Onkyo HT-3100 VS Onkyon HT-5100

dear navinkaus
kindly give me the shop name also telephone number,or website i talk to shop persons if he send to kolkata ,hts 3105 in black ,

Got the address from the Onkyo website, but no telephone number.

E-Zone-Home Solutions Retail (India) Ltd.,
Orchid Point,
Opp. VIP Market,
Kakurgachi,
Kolkata

Somen, I would recommend you check out malls/electronic superstores for deals. If you go to Onkyo direct they will sell the products without any deals or discounts. I picked up an Onkyo HT3100 for 19K along with a Philips DVD player costing around 3.5 to 4K thrown in free and a Philips coaxial cable costing Rs. 900 free too. That itself reduced the cost of the Onkyo to under 15K and mind you the DVD player was something I wanted since I was looking out for a DVD player that played DivX format files and the coaxial cable/optic cable/HDMI cable is a must for a home theater system since using plain RCA cables will not give you true 5.1 sound. Apart from that the store where I purchased Reliance Digital was even offering the Onkyo for 6 months interest free on EMI, but I don't have much details on this.

What's more you can negotiate for freebies or other stuff to be given in the deal in case you don't want a free DVD player or such. I would recommend you check out Reliance, Croma, HomeTown, Ezone, etc. Not sure what's the scene in Kol, but I am sure you will find good deals in malls. Better still if you can hold off till Christmas/New Year. Even I am doing the same and holding off for good deals for a Plasma TV and a PS3 that I want to pick up.

Happy shopping and have a blast with your new HT system!!!

You will get the address of head office that is in chitranjan park at Delhi. From there you can get the number of Gurgaon's store as well as any other part of Inida.

dear
e zone in kolkata ,last september or first week of october ,give this 3100+philips dvd in rs-17,990/-but silver colour i want black ,our kolkata one onkyo shop name =PROMISES,45,shakespeare sarani ,he said 3100 ,is old they have no stock now only 3105b+5105b
3105b is 23000/-
5105b is 34000/-
what i do ? i have sony s32" s400
kindly tell me which is good for me .firstly i am audio lover ,not so much in dvd lover,in a week or two we see mostly 3/5 film not very much we lesseion music
thank you
somen

ha ha ...samething happened with me. Silver color was available cheaply but once I looked Black one, I could not think anymore for silver one. Dealer offered me Rs20K and I bargained it to Rs19K. Believe me black is worth, even people from Onkyo told me it is superior than 3100.

Be prepared, it's not only me which liked black, there is someone else also who liked black alot.....DUST!!!:D

Retail chain does not sell 3105B, he has no choice but to go Onkyo only.

Yeah, that's true for the HT3105 in black. Only thing is he will need to pay full price and walk away without any freebies. Performance wise there is hardly any difference between the HT3100 and the HT3105. In fact the HT5100 would be a better upgrade since it supports HDMI, but even there since it does not do any HDMI processing it does not make any sense paying additional for it when a HDMI from DVD to TV will do it.

I guess more than anything we buy things because we like them and when your heart is set on something then I guess you will not mind paying any cost. It happens with me too all the time.

Somen, more than anything go with what you desire! You will enjoy years of great service from any of the Onkyo models, but finally you will look at it and listen to it so go with what appeals to you.

Somen, if you like music more than movies, then an HTIB is not a good idea, you might be better of investing in a nice stereo amp and speakers. If you're thinking of spending around 30k that can get you a nice budget amp and speakers such as the Cambridge Audio 340A SE (16k) and Wharfedale 9.1 (11k) or 9.2 (14k). You can hook them up to your TV to get good sound also, except it won't be surround, but for music you'll be much much happier.....so think about it. At least try out both and then decide.

dear
e zone in kolkata ,last september or first week of october ,give this 3100+philips dvd in rs-17,990/-but silver colour i want black ,our kolkata one onkyo shop name =PROMISES,45,shakespeare sarani ,he said 3100 ,is old they have no stock now only 3105b+5105b
3105b is 23000/-
5105b is 34000/-
what i do ? i have sony s32" s400
kindly tell me which is good for me .firstly i am audio lover ,not so much in dvd lover,in a week or two we see mostly 3/5 film not very much we lesseion music
thank you
somen

The only advantage I see in this is that the cables will come down with just one HDMI cable taking care of audio and video and another HDMI cable from the Home Theater to the TV. Otherwise you will need a coaxial or optical cable from the DVD player to the Home Theater and another HDMI cable or at least Component Video Cable from DVD player to TV. 10-15K really does not justify the HT5100 over the HT3100.

