Onkyo AVR DD DTS onboard Decode.

arunbangalore

Hi AV experts,

Finally got the HT-S5100(B) - Came in a huge box :), Could not carry it in my car (Zen) and got it delivered by the dealer.

I checked out the 3 models, HT-S3105(B), HT-S5105 (B) and HT-S5100(B).

HT-S3105(B)(5.1) - 19.5 K + Philips DVD(no HDMI) free. If DVD Player not required 2 K discount - Was not very impressed as the quality was bad.

HT-S3105(B)(5.1) - 30K (No Free DVD player) - Good quality when seeing movies, But was average when music was played.

HT-S5105 (B)(7.1) - 36K - Liked what I heard for both Movies and music and purchased the same.

Set it up for 5.1 and sounds great for both movies and Music. Not all that huge after removing from the package.

Had an product demonstration and the demonstration was way below average, He just showed me how to adjusted the speaker setup (db) and said that's the demo is all about, was not at all impressed.

anyway that is not the point as I had already installed the system myself and was working fine, The reason why I had to call for product demonstration was I had some doubts on the inbuilt decoders and when contacted their call center, they asked me to have a demo done, really waste of my time.
Hence I would like to put the question to you guys here whom I am sure are more knowledgeable.

I have connected my DVD optical out to AV's Optical in (CD), I play an Dolby Digital movie, even though I am able to hear the effects, Why is that I am not able to see the Dolby Digital decode in the front display. I have my sound setting to All Channel St setting. If I change the same to DD prologic PLII I am able to see the Dolby Digital light up in the front panel and when I select Neo6 I am able to see the DTS, This I presume is the way the sound is mixed.

So the question is is the All Channel stereo setting correct for movies and how do I know if my AV is indeed doing Dolby Digital or DTS decoding as expected.

I am using an orginal DVD movie which supports Dolby Digital, Not checked on DTS as none of the Indian DVD come with DTS and am not sure the one available locally are really DTS track.

Any help or pointers is appreciated and it would remove the confusion I been having from the time I have got this system.

Thanks

Arun

Not sure but maybe you need to enable bitstream out on your dvd player setup menu to dolby didgital as some players tend to downmix as set by default.

I have connected my DVD optical out to AV's Optical in (CD),

In addition to what Audiodelic has said, check you connectivity, See if your
AVR has a <DVD In> port and use that instead of <CD In>.

In your DVD Player, set the output to RAW format (or Bitstream) so that all the processing is done by the AVR. That way the AVR will recognise the signal that is coming in.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi AV experts,

Finally got the HT-S5100(B) - Came in a huge box :), Could not carry it in my car (Zen) and got it delivered by the dealer.

I checked out the 3 models, HT-S3105(B), HT-S5105 (B) and HT-S5100(B).

HT-S3105(B)(5.1) - 19.5 K + Philips DVD(no HDMI) free. If DVD Player not required 2 K discount - Was not very impressed as the quality was bad.

HT-S3105(B)(5.1) - 30K (No Free DVD player) - Good quality when seeing movies, But was average when music was played.

HT-S5105 (B)(7.1) - 36K - Liked what I heard for both Movies and music and purchased the same.

Set it up for 5.1 and sounds great for both movies and Music. Not all that huge after removing from the package.

Had an product demonstration and the demonstration was way below average, He just showed me how to adjusted the speaker setup (db) and said that's the demo is all about, was not at all impressed.

anyway that is not the point as I had already installed the system myself and was working fine, The reason why I had to call for product demonstration was I had some doubts on the inbuilt decoders and when contacted their call center, they asked me to have a demo done, really waste of my time.
Hence I would like to put the question to you guys here whom I am sure are more knowledgeable.

I have connected my DVD optical out to AV's Optical in (CD), I play an Dolby Digital movie, even though I am able to hear the effects, Why is that I am not able to see the Dolby Digital decode in the front display. I have my sound setting to All Channel St setting. If I change the same to DD prologic PLII I am able to see the Dolby Digital light up in the front panel and when I select Neo6 I am able to see the DTS, This I presume is the way the sound is mixed.

So the question is is the All Channel stereo setting correct for movies and how do I know if my AV is indeed doing Dolby Digital or DTS decoding as expected.

I am using an orginal DVD movie which supports Dolby Digital, Not checked on DTS as none of the Indian DVD come with DTS and am not sure the one available locally are really DTS track.

