Onkyo HT-3100 VS HT-5100

navinkaus

Earlier I decide to buy onkyo HT-3100 as it fits into by budget. But when I read the specification of HT-5100 I found that it has HDMI which HT-3100 does not have. Now thing is, I am buying next week HDMI LCD,DVD PLAYER. We know that right now India does not have HD contents, but let's say after 2 years HD contents are available in India, that time if my home theatre is not having HDMI feature then video will be HD but audio won't.

My concern is HT-3100 is available just for Rs19,990 with DVD player free, but just for HDMI, I don't want to go for HT-5100 which is very costly.

What do you suggest should I go for HT-3100 or HT-5100 considering the fact that my budget allows currently for HT-3100 as I am buying LCD also.

Navin,
I am also a beginner to all these. But as far as I know, the HDMI in 5100 is just HDMI video switching, no HDMI audio processing. For audio you have to depend on Coaxial or optical or analog inputs. The one plus point I feel would be the presence of Powered subwoofer in 5100 whereas in 3100 it is passive. You have to checkout in person to see how different the experince is.

I think it will just allow you to give multiple inputs (say DVD player, Gaming device etc) and will let you select one for your TV as the output. Please seek help from experts.

What is the benefit of video switching, I mean HT-3100 does not has HDMI so what is the disadvantage ?

Simply paying more for HDMI is not grate.Video processing,upscaling is not done then whats use?

Powersub is key factor,but you can upgrade to powersub for 3100 later.

Please don't laugh if it is a stupid question

How can I increase the powersub later on ?

Also is there any other good home theatre system like yamaha, jamo etc between Rs20-25k available in India ?

Thanks,
Navin

Please don't laugh if it is a stupid question

How can I increase the powersub later on ?

Also is there any other good home theatre system like yamaha, jamo etc between Rs20-25k available in India ?

Thanks,
Navin

Simple,

If you observe back of powersub,you will notice few inputs.
There will be input for speaker in(high level input)

These are for connecting Amp's speaker output.Subwoofer then selects lower frequency(as we wish) and amplify as deep bass.
Rest of freqs are send out by sub as Highline output ultimately to front speakers.

In simple way-

Onkyo AVR(3100)> front speaker output of AVR (Lt & Rt)> Powersub High line input> sub speaker output> Front speakers (Lt & Rt)

Only you have to select Front spks as Large & cancel sub from avr settings.

Hi,
HT-5100 not only having HDMI switching. It has a total power output of 1200W RMS. It's a 7.1 system so you will get 130W/channel x 7 and a powered subwoofer with 290W RMS output. It also has lot of source inputs which can be swithced out as preferred. S-video INPUT/OUTPUT is an added advantage.

If I am anything wrong please update.

Thanks,
Somu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back