Hopefully this helps...

I have the same receiver, the HTR 340 !
And thanks a lot for confirming this.
I will directly connect HDMI to TV and then Coax of DVD to HTR 340 !

I got the HT-S590 Gladiator long time back for 30k :( ! Now it sells for 20k i guess. Its same as 3100 but with different looking speakers with same speccs...

And congrats to navin, This set is good for movies ! Amazing and i love it.

Last edited:
And yeah. the music with the SKx 40 Speaker is really bad.
The highs are very poor.
And i believe even the Bass is not that good. Weak bass.

I think this is any day better then the Sony and Samsung low end offering. That DVD+Receiver HT.

Onething I would like to mention:

Best is decided by "BUYER" ( yourself ) not by others (experts), what I mean here is, depending upon your deciding factors best will vary.

For example when we were planning to buy a car, we wanted to have a car with good pickup,nice looks,automatic temperature control etc but with Budget not more than 9 lakhs and mileage was not a consideration. We zeroed elantra and believe me we are happily,fully satisfied owner of that. People say it's a fail product, some say no advertisement etc etc. But we drove at 190 without feeling vibration,over-stressed etc, raced many times and after almost four years still looks as new. Since mileage was not important to us and budget was consideration so we finalized it.

Morale of the story is, Prioritize your factors and go for the product/models which satisfies most of top priority factors.

Above formula will always keep you happy.

dear
i just came to onkyo shop in kolkata ,i tell guy in delhi 3105 =cost 19000/- and 5105 cost=30000, after so much talk they said lastly they give 3105 in 21000/-20500/-in between &5105 give 30000/-
if i buy 3105,also hdmi dvd player sony ns708 cost 4800/-free hdmi cable,i conect sony 32"s400a lcd with dvd hdmi for video +rca for audio to onkyo is it ok or not ,or hdmi cable give both audio +video ,or not.3105+5105 high nearly 10,000 more ,it is woarth if i give 10,000/-what benifet i get from 5105,or what i less get from 3105 ,if i buy ,what i loss,
i buy onkyo next friday i think

somen

Last edited:
hey 5100 is 7.1 ! And has more features like Music Optimizer, double bass etc.

BUT KEEP in MIND, you will need a DTS-HD and Dolby Ture HD decoding DVD Player if you want 7.1 movies in Blu-ray disks to work. Since the AVR does not support both the 7.1 HD decoders.

Last edited:
dear
this model is 5105,
i wrongly typed ,not 5100 is it 5105 thank you
if i have another speaker set up for audio part in onkyo ,[a] for general dvd movie vewing ,is it give any problem
thank you
somen

Then go for HT 3105 !
5105 Has HDMI. And slightly better speakers. And features like Double bass, Music optimizer, Audyssey Dynamic EQ ( not necessary for movies i believe) default Dolby and DTS are good.

I think going for 3105 in this case makes much more VFM.
Also look out for a good HD Upscaling dvd player from Sony or Samsung or LG. It will cost only 5-7k !

HDMI cable is only 600 Rs and 900 Rs for branded. 3105 has no HDMI. You can connect TV to DVD via HDMI and DVD to Onkyo 3105 for sound via Digital Coax or Optical. :)

dear
i like your thinking,one of my friends say pioneer dvd 610 is very goooood ,i try grey market in kolkata,if not get ,ther after i buy sony 708 dvd with free hdmi cable ,
somen:

Hi,
I did an audition of 3100 and 5100 last week at the onkyo authorized dealer in hyderabad. Clearly the 5100 has more clarity and depth. More over the 7.1 setup makes a lot of difference when you watch movies. We actually played the same sequence of music/video on both systems. Also looks like the prices have been revised from nov. I was given a quote of 45k. I am sold on the 5100.

Hi,
I did an audition of 3100 and 5100 last week at the onkyo authorized dealer in hyderabad. Clearly the 5100 has more clarity and depth. More over the 7.1 setup makes a lot of difference when you watch movies. We actually played the same sequence of music/video on both systems. Also looks like the prices have been revised from nov. I was given a quote of 45k. I am sold on the 5100.

Hi,

45K seems a bit high. A friend was saying he was quoted 32K at the Onkyo Authorized Dealer in Hyderabad. I will double check with him once again to be sure.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back