Any help or pointers is appreciated and it would remove the confusion I been having from the time I have got this system.

Thanks

Arun

Hi Arun,

A few questions first off. What cables are you using? Only a digital coaxial/optical or HDMI will enable Dolby Digital and DTS. Otherwise the AVR will take 2 channel and process it into 5 channel in the modes like Neo and PLII so that's not true 5.1. RCA cables are a no go for this reason and you have to invest in a good digital audio cable. Also the RCA cable will go into the CD, DVD, Tape inputs on the AVR, but a coaxial/optical will have a different input labeled the same and will not be compatible with the CD, DVD, Tape inputs on the AVR.

Also in your Onkyo remote in the "Listening Mode" section you will need to select "Surround" for the Dolby Digital and DTS modes to be selected. These are not available on the "Stereo" section.

Also in your Onkyo AVR press the "Display Input" button so that coaxial/optical, HDMI is highlighted and displayed to ensure the correct input is being taken by the AVR.

Let me know if this helps. It should since I had same issues with my Onkyo and nobody really tells you that a digital audio cable is a must. I was running my system on RCA cables for the first couple of days and not really "getting" Dolby Digital and DTS on my system.

Hi Arun,

A few questions first off. What cables are you using? Only a digital coaxial/optical or HDMI will enable Dolby Digital and DTS. Otherwise the AVR will take 2 channel and process it into 5 channel in the modes like Neo and PLII so that's not true 5.1. RCA cables are a no go for this reason and you have to invest in a good digital audio cable. Also the RCA cable will go into the CD, DVD, Tape inputs on the AVR, but a coaxial/optical will have a different input labeled the same and will not be compatible with the CD, DVD, Tape inputs on the AVR.

Also in your Onkyo remote in the "Listening Mode" section you will need to select "Surround" for the Dolby Digital and DTS modes to be selected. These are not available on the "Stereo" section.

Also in your Onkyo AVR press the "Display Input" button so that coaxial/optical, HDMI is highlighted and displayed to ensure the correct input is being taken by the AVR.

Let me know if this helps. It should since I had same issues with my Onkyo and nobody really tells you that a digital audio cable is a must. I was running my system on RCA cables for the first couple of days and not really "getting" Dolby Digital and DTS on my system.

RCA cables (I guess u mean audio cables) are not any different from digital coaxial cables.

The difference is in format of the data (analog for for what u call as RCA and digital for digital coaxial) that they carry and and hence there seems to be a confusion. Technically they are one and the same.

RCA is actually a type of connector - it is used by both formats analog audio and digital coaxial. It is actually used even in video connection (composite/component).

Hi Arun,
Congrats for your new purchase.
As venkat had told already check whether the output from your DVD is in PCM-RAW output.
The Onkyo Avr automatically senses the input signal whether it's DD or DTS.
Also the menu in the dvd disc has language, subtitles.. option in which you can select DD or DTS.
And instead use the Optical in for DVD in you avr and use a good quality optical cable.

And did you try the Audyssey EQ.
Do let us know how you feel about the sound quality and the effect.Many of us are very eager to know...
Once again Congrats & have fun...:)

Samuel:cool:

RCA cables (I guess u mean audio cables) are not any different from digital coaxial cables.

The difference is in format of the data (analog for for what u call as RCA and digital for digital coaxial) that they carry and and hence there seems to be a confusion. Technically they are one and the same.

RCA is actually a type of connector - it is used by both formats analog audio and digital coaxial. It is actually used even in video connection (composite/component).

Thanks amol for letting me know. I meant the audio cables. Just that I did not know the difference when I started out and I did not have Dolby Digital or DTS on my Onkyo and was thinking the Neo and PLII modes were it. Only when I read and learnt more did I know better to get a digital coaxial cable and ended up with Dolby and DTS on my HT.

Thanks amol for letting me know. I meant the audio cables. Just that I did not know the difference when I started out and I did not have Dolby Digital or DTS on my Onkyo and was thinking the Neo and PLII modes were it. Only when I read and learnt more did I know better to get a digital coaxial cable and ended up with Dolby and DTS on my HT.

I am sure if you replace the digital coaxial cable with a audio cable, these modes will still work.

I am sure if you replace the digital coaxial cable with a audio cable, these modes will still work.

