Onkyo HT-S5100 vs Sony HT-DDW1600.

xotiq

Hello all, this is my first post. Need help with Onkyo HT-S5100 and Sony HT-DDW1600.

I did hear the Sony HT-DDW1600 at 2 places, one sounded great, the other pathetic. Not yet had a chance to listen to the Onkyo. NEed help with deciding, and if there is any other system at this price, please let me know.

Hello all, this is my first post. Need help with Onkyo HT-S5100 and Sony HT-DDW1600.

I did hear the Sony HT-DDW1600 at 2 places, one sounded great, the other pathetic. Not yet had a chance to listen to the Onkyo. NEed help with deciding, and if there is any other system at this price, please let me know.

For a HT System you are better off with an Onkyo. Sony does not really make great HT Systems unless you are looking for a HTIB which is something you should stay away from. Get a dedicated HT System and the Onkyo HT-S5100 certainly is a good buy.

THanks, Seems like anything electronic gets obsolete pretty soon......:) any suggestions if the 5100 has enough inputs/outputs regarding upgradation?

Also, since i will be listening to music more than watching movies....is this the right choice?

THanks, Seems like anything electronic gets obsolete pretty soon......:) any suggestions if the 5100 has enough inputs/outputs regarding upgradation?

Also, since i will be listening to music more than watching movies....is this the right choice?

From what I have learnt and picked up an Onkyo/Yahama are better suited for movies and for music you are better off with some other amp like Cambridge Audio, NAD, etc. Coming to connectivity the 5100 with HDMI is good, it only comes down to how many HDMI inputs/outputs do you need?

From my personal experience 2 channel audio like Audio CD, mp3, etc. will not sound that great on an Onkyo in 5.1. Music encoded in 5.1 DTS sounds great though. You can use the 5100 AV Receiver for 2 channel only connecting the FL and FR speakers i.e. B speakers on the Onkyo AV to output 2 channels for you musical needs. I am sure other more experienced members will chip in with more valuable information.

Onkyo HT - S5100 was quoted around 39k, does anyone have an update on current prices?:confused:

onkyo HTS is better than sony

cost of onkyo 5100 is 39000 @ Reliance digital, Navi Mumbai

Onkyo HT - S5100 was quoted around 39k, does anyone have an update on current prices?:confused:

onkyo HTS is better than sony

cost of onkyo 5100 is 39000 @ Reliance digital, Navi Mumbai

My friend got this from US, last week for USD 370.00 or Rs. 18000.
More than double price in India!!

Do Indians have more disposal income!?? Pathetic!

My friend got this from US, last week for USD 370.00 or Rs. 18000.
More than double price in India!!

Do Indians have more disposal income!?? Pathetic!

how did your friend manage to get the 5100 from US. its comes in a huge box given that the sub is very big!! I am sure customs guys would have had a good time there. technically, you need to add the customs (bribe) also to the price. ;)

how did your friend manage to get the 5100 from US. its comes in a huge box given that the sub is very big!! I am sure customs guys would have had a good time there. technically, you need to add the customs (bribe) also to the price. ;)

Actually it has not yet arrived. It will be coming on 24th Dec. I shall let you know the outcome. He is planning to pack them in 2 suitcases, plus couple of surround speakers in cabin baggage.

It should fit in his baggage allowance of 25k. But any idea what is the custom's duty? Even if it is say 25%, add 4.5K. Maybe also excess baggage of 2.5k.
So still at 25k, it's much cheaper than 39!!

Actually it has not yet arrived. It will be coming on 24th Dec. I shall let you know the outcome. He is planning to pack them in 2 suitcases, plus couple of surround speakers in cabin baggage.

It should fit in his baggage allowance of 25k. But any idea what is the custom's duty? Even if it is say 25%, add 4.5K. Maybe also excess baggage of 2.5k.
So still at 25k, it's much cheaper than 39!!

So did your friend get the 5100 from US? Was the process smooth and how did he pack the huge sub?
On this subject, one aspect you need to be very careful is that your AVR should have dual voltage. Most AVRs in US have 120V only and that means you have to use a stepdown voltage transformer. Any improper voltage calibration will wreck the system. Another factor to consider is - does the warranty hold good in India. If not then its another issue. I am not trying to justify the cost of 39k but only some things to be careful with.

