other models as well. Once gain please note that you do not need to have google account or sign-in for modifying the spreadsheet. Anyone with the link can modify, please handle with care :)

Last edited:
IMO allmost both offer same features,though onkyo has been more preffered on this forum but my vote goes for yamaha 667, not that because i have one but because its sound quality is better than onkyo. if u prefer 50:50 for music and movies then yammy is the right choice.Alos yamaha is less fussy abt upscaling video.

IMO allmost both offer same features,though onkyo has been more preffered on this forum but my vote goes for yamaha 667, not that because i have one but because its sound quality is better than onkyo. if u prefer 50:50 for music and movies then yammy is the right choice.Alos yamaha is less fussy abt upscaling video.

Thanks for replying. Can you comment on one of the reviews regarding 667 where it was said that the 667 upscales non HDMI sources to HDMI but existing HDMI sources above 480p like 720 or 1080i are not upconverted to 1080p, they are only converted to 1080i at the max?

Terminology understanding would vary from one person to another. Suggest, 'hear' both yourself to understand better.

^^How much better would be an Onkyo for movies? Also, on what all fronts?

For comparison on paper I believe you should see the comparison I am trying to put up on the post in this thread earlier but I agree that you have to hear it yourself before making a final decision, the paperwork can help you assist to some extent before you go to a shop.

In my pursuit to compare the features only of Yamaha 667 vs Onkyo 608 I have created a google doc spreadsheet with public access ......

You seem to be biased towards the Yamaha. Wherever it has an advantage or is equal, you have highlighted that. Where Onkyo has an obvious advantage, you seem to have had memory loss. :):lol:

Cheers

Thanks for replying. Can you comment on one of the reviews regarding 667 where it was said that the 667 upscales non HDMI sources to HDMI but existing HDMI sources above 480p like 720 or 1080i are not upconverted to 1080p, they are only converted to 1080i at the max?

yes ,it does not further upscale incoming 720p or 1080i signals to 1080p. In other words, if you have an incoming 720p or 1080i signal via Component or HDMI inputs, the output signal from the RX-V667 is not processed further. Just to add from whathifi review
"Yamaha is talented across a range of disciplines while maintaining one of the most distinctive sonic presentations in its class"
But in end my suggestion would be, pls do audition both and check the features you are interested in.
thanks

You seem to be biased towards the Yamaha. Wherever it has an advantage or is equal, you have highlighted that. Where Onkyo has an obvious advantage, you seem to have had memory loss. :):lol:

Cheers

That is why I have made this open for all. Please correct it in the spreadsheet and update accordingly. Scaling limitation of the yamaha is something that I will add over this weekend.

Last edited:
So Onkyo comes very close to its actual power.
Now I am surprised,will Yamaha 667 be actually so powerfull as specifications says poer consuption is 400w? How can it derive rest of the power?

After the xx3 series, Yamaha has continued to be silly with it's power supplies. It goofed up completely in the xx5 series, and does not seem to be doing too well with the xx7 series. Many magazines and on-line forums have been commenting on the power unit problems in the Yamaha AVRs. I do hope they learn and go back to what they did with the xx3 series.

Cheers

Is power consumption directly related to power output ? I mean to say , does it need to consume the same amount of power as output ?

Law of Conservation of Energy - the amp cannot output more energy than it consumes.

In fact I believe the yardstick is that power supplies should be rated for up to 1.5 times the rated output - for better life for the power supply and to allow for dynamic peaks in power output.

If I recall correctly the power requirements vary with frequency, as the speaker impedance changes with frequency and the lower the speaker impedance the higher the power it draws.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back