Onkyo HT-S3100 speaker upgrade

sonosphere

Hi,
I am planning to buy Onkyo HT-S3100 Home theatre. I have seen good recommendations for it on web, however it is noted that for punch in music from 100Hz to 300Hz the FRONT speakers are not good enough.

Can anyone suggest which Onkyo speakers to use to upgrade the existing front speakers of this set? I can only buy their speaker range available thru Onkyo-India.

Thanks,
Sonosphere

Last edited:
There is only so much the plasticy satellites can do. Having said that, you do have a sub to assist. From the site, i found this one relatively better than the rest.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

An other option is to pick up an entry level AVR and add a matching speaker package from the wharfedale - cant remember the name, its called Moviestar or something. If you don't mind taking the used stuff route, get in touch with hifipal4all here in the forum. He will help you put together a decent system with in your budget.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference link provided. (That is D-407F 2 Way Bass Reflex Floor standing Speakers) In case my budget doesn't cover them do you think relatively cheaper Bookshelf speakers from Onkyo-India can serve the purpose?

Furthermore if I change only Front speakers, will their "voice" match with the remaining Surround speakers? Pls advice.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference link provided. (That is D-407F 2 Way Bass Reflex Floor standing Speakers) In case my budget doesn't cover them do you think relatively cheaper Bookshelf speakers from Onkyo-India can serve the purpose?

Furthermore if I change only Front speakers, will their "voice" match with the remaining Surround speakers? Pls advice.

Thanks in advance!!!

Pls mention Budget,

If I consider 20k then few opt,

Your receiver is rated @ 8 ohm So you can go for Wharf,Jamo, Sonodyne,Sanen, yamaha

Now Wharfdale diamond 9 is available for 9k & Centre for 8k
So total for 2 pairs 9 for 18k + 8k centr =26k
You can 1st go for centre frts for 17k & later upgrade.

Yam centre surr for 12k to 15k,surr can be used for frt too.

Jamo centre surr almost for same .

I did the same with Onk HTS-580 & upgraded to Tany F1 & centre.
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1167-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-14.html

In case my budget doesn't cover them do you think relatively cheaper Bookshelf speakers from Onkyo-India can serve the purpose?
...Furthermore if I change only Front speakers, will their "voice" match with the remaining Surround speakers? Pls advice.

If you are on a limited budget then going the onkyo way is not too bad. The speakers that come with CR515 are pretty decent for the price. During 2007 AVExpo in Blore, the onkyo guys were willing to give them away for 5k.

2-Way Bass Reflex Speakers
D-N9BX(D)

These ones are similar specifications.
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

But, if you can stretch a little bit. Do try the Diamond 9.1 as spirovious suggested. Its an excellent speaker for the price.

Cheers.

Hi,
My present budget for additional front speakers is 5k per speaker. I hope the D302E and D-N7 mentioned in your Onkyo-India link can fall in that. (Maybe after two years I can think about putting 10k per speaker like for Wharfedale Diamond 9)

What do you think if I take out the speakers from existing small "Front boxes" of HT-S3100 and get them installed in a bigger wooden Bass-reflex box? This may void my warranty on the "fronts" but I expect to get "Voice matching" automatically with the remaining speakers in the set + it should work out much cheaper thank 5k per box/cabinet.

Can anyone suggest a "Pro" custom speaker box builder in Pune?

Thanks to all guys who are giving me advice on this. Maybe many others like me having entry-level budget will benefit with this discussion.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back