So did your friend get the 5100 from US? Was the process smooth and how did he pack the huge sub?
On this subject, one aspect you need to be very careful is that your AVR should have dual voltage. Most AVRs in US have 120V only and that means you have to use a stepdown voltage transformer. Any improper voltage calibration will wreck the system. Another factor to consider is - does the warranty hold good in India. If not then its another issue. I am not trying to justify the cost of 39k but only some things to be careful with.

Yes, all went smooth. No excess baggage & no customs duty. He was carrying very limited personal clothing etc., He also had 2 notebooks, which could be imported without any duties. He had an usually high suitcase which fitted the sub. On the whole I can say he's quite lucky for everything to fall in place. One cannot expect a normal traveler to get this 5100.

Yes you are correct about the step down transformer. It has been already planned and sourced. It costs 2k (1000 w - MX - Maxcom transformer)

So total cost 20K, you still have another 20K at your disposal for any repairs within one year;)

Yes, all went smooth. No excess baggage & no customs duty. He was carrying very limited personal clothing etc., He also had 2 notebooks, which could be imported without any duties. He had an usually high suitcase which fitted the sub. On the whole I can say he's quite lucky for everything to fall in place. One cannot expect a normal traveler to get this 5100.

Yes you are correct about the step down transformer. It has been already planned and sourced. It costs 2k (1000 w - MX - Maxcom transformer)

So total cost 20K, you still have another 20K at your disposal for any repairs within one year;)

20k sounds good man!! ya, i would agree with the 1 yr repairs if any. On a very practical side, you can still import just a hi end receiver for 1/2 the price abroad and source the speakers in india.

20k sounds good man!! ya, i would agree with the 1 yr repairs if any. On a very practical side, you can still import just a hi end receiver for 1/2 the price abroad and source the speakers in india.

Yes, receiver from abroad and good floor speakers like the Polk etc.,
This is most practical indeed!

Now that I have recently purchased the 5105 for 27K, may think of adding a Polk pair @20K, maybe in one year:eek:

I think I've gone around recommending this all over the place, but this is a deal that dejavu007 got recently at Onkyo. For 33,000 bucks he got the following:

• Onkyo 506 AVR
  • Pure Acoustics Dream Nano 5-speaker package
  • Onkyo 204 sub with adjustable volume and continuously adjustable crossover frequency
  • all cables

This is a very decent sounding system for the price, and much better than the Onkyo 5105.

I think I've gone around recommending this all over the place, but this is a deal that dejavu007 got recently at Onkyo. For 33,000 bucks he got the following:

• Onkyo 506 AVR
  • Pure Acoustics Dream Nano 5-speaker package
  • Onkyo 204 sub with adjustable volume and continuously adjustable crossover frequency
  • all cables

This is a very decent sounding system for the price, and much better than the Onkyo 5105.

I had checked this out in Mumbai. I came across only in Dee shop @ 42k
but Onkyo 304 AVR.

that's a scam then, this is from the official Onkyo dealer in Chennai, and the 304 is a couple of generations behind the 506.

NO you are mistaken it is with 304 only. Just checked with Onkyo showroom in Chennai. They offer it for 35K. And NO speaker cables.

Offered same price for 5105.

For a HT System you are better off with an Onkyo. Sony does not really make great HT Systems unless you are looking for a HTIB which is something you should stay away from. Get a dedicated HT System and the Onkyo HT-S5100 certainly is a good buy.

Where is Sony AVR ES series available in India?

he he, that means you need to bargain more :), this is something that dejavu007 bargained and got for himself....please tell them that he has got the combo that i described above for 33k all inclusive.....

NO you are mistaken it is with 304 only. Just checked with Onkyo showroom in Chennai. They offer it for 35K. And NO speaker cables.

Offered same price for 5105.

he he, that means you need to bargain more :), this is something that dejavu007 bargained and got for himself....please tell them that he has got the combo that i described above for 33k all inclusive.....

I only checked out the price and what they offer. Since I do not intend to buy there was no point bargaining. But the point is that they never offered 506. The package always included 304. And it will be impossible to get along with 506 for that bargain price of 33k, that too with speaker cables.

And how can you be sure? Have you purchased it or been quoted for it? I guess you have only heard someone claim it, right?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back