Hi amol,

That's precisely the point I am making. The modes will not work with an RCA cable. They will only work with a digital audio cable. I can confirm this from personal experience and from the user manual that came along with the Onkyo system. I quote "The Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your DVD player is connected to the AV receiver with a digital audio connection (coaxial or optical)." Also per the Onkyo user manual, Dolby Pro Logic II and Neo modes only upmix 2 channel to 5.1.

My DVD player is Philips and they don't have optical so that was ruled out for me. My Onkyo is HT-S3100 i.e. entry level so its without HDMI unless I upgrade the AVR. Only option left for me and what I went with was a coaxial cable.

Hey Guys,

Thanks , The RAW setting on the DVD player worked, Now the AVR is able to decode both DD and DTS. The sound is much more clear and sharp now and sounds fantastic.

Audyssey EQ - I have not yet done that, Planning to do the same this week end will let you know how it goes.

Thanks once again and you guys have been great help.

Regards

Arun

Hi amol,

I quote "The Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your DVD player is connected to the AV receiver with a digital audio connection (coaxial or optical)."

Hi moserw
This talks about connection (the digital coaxial output on the DVD player). What you are talking about is the "connector" and the same can be used without any issues. Technically both the audio cables and digital coaxial cables have same construction ("coaxial") and end points (RCA). How can the DVD player or AVR automatically know what connector you have used?

Hi moserw
This talks about connection (the digital coaxial output on the DVD player). What you are talking about is the "connector" and the same can be used without any issues. Technically both the audio cables and digital coaxial cables have same construction ("coaxial") and end points (RCA). How can the DVD player or AVR automatically know what connector you have used?

Hi amol,

Hmmm. I am not much of a techie person to begin with. Not sure I know or can even comment on whether the cables have the same construction. Probably you know better. I can only say that when I used the default RCA cables/connectors we get with the DVD player they were only outputting 2 channel, but when I connected a digital coaxial cable the AVR was outputting 5.1 in Dolby and DTS.

Anyways thanks for pointing it out. I will go ahead and read up more about the different types of cables and connectors. Thanks go Google Maharaj everything is available online these days.

Well Guys,

Finally was able to use the Audessey 2 EQ setup and the sound is much clear and crisp now, even the Dynamic EQ works great. The sound quality and dialogue has improved a lot and the difference can be seen when you switch the Equalizer between Audessy and Off. Fantastic sound improvment.

Thanks Guys , I think I have done for some time now, Any idea when I can find original DVD's with DTS in Bangalore.

Thanks

Arun

arunbangalore,

Let me know if you can source them in Bangalore. Will be very much interested in them myself especially DTS and DTS ES DVDs of Hollywood movies.

Hi amol,

Hmmm. I am not much of a techie person to begin with. Not sure I know or can even comment on whether the cables have the same construction. Probably you know better. I can only say that when I used the default RCA cables/connectors we get with the DVD player they were only outputting 2 channel, but when I connected a digital coaxial cable the AVR was outputting 5.1 in Dolby and DTS.

Anyways thanks for pointing it out. I will go ahead and read up more about the different types of cables and connectors. Thanks go Google Maharaj everything is available online these days.

As far as i know:-
Regular RCA cables are not same as digital coaxial cable.

Digital Coaial and RGB Component cables are 75 ohm cables for higher bandwidth.
Audio cables/Composite video/Regular RCA cables are not 75 ohm.

Which would also explain the price difference between component/coaxial cables vs. regular RCA type used for composite video.

Hey Guys,

Thanks , The RAW setting on the DVD player worked, Now the AVR is able to decode both DD and DTS. The sound is much more clear and sharp now and sounds fantastic.

Audyssey EQ - I have not yet done that, Planning to do the same this week end will let you know how it goes.

Thanks once again and you guys have been great help.

Regards

Arun

Hi,

Can you give detail review of Your system?
I wld like to know Stereo SQ with supplied Bookshelfs.Vocals,Bass & Treble.
Even your movie experience.
As I know sat doesnt hve tweeters,does it make any difference?

arunbangalore,

Let me know if you can source them in Bangalore. Will be very much interested in them myself especially DTS and DTS ES DVDs of Hollywood movies.

Hi ,I found DTs 6.1 on Xmen 3rd part,even Lord of the Rings DVD.
They r available in Planet M.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back